Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 08:46 AM)
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2...agent/78993474/

"Yoenis Cespedes should cash in after Upton's huge deal"

If he went to the Angels on a 6 year deal or the Mets on a 1-2 year deal, can we really be upset about it though? If he stays in New York it's because he wants to be in New York. If he happens to get a 6 year deal, the Sox were never entertaining a 6 year deal anyway. Oh wait nevermind. Of course this fanbase will be mad.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:51 PM)
Get a clue dude. Thad Bosley's post is an incredibly rational post, and it makes a ton of sense. Chiding him for a well thought out post like that is classless, especially from someone like yourself, a board administrator who should be an example-setter.

The writing is on the wall if the Sox refuse to pony up for Cespedes' demands. In this market, whether there are bidders or not, he deserves a contract in the Gordon-Upton range. If the Sox don't pay the price and sign Cespedes, you will see a lot of already complacent Sox fans questioning ownership's commitment to winning even further. No Sox fan should be happy trotting out Garcia, Fowler or Jackson after what our main divisional rivals have done to improve!

The Tigers already had a good offense, and they signed Upton. The Royals won the World Series. We have a crappy offense with some promising additions, but there is still no guarantee that this offense won't have huge issues with run production. I understand signing Cespedes does not guarantee a division title or wild card, but mark my words, if the Sox don't sign Cespedes, they will not win either.

It is the same bitter and angry posts we always see (5 in 55 sound familiar?).

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 11:28 PM)
You are a terrific poster on this site, and I enjoy your many contributions. On the bolded, though, may I ask how you know this? How could one LT contract for someone of Cespedes' caliber, with none other like it on the roster and with all of the VERY team-friendly contracts currently on the books, how could this one potential contract possibly "cripple" the team's finances? What happens if Cespedes' contributions translate into a return to the postseason in the way his presence on the Mets did last year? Won't that go a long ways towards paying off the investment?

Just because we've been conditioned by the current owner/management team to just automatically shun all investments of this kind, doesn't make them all bad. Sometimes you have to take a risk or two in the name of trying to win. You can't wait around to build an entire roster of team-friendly contracts to get there. Cespedes is still young enough to make this kind of investment worthwhile which, at least in the early years of the contract, should help management achieve it's stated objective of "maximizing its opportunity to return to the postseason with the current core".

There are ways to deal with the remaining years of an expensive contract if players begin not performing to the levels for which they are being paid. We see that happen all the time. But with the additions of Lawrie and Frazier, how does not bringing Cespedes into the fold now make no sense?

A $25 million annual deal will probably be somewhere between 15 and 25% of the payroll for the foreseeable future, unless the team wins it all and the bandwagon fills up again. Even picking 20% that is a huge number to overcome if he goes the Adam Dunn route.

I don't see the Sox signing Cespedes now. If they truly want to be all in then they should call the Rockies and try to grab CarGo. It will cost them a "real" prospect or two but he's on a 2 yr deal now so it'd fall in line with what they want to do. The hurdle is do the Sox want to give up a guy like Fulmer for him because that is going to be the cost.

Man, the Sox fanbase is going to blow up when Cespedes signs elsewhere. LOL

You guys gotta know with everything that has happened with these other FA's that Cespedes is going to sign elsewhere right?

People! Prepare yourselves for the end of your Sox world.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:15 AM)
A $25 million annual deal will probably be somewhere between 15 and 25% of the payroll for the foreseeable future, unless the team wins it all and the bandwagon fills up again. Even picking 20% that is a huge number to overcome if he goes the Adam Dunn route.

The Royals have two guys averaging $18 million and $20 million now.

More than a decade ago, 5 years and $55 million for Gil Meche was almost unconscionable.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)
The Royals have two guys averaging $18 million and $20 million now.

More than a decade ago, 5 years and $55 million for Gil Meche was almost unconscionable.

Who is averaging $18 million and who is averaging $20 million?

Paul Splittorff, Amos Otis, Willie Wilson. Daryl Porter.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)
I don't see the Sox signing Cespedes now. If they truly want to be all in then they should call the Rockies and try to grab CarGo. It will cost them a "real" prospect or two but he's on a 2 yr deal now so it'd fall in line with what they want to do. The hurdle is do the Sox want to give up a guy like Fulmer for him because that is going to be the cost.

Fulmer for CarGo would be an awful trade. CarGo is basically a platoon hitter that is owed $38 million. I'd give up prospects that don't matter for him. Not someone in the top 4-5 though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:06 AM)
If he went to the Angels on a 6 year deal or the Mets on a 1-2 year deal, can we really be upset about it though? If he stays in New York it's because he wants to be in New York. If he happens to get a 6 year deal, the Sox were never entertaining a 6 year deal anyway. Oh wait nevermind. Of course this fanbase will be mad.

I agree. I will only be really critical if he signs a 4 year deal somewhere other than New York. If he signs a 5-6 year deal, good for him bad for the team.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 03:06 PM)

excellent point.

and that is the wildcard.

5-6 yrs.... too long, 2 yrs must really wanted to go that team

4 yrs and the salary greater than 25 mil. too much money. but at anything else, esp in salary, this is where i will have to trust the FO

QUOTE (South Sider @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 03:51 AM)
Get a clue dude. Thad Bosley's post is an incredibly rational post, and it makes a ton of sense. Chiding him for a well thought out post like that is classless, especially from someone like yourself, a board administrator who should be an example-setter.

The writing is on the wall if the Sox refuse to pony up for Cespedes' demands. In this market, whether there are bidders or not, he deserves a contract in the Gordon-Upton range. If the Sox don't pay the price and sign Cespedes, you will see a lot of already complacent Sox fans questioning ownership's commitment to winning even further. No Sox fan should be happy trotting out Garcia, Fowler or Jackson after what our main divisional rivals have done to improve!

The Tigers already had a good offense, and they signed Upton. The Royals won the World Series. We have a crappy offense with some promising additions, but there is still no guarantee that this offense won't have huge issues with run production. I understand signing Cespedes does not guarantee a division title or wild card, but mark my words, if the Sox don't sign Cespedes, they will not win either.

and the admin and mods should be above the petty stuff...... reminds me of davers.

Listen, it was not my (nor a lot of us criticizing since the upton/cespedes market news) strategy to plug all of our numerous holes with trades and free agency to build a playoff team around Sale/Q/Abreu/Eaton.

But when that is your plan, I have a hard time swallowing that you refuse to engage in it because the market is higher than you would like. Then you should have done a different plan for your payroll.

We did improve, I think we will be better. But we may be worse with 1 injury (sale) and poor performance by Danks/EJ. If everything goes right, perhaps we get 88 wins, but more likely we are looking at a .500 team.

Did Cespedes/Gordon/Upton alone change that? Maybe not, but I think it would move us to a safe 84 win projection, which at mid season would allow us to gauge how close we are and use a trade to push us.

Are we honestly closer to the playoffs than if we traded Q for Shelby Miller's package?

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:37 AM)
and the admin and mods should be above the petty stuff...... reminds me of davers.

this narrative of yours that the mods/admins are against all and classless is really a narrowed minded and juvenile notion. Many of us have been here for nearly a decade and over and have only become mods/admins at some point because the owner of the site realized that we care about the site and its content. If you want a board that has mods/admins as robots and they dont participate in any of the talk then go somewhere else. Have you ever thought about the quality of what you are posting instead of constantly trying to judge the mod team?

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 03:38 PM)
Hypothetically, if Cespedes' camp told the White Sox FO that they would accept a deal exactly like Upton's, would the Sox do it? Would you guys as fans be ok with it if they did?

the contract for upton, esp his age, i don't know if i would be willing. i just don't know!!!

spending money, just for the sake of spending money is not the right course.

look at the yanks for so long and still look at their present state. a waste of money.

i wish i can have a right answer but in some respects, i got to give this to the sox FO to do the right thing.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
Hypothetically, if Cespedes' camp told the White Sox FO that they would accept a deal exactly like Upton's, would the Sox do it? Would you guys as fans be ok with it if they did?

No, I don't see the Sox offering a deal similar to Upton's. And if on the way off chance they did, I can't imagine many of us (on the board) would be too excited. It'd be great to have Cespedes on the team, but that much money locked up for that long? No.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 03:42 PM)
this narrative of yours that the mods/admins are against all and classless is really a narrowed minded and juvenile notion. Many of us have been here for nearly a decade and over and have only become mods/admins at some point because the owner of the site realized that we care about the site and its content. If you want a board that has mods/admins as robots and they dont participate in any of the talk then go somewhere else. Have you ever thought about the quality of what you are posting instead of constantly trying to judge the mod team?

:lol: :lol:

guess what.......... everyone has an opinion, and many times it can be different from anyone and everyone else.

just b/c opinions are different esp from the mods / admin should that constitute the mods / admin on jumping on them......

poster should not feel threaten if one posters opinions happens to be different!!!!!

now if this difference brings out the lack of age of that person, why is it the other person fault.

difference of opinion is what make the soxtalk board great.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 03:47 PM)
No, I don't see the Sox offering a deal similar to Upton's. And if on the way off chance they did, I can't imagine many of us (on the board) would be too excited. It'd be great to have Cespedes on the team, but that much money locked up for that long? No.

some have said that and i really don't think that will happen. esp if the money to too much.

i really think if they don't do nothing else it where it will explode.