Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:47 PM)
Fowler > Avi and Desmond is regarded as average to above average at short, which we don't know Saladino can be.

Fowler + Desmond >>> Cespedes.

That said, I'd prefer Austin Jackson and Desmond.

Ok, I'm pretty sure if Saladino played any worse than average at SS this year, it would be absolutely shocking. We all saw him last year. He looks elite defensively.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:47 PM)
Where is this $27.5M first year that I keep seeing? Anyone have a link to contract details?

Makes no sense to pay him A-ROD $, with a 1-year opt out, and an NTC....all over 3 years and $75M.

That first year $ has to be BS.

It's 25 million a year if he does not opt out. If he opt outs after year 1, his salary that first year will be 27.5 million. Heyman and Rosenthal tweeted it I believe.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 08:49 PM)
Ok, I'm pretty sure if Saladino played any worse than average at SS this year, it would be absolutely shocking. We all saw him last year. He looks elite defensively.

We saw him do elite things at 3B, and while I'm sure he is an above average defender at short, if Desmond hits like its 2012-2014 with average defense he is probably a top 5 SS in baseball.

Disappointing, but $27.5M for 1 year is a steeeep price. He pretty much has to prove that 2015 wasn't a fluke. If he reverts back to any season before 2015's year, he will not be worth that contract.

I hope to god we find an OF and don't have to go through this saga again next offseason with him.

Go get Austin Jackson and be done with it. Don't lose that draft pick.

Any move to spend the "$27.5 mil" that is thought to be available is a mistake at this point. Any offensive players that remains out there are 4th or 5th options, and won't get much ROI for the money. Need to think outside the box and trade for someone who's considered a reclamation project.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:49 PM)
It's 25 million a year if he does not opt out. If he opt outs after year 1, his salary that first year will be 27.5 million. Heyman and Rosenthal tweeted it I believe.

So this is some kind of opt-out with a club self imposed penalty????

That would be the dumbest contract ever.

The Mets will have him 1 year.

No wonder he took it....

Play this out: You get $25M with the Mets in the 1st year...you suck, dog it, whatever.... You opt out and what do you get for that lack of effort? AN EXTRA $2.5M!

If that's the deal, I'm glad he's not here now, more than ever.

Move on, Rick.

Edited by CB2.0

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 05:52 AM)
Any move to spend the "$27.5 mil" that is thought to be available is a mistake at this point. Any offensive players that remains out there are 4th or 5th options, and won't get much ROI for the money. Need to think outside the box and trade for someone who's considered a reclamation project.

Ian Desmond is a great reclamation project who is extremely likely to earn his salary

i am going to keep this as neutral as possible, esp my rants in the past of not giving the sox the benefit of the doubt.

so that first yr alone of 27.5 tells it right there. that is too much in my book for him. however, the opt clause and the rest of the propose money being split for the other 2 yrs, that is if he does not opt out, i can reason with it. i may have felt within reason that the sox could have beaten it.

i still think getting him for even the possibility of making the playoff next yr would have been worth the cost. however that is 27+ mil....

if they do pursue improving the team... they can get 2 players for the price of cespy. i am wondering what their next move will be, if any.

I won't be all that surprised when Avi puts up better offensive numbers than Cespedes next year. I'd sign Jackson, move Eaton to left, and Melky to DH. Desmond, I really have no opinion on him and don't care if they sign him , or not. I'd just as soon let Saladino and Sanchez battle it out for SS.