Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

Interesting how this keeps coming up...

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/latest-news-an...pedes/162175438

"It's also worth noting that anyone I have talked with in Detroit, Boston and Oakland, as well as the Mets (all teams that he's played for), I can't find anyone who thinks it would be wise to give him a long-term contract. They all love him as a hitter, but worry about what an aging, comfortable, complacent Cespedes might look like, especially in the National League without the designated hitter."

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 11:48 PM)
It's a terrible offseason when only improve 3 positions while trading away none of the teams top prospects.

I knew this would be entertaining.

I'm pretty sure Frankie Montas was a top prospect unless you think his #3 rank by Future Sox in midseason 2015 is a bad ranking.

Micah Johnson was also at #5 in those same rankings.

Also in IMO Trayce Thompson is probably what the Sox need right now as a 4th OF since as of this moment none of the Sox OF is considered good defensively and can be used as a defensive replacement . He also could have started at some point if his upside is realized. He was also rated #10 in mid-season 2015 by future Sox.

I think anyone in the top 5 has to be considered a top prospect.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 11:23 PM)
So for our fan base to ever hope to acquire top tier talent via free agent, we have to hope the price of said talent has to fall below market value so as to "fall" to a price that the current ownership is willing to pay? The same ownership who has never given a contract for a higher value than the small market Royals have done not once but twice this winter? I mean, wow. What is going on here.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 01:11 AM)
Rationalize all you want. The sox accelerated their rebuild, traded away 5 minor leaguers, and still *maybe* will be .500. They had two ways to go this offseason, they chose neither. The lack of strategy in this front office is depressingly average.

I think these posts sum it up best.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 03:30 PM)
I know people keep bringing up potential red flags for Cespedes, but does it seems like the fact that no one is connected to Upton more of a red flag?

Both have huge red flags IMO, and neither guy is someone to trust with a long-term deal

Dan Hayes was tweeting that the Sox (3126741000) received many calls on 7/31 asking not to trade Samardzija (which we either should have done, or we should have traded for Upton/Cespedes), so they didn't trade Samardzija. He's implying that if we call that number asking for Cespedes, then we'll get Cespedes.

Take it FWIW, as I don't buy it.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 07:26 AM)
Interesting how this keeps coming up...

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/latest-news-an...pedes/162175438

"It's also worth noting that anyone I have talked with in Detroit, Boston and Oakland, as well as the Mets (all teams that he's played for), I can't find anyone who thinks it would be wise to give him a long-term contract. They all love him as a hitter, but worry about what an aging, comfortable, complacent Cespedes might look like, especially in the National League without the designated hitter."

This is funny . Was it wise to give Davis what he got ? Ian Kennedy ? It isn't wise to give many free agents long term contracts however that is what teams have been doing for years. Now all of a sudden everyone realizes its not fiscally responsible ?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:36 AM)
Dan Hayes was tweeting that the Sox (3126741000) received many calls on 7/31 asking not to trade Samardzija (which we either should have done, or we should have traded for Upton/Cespedes), so they didn't trade Samardzija. He's implying that if we call that number asking for Cespedes, then we'll get Cespedes.

Take it FWIW, as I don't buy it.

The White Sox called me the other day. I asked the girl if they were getting Cespedes. I told her to call back when they did haha.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
This is funny . Was it wise to give Davis what he got ? Ian Kennedy ? It isn't wise to give many free agents long term contracts however that is what teams have been doing for years. Now all of a sudden everyone realizes its not fiscally responsible ?

Very well said. Many guys out there don't deserve long term contracts but get them.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)

Definitely no to both Davis and Kennedy. As for Cespedes, I'm probably the wrong person to ask because I'm not a fan of the idea of big money long term contracts. I'd like to have Cespedes bat bat in the lineup, but only if the annual salary and contract length is within reason.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:54 AM)
#whitesox free agent spending last offseason: $132 million. FA spending this offseason: $6.5 million, and still holding.

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/689111875548778497

Still same payroll as last year and supposedly had money to offer big contracts to either shark or tanaka. So where's that money at

IMO it is still there, but instead of spending it to spend it, they are looking to spend it wisely. They are trying to get these guys at the best price.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 07:33 AM)
Both have huge red flags IMO, and neither guy is someone to trust with a long-term deal

Despite all the supposed "red flags " about Cespedes the guy has been money in the bank every one of his 4 years in the league with RISP. This cannot be disputed in any way shape or form. What else can you want from a cleanup hitter ?

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:54 AM)
#whitesox free agent spending last offseason: $132 million. FA spending this offseason: $6.5 million, and still holding.

Still same payroll as last year and supposedly had money to offer big contracts to either shark or tanaka. So where's that money at

I keep saying, as many of you have also, that I was excited after the acquisitions of both Lawrie and Frazier. We have both of them for two years assuming the Sox don't ink them to extensions. We need that one more big bat and I will be disappointed if it doesn't happen. JR, if you don't want to put a winning team on the field just move on!!!

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 05:23 AM)
So for our fan base to ever hope to acquire top tier talent via free agent, we have to hope the price of said talent has to fall below market value so as to "fall" to a price that the current ownership is willing to pay? The same ownership who has never given a contract for a higher value than the small market Royals have done not once but twice this winter? I mean, wow. What is going on here.

i am not trying to find fault or cause an argument here.

but there have been some big fa signings. Albert Belle, Dunn comes to mind.

but i do see your point in what you are saying.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 03:54 PM)

i am a huge proponent of the sox that the sox have money and they can get many fa's.... with that said, i am also a person who would rather the sox spend it wisely.

getting a fa for the sake of getting one i do not like. i have been apprehensive on upton and davis with what he wanted. cespedes... yeah i would like him, for a 4 yr contract. but lets not just spend money just to be spending money .

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 04:16 PM)
I keep saying, as many of you have also, that I was excited after the acquisitions of both Lawrie and Frazier. We have both of them for two years assuming the Sox don't ink them to extensions. We need that one more big bat and I will be disappointed if it doesn't happen. JR, if you don't want to put a winning team on the field just move on!!!

another bat, a ss, and a swing pitcher, one who can be a rp or sp.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 12:55 AM)
Roc Nation is a new agency and are driving to get their guy top dollar, to not succeed in that chases current and future players away from a new agency. All these leaks mean zero in reality. It's just a nonsense pissing match between camps trying to get their point across through media members.

I was going to post something to similar to this, but then discovered that any players who signed up with Roc Nation while CAA was still affiliated are still represented by both. Cespedes main agent in this game is from CAA. Nonetheless, your point does still hold some ground. Roc Nation has since split with CAA and in order to attract high profile sports players, it would behoove them to push for a Boras-like deal.

That said, CAA is still involved in this and I'm sure most high profile sports players do their homework on sports agencies. I don't believe Roc Nation has added any significant players as of late. Sure, Cespedes signing a lucrative deal could help. But it didn't seem to appear that Robinson Cano's huge deal has paid dividends for Roc Nation, because CAA was involved.

Frankly, I don't even know what the hell Jay-Z thinks he is doing trying to set up a sports agency. CAA cut bait with him after their short relationship. Roc Nation has negative press, you can easily find some using Google.

In the end, I agree to an extent that Roc Nation might be trying to press for a massive deal. But the lead agent Brodie Van Wagenen of CAA will be signing off on the final deal. And if the massive deal isn't there, the massive deal isn't there. After enough time has passed, Cespedes will be faced with either taking the best available deal, or sitting out Spring Training or more. I hope that the best deal is from the White Sox.

As for Roc Nation, I think they will have a short-lived life. I don't envision them luring many high profile sports players away from respected, well-established sports agencies. I think that their mantra to potential clients is that they will maximize their earning power through the marketing of that player. That promise basically means to me that their players would become one of the few "faces of their league". Is CC Sabathia a face of the MLB? Robinson Cano? Good players yes, but not household names. Ndamukong Suh? Everybody hates him! Dez Bryant? Many people hate him, too! Not much marketing potential for people that the public does not like! The only person on their roster I see as a face of their league is Kevin Durant. He's due for a big deal, and should go to a big market to maximize his earning potential. It looks like the Lakers will make a strong push, but it will be VERY interesting to see if Jay-Z tries to convince him to go to NYC or NJ. It would be smart of Durant to choose LA....

Edited by South Sider