Carlos Quentin unretired, signs w/ Twins

Princess Dye

It was sad to see him his last year with the Padres. He could barely walk. What is odd, is for all the times he has been HBP, and all the times he has been injured, I don't think one of those extended times hurt was because of a HBP. You would have to think for as often as he has gone down, one of those times would have broken a bone in a hand or something.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 06:30 PM)
Quentin was one of those players that I followed closely even after he left the Sox. It's a shame how hampered by injuries his career was. When healthy the guy could flat out rake.

I agree. The guy hustled all the time and could swing that bat. I remember attending a game in Seattle between the Sox and Mariners and he hit a laser homerun to the left off King Felix.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)
Strong as an ox. Remember he started 08 off the bench and just took off. The thing I do remember was he has not really good with the glove

That shoulder injury really affected him mentally defensively going forward. He was a pretty good defensive RF with the DBacks. (minors and cup of coffee) Then he tore his labrum and pretty much stopped diving or running into walls and turned into Avi on the field. Luckily it never affected his hitting. He was always a very good hitter.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
That shoulder injury really affected him mentally defensively going forward. He was a pretty good defensive RF with the DBacks. (minors and cup of coffee) Then he tore his labrum and pretty much stopped diving or running into walls and turned into Avi on the field. Luckily it never affected his hitting. He was always a very good hitter.

IN 09 he also started dealing with the Plantar Fascia tear issue that also immediately hurt his defense.

Chris Carter may still be playing, but we ended up not missing him.

What a strange deal in that we traded a young prospect for a sort-of aging prospect (who was absolutely mashing in the minors). I hate to suggest it but it's almost like this offseason where you see a Jose Peraza dealt away for Trayce Thompson.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 11:51 AM)
Really? Seemed like a pretty good guy to me. Obviously intense, but didn't seem like a bad clubhouse guy at all.

I don't think he was ever considered a bad clubhouse guy, but I did always get the impression that he had trouble following orders or making changes suggested by the coaching staff. His hustle was always there, but it was his hustle, if that makes any sense.

Quentin was wound tighter than a drum. He never seemed to really enjoy playing the game because he was always so analytical and tough on himself. He was the modern-day equivalent of Harold Baines in terms of discussing himself or giving great quotes to the media, even in 2008 when he was on top of the world and headed for the MVP. As a person/clubhouse guy, it was always "that's just Carlos being Carlos/rolled eyes" but pretty much everyone really liked the guy. It was also that they probably recognized the same struggle all young players fight through to prove they belong in the majors and then eventually they come out the other side and learn to develop a coping mechanism for dealing with the stress, like Konerko at the mid-point of his career.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 07:53 PM)
Quentin was wound tighter than a drum. He never seemed to really enjoy playing the game because he was always so analytical and tough on himself. He was the modern-day equivalent of Harold Baines in terms of discussing himself or giving great quotes to the media, even in 2008 when he was on top of the world and headed for the MVP. As a person/clubhouse guy, it was always "that's just Carlos being Carlos/rolled eyes" but pretty much everyone really liked the guy. It was also that they probably recognized the same struggle all young players fight through to prove they belong in the majors and then eventually they come out the other side and learn to develop a coping mechanism for dealing with the stress, like Konerko at the mid-point of his career.

Could have just summed it up like with: "headcase". Too intense for baseball really. Probably could have channeled his energy on the football field more. He was too cerebral and intense for his own good.

Great player but IMO he was probably a guy that was using PEDs and he had the type of injury (plantar facsia) that can be caused by getting too bulky too fast. Too bad about his torn labrum that's a major injury. I'd cut Avi some slack as well last year because of it. Obviously this year he needs to step it up but a torn labrum is a major injury, pitcher or not.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 07:22 PM)
Could have just summed it up like with: "headcase". Too intense for baseball really. Probably could have channeled his energy on the football field more. He was too cerebral and intense for his own good.

Great player but IMO he was probably a guy that was using PEDs and he had the type of injury (plantar facsia) that can be caused by getting too bulky too fast. Too bad about his torn labrum that's a major injury. I'd cut Avi some slack as well last year because of it. Obviously this year he needs to step it up but a torn labrum is a major injury, pitcher or not.

That's one possible cause of a plantar problem, but I got it twice and don't weigh over 185 pounds and 6 feet.

Once, from hitting the 1b bag will all my weight on the back of the heel playing softball...the other time, from playing badminton and landing awkwardly again...but, in general, overuse because I was playing 1-2 hours 3-4 days per week at that time.

I haven't seen any pictures from his Stanford or DBacks' days where he looked remarkably smaller...say, compared to Thome when he first came into the Indians' organization as a part-time SS.

Edited by caulfield12

Quentin was clearly wound tight and while somewhat flukish, the early end to his 2008 season can be connected to that. Still, I don't see good evidence that his mental approach to the game was the reason he didn't reach his potential. He has basically always hit well when reasonably healthy, but his body has broken down.