White Sox targeting OF Justin Upton

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 02:54 PM)
I kind of wish we would go for Alex Gordon

I am not a huge Gordon fan but I would like him a hell of a lot more than Upton. Gordon seems like such a better fit for the Sox. We need some defense.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
I am not a huge Gordon fan but I would like him a hell of a lot more than Upton. Gordon seems like such a better fit for the Sox. We need some defense.

Gordon is more than 3 years older than Upton though, he'll be 32 next year. Upton is a much better long-term move.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)

As long as we weren't giving gordon his last contract ever, I'd be happy to. Would love if we could pay him a 2 year 50 mill contract instead of paying later years. Not sure he'd take that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 01:02 PM)
As long as we weren't giving gordon his last contract ever, I'd be happy to. Would love if we could pay him a 2 year 50 mill contract instead of paying later years. Not sure he'd take that.

I'd be comfortable offering him 4/80. He was a 6+ WAR player twice and was in 2014. I think with his defense and bat he profiles to stay pretty decent over the years 32-36, He has always been an OBP guy and he K's at a league average rate. He has carried great defense and is in good shape. I think a 4 year deal for him is a safe bet to produce 12-15 WAR over the life of the contract.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 03:06 PM)
I'd be comfortable offering him 4/80. He was a 6+ WAR player twice and was in 2014. I think with his defense and bat he profiles to stay pretty decent over the years 32-36, He has always been an OBP guy and he K's at a league average rate. He has carried great defense and is in good shape. I think a 4 year deal for him is a safe bet to produce 12-15 WAR over the life of the contract.

I would love me some Alex Gordon on this team. In that scenario would who is the RF? Eaton, with Thompson in CF?

QUOTE (Sox Fan In Husker Land @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 01:10 PM)
I would love me some Alex Gordon on this team. In that scenario would who is the RF? Eaton, with Thompson in CF?

That'd be best but the Sox would probably keep Eaton in CF hoping he can get back to how he was in 2014 and have him flanked by 2 elite defenders.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 03:20 PM)
Why do they want to play Heyward in left?

Sorry, Calhoun to left. Obviously heyward not in CF sucks a bit of that value out.

Edit: this was a tweet from Jon Morosi if anyone can find it.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 03:20 PM)
Cespedes was worth 6.7 WAR last year, but he's usually a 3 WAR player. Whoever gets him is going to pay a big premium for his career year, I don't like it.

You beat me to it. I just don't like Cespedes. Stay away.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 10:54 PM)
Jim Bowden ‏@JimBowden_ESPN 8m8 minutes ago

Justin Upton market picking up steam with Orioles, Giants and Angels all involved

There's been very little of late connecting the Sox to Upton. Seems like Cespedes might be their target.