Orioles DO NOT Sign Fowler

southsider2k5

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 03:16 PM)
How do we know the Sox weren't lying at Soxfest with regards to their plans, and they actually do have absolutely no money to spend to upgrades? I would love to be wrong, but I would have done the same thing if I was Hahn and dealt with the angry fan base coming into that weekend. If he simply said "we're done, no upgrades as we're at our budget", that would have created more animosity.

I doubt he was lying. Too much info tying them to these guys. What we don't know are the offers. The thing that was mentioned was the 3 year limits, and Hahn profusely denied that being correct.

Nobody has signed Fowler or Desmond or Jackson. So it's just not the White Sox. Apparently, either their demands are still too high or every team is out of money.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 10:19 PM)
Nobody has signed Fowler or Desmond or Jackson. So it's just not the White Sox. Apparently, either their demands are still too high or every team is out of money.

The other day, Boras said that 3 teams in the majors don't have a legit CF, and he's trying to sell Jackson to them. Brewers have to be one of them, and if I had to guess, the Cubs and Rangers are the other two.

But the Cubs essentially decided Fowler wasn't quite good enough to play center for them, supposedly. Plus they've been hyping Almora a lot recently, maybe for leverage.

Based on Eaton defensively last year, the White Sox can only be 75% happy with that position.

And the Rangers do make sense because DeShields surprised everyone out of nowhere but they're not sure he can repeat. There's also talk of moving Profar to CF if he can't handle the infield this spring. Justin Ruggiano is the backup and he's not an everyday CFer, either. But is Fowler?

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 04:36 PM)
The other day, Boras said that 3 teams in the majors don't have a legit CF, and he's trying to sell Jackson to them. Brewers have to be one of them, and if I had to guess, the Cubs and Rangers are the other two.

Boras speaks with forked tongue.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 05:54 AM)
Maybe finally things start moving this morning:

Buster OlneyVerified account

‏@Buster_ESPN

Executives believe it'll be very difficult for Dexter Fowler to get more than the 2-year, $20 million deal that Howie Kendrick got from LAD.

If I'm giving up the pick, I want three years of control. Plus with Frazier, Lawrie, & Melky all scheduled to hit free agency after the 2017 season, not sure another player with two years of control is a great idea. Assuming we don't resign any of them, it's going be tough to replace all these guys in one offseason given how the market looks and our lack of positional talent.

With the Latos signing happening without the local writers even mentioning it before it happened, we could very well see the same thing happen with an outfielder being signed. It surprised me that there was nothing even mentioned until after he signed, and he was in Chicago the day before for a physical.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 06:28 AM)
If I'm giving up the pick, I want three years of control. Plus with Frazier, Lawrie, & Melky all scheduled to hit free agency after the 2017 season, not sure another player with two years of control is a great idea. Assuming we don't resign any of them, it's going be tough to replace all these guys in one offseason given how the market looks and our lack of positional talent.

Except then he's in his mid 30s hitting that loaded 2018-19 class.

Probably not ideal to also lock in for Denard Span's contract when he was aiming for $45-48 million.

Plus, the Angels really need to add another bat.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 07:11 AM)
With the Latos signing happening without the local writers even mentioning it before it happened, we could very well see the same thing happen with an outfielder being signed. It surprised me that there was nothing even mentioned until after he signed, and he was in Chicago the day before for a physical.

Not high profile enough...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 07:12 AM)
Not high profile enough...

Maybe not, but my point was that you'd think that a writer might have mentioned that something was cooking. After the weeks and weeks of speculation with the big tree outfielders, it's been dead quiet. I could imagine a signing of an outfielder could pop up without any smoke leading up to it.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 07:21 AM)
Maybe not, but my point was that you'd think that a writer might have mentioned that something was cooking. After the weeks and weeks of speculation with the big tree outfielders, it's been dead quiet. I could imagine a signing of an outfielder could pop up without any smoke leading up to it.

Not with Fowler, since he played for the Cubs last year.

Ian Desmond would probably get a lot more play nationally and in roto league articles than in the Chicago market. Same with Gallardo, who obviously isn't a Sox option any longer.

Jackson would also fly under the radar.

But you're right, with NFL done and not to March Madness and Bulls plodding along, should be a bit more buzz.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 07:43 AM)
I will be glad when this thread finally ends. This is the longest saddest plodding-est thread for a player that we all merely kind of want but dont want to part with a draft pick.

I'll be glad when this off season is over.

If the Sox sign someone for two years then that is the end of their three year window, that they gave themselves. If they don't make the playoffs with the 2016 & 2017 teams then maybe that would be the time to reconsider the future and how to rebuild.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 08:02 AM)
If the Sox sign someone for two years then that is the end of their three year window, that they gave themselves. If they don't make the playoffs with the 2016 & 2017 teams then maybe that would be the time to reconsider the future and how to rebuild.

But what happens if they make the playoffs in 2017? They're pretty much f***ed then for 2018, which is Sale's second to last year of control.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 08:02 AM)

If some are shaky about Fowler now, they should be more shaky after 2 more seasons. So what if all these contracts expire in 2 years. Depending on the situation, they should either have a lot of money to play with or a great excuse to step back a season and rebuild, and have a lot to spend on the right now huge free agent class. If the Sox signed Fowler to a Howie Kendrick contract, they win.

Edited by Dick Allen

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 3h3 hours ago

Executives believe it'll be very difficult for Dexter Fowler to get more than the 2-year, $20 million deal that Howie Kendrick got from LAD.

That's cold Buster. I also don't believe it.

I'll say it again: to anyone still referencing the existence of a hard "three-year contention window" that we're currently in -- that quotation was taken entirely out of context. Williams' was referring to the idea of a rolling three-year outlook, specifically that ideas need to fit into that process.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 08:49 AM)
I'll say it again: to anyone still referencing the existence of a hard "three-year contention window" that we're currently in -- that quotation was taken entirely out of context. Williams' was referring to the idea of a rolling three-year outlook, specifically that ideas need to fit into that process.

Exactly. If you ever go to BA's top prospects, and they do a projected team line up in 5 years, the line ups are never close to reality. s*** happens. If you are trying to lock your team into some 5 year window, you are going to be scrambling. Even 3, they will be changing on the fly.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 08:49 AM)

But I wanted to misquote and rant irrationally :crying

I have obviously not been the biggest sign fowler fan, but 2 years 20 million is a steal for him.

1: I have no doubt he can perform to that value.

2: I have high hopes that he can outperform that value

and 3: if he outperforms that value, I have high hopes that we could, if needed, receive value for him that may be greater than the 1st round pick we give up.

De Aza signed for basically $6 million. To get Fowler for $10 would be a very good deal.

Side note, push comes to shove we could probably get De Aza for very cheap right now.

Fowler for 2/20 would be a big win. So what if we'd have four guys' contracts coming up after 2017. Three of those guys we would have acquired this offseason, who says the Sox couldn't do it again in two years? Two years is an eternity in sports anyway, we currently have one position player on the team who's been here longer than two years. So much can happen between now and then, I'll worry about the 2017 offseason when it comes.

Edited by OmarComing25