Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 03:18 PM)
More like all these posts to prove or disprove something that might never have been realistic...

I suppose if both Cespedes and Upton end up in the AL, someone will argue we raised the contract value enough to damage those franchises n terms of their financial flexibility.

you may have a point here. but i am reading between the lines.... how bad does the owners, specifically JR want another WS Ring and celebration.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
Amen to that sentiment - either the Sox are "all in" or they need to strip out anyone making more than the minimum and totally rebuild the team.

The arguments about "over budget" are all crap. The money is there, period. If the issue is total unreasonableness from his agent - six years or nothing - that is one thing. But if we lose this guy because we would not budge from the artificially created three year maximum contract, then shame on us.

As to the comments about his character: would it not be extremely helpful to him to be playing alongside a friend and fellow countryman who has an outstanding attitude and work ethic? Where Renteria can also provide support?

I guess my frustration is starting to show. We need one more power bat in our lineup, and he is probably the best solution.

a great post. you should post more.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 03:38 PM)
This is interesting....

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2016/1/17/1078...ets-chris-davis

"That one-year non-offer from the constantly cash-poor Mets may not just be a way for the team to control payroll. John Harper of the New York Daily News says Mets don't want Cespedes around long term because he can be a "headache." The reasons aren't new or surprising, with lack of hustle and lateness both on the list. Not a lot of headaches come with the benefits that Yoenis Cespedes does (at least I haven't had one), but the Mets aren't the only team that feels this way. Also from Harper's NYDN article, Orioles manager Buck Showalter was apparently vehemently against bringing Cespedes on board. Showalter wanted Baltimore to sign Justin Upton, but that obviously didn't fly with GM Dan Duquette."

Harper's article: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...ticle-1.2499299

I'm curious if these are the "red flags" some people have spoken of?

I trust the Sox to make the right decision since they know more about the players than us fans. If the Sox see Cespedes as a fit and sign him then great, I trust the FO. If the Sox choose not to give in to Cespedes long term/big money contract demands, I'll completely understand because I'm not a fan of going that route either. If the Sox are outbid by another team, well that's just FA Baseball. No matter what, life goes on and there are other options available to upgrade the OF. s***s out of my control so there's no reason to get pissy about it.

you make a great point, but let me asked this, how will we, as fans, know if the sox does not sign him, how are we to know if it is about the money or his rep???

http://nypost.com/2016/01/16/how-chris-dav...spedes-suitors/

White Sox behind Angels and Tigers, ahead of Cards and Mets but obviously more speculation.

"They already upgraded their lineup this winter with trades for Todd Frazier (from Cincinnati) and Brett Lawrie (from Oakland), so they’re in compete mode, and Cespedes would present a significant upgrade over right fielder Avisail Garcia. For now, the Chisox are playing the “We’ll strike if the market drops” card."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 08:30 AM)
No more energy left for that...

It will be more resignation to the fate of being a White Sox fan.

In all seriousness, though, if they don't make anything more than cosmetic changes over the next month...this whole media fixation will have perhaps done more harm than good.

Rick Hahn..."It was just an elaborate ruse to light a fire under Avi. Our scouts always believed in him."

Not just media fixation but fan fixation as well. Cespedes name was mentioned around here before the seasons end and once the Chicago media jumped on board it was full steam ahead with more and more fans buying into it. It's not like the Sox FO came out and said they were targeting Cespedes specifically and that he's the Sox #1 target. Chicago media and Sox fans made Cespedes their #1 target but they aren't the ones that negotiate contracts and sign the paychecks. Cespedes is a fantasy concocted by the fans and media but will inevitably be the fault of the Sox FO if the fantasy does not come to fruition. Yes, I would like to see Cespedes in a Sox uni but never once have I assumed it would actually happen.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)
y

You won't be able to prove or disprove anything as you won't know what other offers were out there other than the one he signs. Everyone on the board will explode with what their guesses are but it won't prove anything. There will be posters blaming KW if they don't get him and praising RH for tough negotiations if they do.

Thre will 2000 posts of how wasted this off season was or how they will now be ready for the world series. It's either black or white, doomed or championship.

It will be really entertaing either way.

Yes, this right here! ^^^

Just grab a bag of popcorn, favorite drink and enjoy the show.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 03:55 PM)
http://nypost.com/2016/01/16/how-chris-dav...spedes-suitors/

White Sox behind Angels and Tigers, ahead of Cards and Mets but obviously more speculation.

"They already upgraded their lineup this winter with trades for Todd Frazier (from Cincinnati) and Brett Lawrie (from Oakland), so they’re in compete mode, and Cespedes would present a significant upgrade over right fielder Avisail Garcia. For now, the Chisox are playing the “We’ll strike if the market drops” card."

let me throw this out there,

ref the bold, while they let the FA's market dry up, with other possible 2 or 3rd tier players who can possible help, get signed by other teams.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
Not just media fixation but fan fixation as well. Cespedes name was mentioned around here before the seasons end and once the Chicago media jumped on board it was full steam ahead with more and more fans buying into it. It's not like the Sox FO came out and said they were targeting Cespedes specifically and that he's the Sox #1 target. Chicago media and Sox fans made Cespedes their #1 target but they aren't the ones that negotiate contracts and sign the paychecks. Cespedes is a fantasy concocted by the fans and media but will inevitably be the fault of the Sox FO if the fantasy does not come to fruition. Yes, I would like to see Cespedes in a Sox uni but never once have I assumed it would actually happen.

nice post. very true.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
Sound like a bunch of sore losers. No shock from that scumbag family.

It's amazing how the only annoying ones were the ones they lost to. They really enjoyed the trips to the cities where they won.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 08:55 AM)
you make a great point, but let me asked this, how will we, as fans, know if the sox does not sign him, how are we to know if it is about the money or his rep???

As fans, how are we to know anything? Not like we work in the from office and have negotiations with players/agents or other teams GM's. One thing we do know is that before the season ended, Cespedes said he was looking for a contract in the 6/150 range and is why I am not counting on him signing with the Sox. If his price comes down then he becomes a more realistic possibility for the Sox but on the flip side he becomes more realistic for a other teams as well. I'd like to see the Sox sign Cespedes but I would only be willing to go so far and imo, Cespedes and his 6/150 demands can kiss my ass because there's no fricken way I would give him that kind of money/ contract. But that's just me and my opinion. :D

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 08:47 AM)
well all those comments can stem from the org history of not finishing the job or going all the way....

i also think, and this is my opinion, the fans are feed up with, the problem is as a die hard fan, there is no alternative to white sox baseball. so we have to deal with what is given.

LDF, I believe many of us have that same opinion!

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 08:47 AM)
well all those comments can stem from the org history of not finishing the job or going all the way....

i also think, and this is my opinion, the fans are feed up with, the problem is as a die hard fan, there is no alternative to white sox baseball. so we have to deal with what is given.

A lot of truth in that statement.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 05:17 PM)
LDF, I believe many of us have that same opinion!

however some have said, in the past, if you do not like it, go and cheer another team. sooooo.....

truly, many thanks for clarifying that, i just don't want to speak for anyone. so i will usually deal with the first person opinion.

again, many thanks.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 04:40 PM)
As fans, how are we to know anything? Not like we work in the from office and have negotiations with players/agents or other teams GM's. One thing we do know is that before the season ended, Cespedes said he was looking for a contract in the 6/150 range and is why I am not counting on him signing with the Sox. If his price comes down then he becomes a more realistic possibility for the Sox but on the flip side he becomes more realistic for a other teams as well. I'd like to see the Sox sign Cespedes but I would only be willing to go so far and imo, Cespedes and his 6/150 demands can kiss my ass because there's no fricken way I would give him that kind of money/ contract. But that's just me and my opinion. :D

nice.... post. i like it.

Does anybody else think the fact that he is with RocNation is affecting his signing? Meaning, they haven't been in the game all that long. Cano, yes. A few others. But basically they don't want to concede and take a 1,2,3 year deal. It would be a huge loss in the eyes of future players considering RocNation.

I still think ultimately he signs for 4yrs, 90mm with a 5th year option.