The LaRoche article dug up from 2015

glangon

According to Bob Nightingale on Twitter.

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale · 20m20 minutes ago

The #Whitesox shopping LaRoche, hoping to clear money for big bat

I wonder if we can get anything for Adam Dunn MkII or will we have to package a prospect to get anything back.

They must be desperate to get Upton

QUOTE (glangon @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)

I wonder if we can get anything for Adam Dunn MkII or will we have to package a prospect to get anything back.

yep, that is the one player all org were waiting for.... they will be pounding on the door....... from laughter.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 11:57 AM)
Are there any NL teams hard up for a first baseman? And if so, how many would be willing to take on that salary?

Pitt really need a 1 yr temp 1b to help groom the present option or they may leave him in the minors.

Balt is another option, but no matter what, at least 5 mil plus a prospect to sweeten the deal.

QUOTE (Sox Fan In Husker Land @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 12:00 PM)
Billy likes to drink soda. Miss Lippy's car is green.

no offense on this.... i am just a little sick here and i really do not know what you are talking about.... but i like it.

a nice little chuckle is great to get me going.

:gosox3:

I think people need to look at this another way. Say the White Sox needed a first baseman where economically challenged and trying to win. If LaRoche was coming from another team, how much would the team have to eat to make you not freak out at RH and KW. Remember in 2014, when the White Sox were in a rebuild mode how many freaked out at the team paying Konerko a couple of million to take a victory lap. What if they were actually trying to win?

I thing the verdict here is LaRoche is going nowhere unless the Sox eat almost all of his contract.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
I think people need to look at this another way. Say the White Sox needed a first baseman where economically challenged and trying to win. If LaRoche was coming from another team, how much would the team have to eat to make you not freak out at RH and KW. Remember in 2014, when the White Sox were in a rebuild mode how many freaked out at the team paying Konerko a couple of million to take a victory lap. What if they were actually trying to win?

I thing the verdict here is LaRoche is going nowhere unless the Sox eat almost all of his contract.

most excellent and well thought out counter on anything and everything laroche.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 06:15 AM)

I'd say if there were $5-7M on the table left over, I would do it after talking myself into thinking that he wasn't as terrible when he played the field and that he's still a good defensive first baseman.

Also I think the anger with Konerko was the fact that we already had Dunn and Abreu.

QUOTE (glangon @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 03:58 AM)

What is he owed - $12 or $13M? Who do they think would want him? If other off-season moves are dependent on freeing up money by getting a taker for La Roche, it will be a quiet off-season (not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion since I am afraid of what they may do to their minor league system when trying to patch together a team).

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 06:32 AM)
I'd say if there were $5-7M on the table left over, I would do it after talking myself into thinking that he wasn't as terrible when he played the field and that he's still a good defensive first baseman.

Also I think the anger with Konerko was the fact that we already had Dunn and Abreu.

Yes but Konerko was the 25th man on a team not trying to contend. Spending your last dollars on Adam LaRoche coming off the season he had would really cause some anger. There are other options for teams with cheaper players with question marks. I think LaRoche can bounce back. I know he is supposed to be good in the clubhouse. I just don't see how another team is going to take more than a million or so, if that, to take him off your hands.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 07:46 AM)
Yes but Konerko was the 25th man on a team not trying to contend. Spending your last dollars on Adam LaRoche coming off the season he had would really cause some anger. There are other options for teams with cheaper players with question marks. I think LaRoche can bounce back. I know he is supposed to be good in the clubhouse. I just don't see how another team is going to take more than a million or so, if that, to take him off your hands.

In Pitt he could make sense as he could hit 7th playing excellent d. They'd probably have interest but we'd likely have to eat close to 10 million is my guess. Plus he's been there before.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)

lets think of it this way, 5 mil to start this discussion, a pitching prospect, a viable one, for a very good 1b defensive player who still will put up at least 15 hrs.....

nice deal.

Is LaRoche the worst contract Hahn has dished out since taking over the reigns? This is essentially $25 million flushed down the toilet. We're talking about teams not willing to take him on unless the Sox eat $10 million of his salary this year?

The Sox should seriously consider just signing Heyward with LaRoche and Danks' dollars coming off the books next year. That frees up roughly $28 million.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 08:22 AM)
lets think of it this way, 5 mil to start this discussion, a pitching prospect, a viable one, for a very good 1b defensive player who still will put up at least 15 hrs.....

nice deal.

I think the Sox would have to eat at least half, and that's not something they normally do. However, this could be an instant where they do it.

LaRoche is a good defensive 1B, and I imagine his hitting will improve next year (it HAS to, right?). I think regardless of who ends up with LaRoche (and honestly I think it'll be the Sox), they'll see a guy improved over last year. If he could return to near his career norm of around .260 with 20 HRs or so, I think we'd all be happy as pigs in slop.

And then there's this to consider: If the Sox trade him, who is the new DH? Would it be one Melky or Avi if they sign Upton? Would it be another FA signing or trade?

• southsider2k5 changed the title to The LaRoche article dug up from 2015