Ian Desmond Signs 1 Year 8M Deal with Rangers

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 09:47 PM)
Well if they didn't like Desmond's defense, they probably aren't interested in Fowler either.

Yes but Fowler would be a defensive upgrade at any of the corner outfield positions and Desmond would have been a defensive downgrade. Plus Fowler has a much better OBP than Desmond. Desmond was a terrible fit on this team at so many levels. Strikeouts, low OBP, over 24 errors averaged over last 3 years. Not too mention our best minor league player is a shortstop. Don't want him no matter what his ridiculous War number is.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 09:42 PM)
Levine says that the Sox didn't think Desmond was a fit due to his K rate and defense

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/02/18/lev...hahn-white-sox/

God damn Levine is so dumb. Even though Alexei was the better defender in his prime, each of the last 2 years, Desmond have graded out better according to Fangraphs D-WAR.

Desmond went from plus defender to just above average. Wow, what a shortcoming for him...

Yeah, pretty surprising "modern day" Chicago baseball writers are still referencing total error totals after the infamous Valentin/Clayton debates of 15 years ago. Back then, much of the argument was about total chances and non-errors when runners were safe because of the way Clayton fielded or (usually) threw the ball with little on it.

Edited by caulfield12

I will repeat my periodic observation that Melky "professional hitter" Cabrera also had a negative war, and he is paid a substantial contract. He was also not in his first full season of play. They both need to get better. It may be that they keep 2 reserve outfielders; this may be necessary to platoon with Laroche at DH and to get better OF defense in late innings.

That will put a lot of pressure on the reserve infielder; and Sanchez play 3rd, or do we have to go the L Garcia route and completely give up any thought of offense from that position.

The biggest offensive question on a macro level is who hits second?

At some point they can use some of the second-tier prospects to get an outfielder if needed. And that leaves them with those three early pics to invigorate the farm with three pieces of top talent.

In the meantime, 2+ war out of melky and 1+ WAR out of Avi and this team contends.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (SoxSteve @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 01:22 AM)
Yes but Fowler would be a defensive upgrade at any of the corner outfield positions and Desmond would have been a defensive downgrade. Plus Fowler has a much better OBP than Desmond. Desmond was a terrible fit on this team at so many levels. Strikeouts, low OBP, over 24 errors averaged over last 3 years. Not too mention our best minor league player is a shortstop. Don't want him no matter what his ridiculous War number is.

Only in a discussion about the White Sox outfield defense would Dexter Fowler's name ever even remotely be mentioned as a "defensive upgrade". We should keep this in context, as in, we'd be replacing really bad defense with bad defense if he were to join the team.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)
Only in a discussion about the White Sox outfield defense would Dexter Fowler's name ever even remotely be mentioned as a "defensive upgrade". We should keep this in context, as in, we'd be replacing really bad defense with bad defense if he were to join the team.

I also don't even necessarily believe it. We all thought Melky would be a defensive upgrade. He had once been a center fielder! "Even an average fielder is a huge upgrade over viciedo".

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 08:42 AM)
I will repeat my periodic observation that Melky "professional hitter" Cabrera also had a negative war, and he is paid a substantial contract. He was also not in his first full season of play. They both need to get better. It may be that they keep 2 reserve outfielders; this may be necessary to platoon with Laroche at DH and to get better OF defense in late innings.

That will put a lot of pressure on the reserve infielder; and Sanchez play 3rd, or do we have to go the L Garcia route and completely give up any thought of offense from that position.

The biggest offensive question on a macro level is who hits second?

At some point they can use some of the second-tier prospects to get an outfielder if needed. And that leaves them with those three early pics to invigorate the farm with three pieces of top talent.

In the meantime, 2+ war out of melky and 1+ WAR out of Avi and this team contends.

As far as Sanchez playing 3rd....They can always just play him at 2nd and move Lawrie to 3rd when Todd needs a day off.

Yeah, Viciedo in 2012 was much better than Cabrera last year...2013-14, not so much, but you expect either a significant offensive OR defensive upgrade for $14 million or so per season.

And Avi was projected because of his "tool box" to be a possibility for CF.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 10:17 AM)

1. And yet, it IS a defensive upgrade.

2. Fowler is a bad defensive center-fielder. That almost certainly means he will be at least a significantly better defensive right-fielder.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)
1. And yet, it IS a defensive upgrade.

2. Fowler is a bad defensive center-fielder. That almost certainly means he will be at least a significantly better defensive right-fielder.

Southpaw would be a defensive upgrade in right field. Let's keep this in perspective!!

:lol:

QUOTE (scs787 @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)
As far as Sanchez playing 3rd....They can always just play him at 2nd and move Lawrie to 3rd when Todd needs a day off.

If Sanchez is not starting at 2B, and I doubt he does, he should be playing every day in Charlotte. He really isn't ideal as utility unless he can play SS as a backup.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
If Sanchez is not starting at 2B, and I doubt he does, he should be playing every day in Charlotte. He really isn't ideal as utility unless he can play SS as a backup.

He has been working out at SS. I think they will keep him although he doesn't bring great speed to the bench. But the defense may get better when Frazier or Lawrie get some time off.

QUOTE (ChicagoHeel @ Feb 27, 2016 -> 12:51 AM)
@mibeltrodriguez

Developing: The #WhiteSox are back on SS Ian Desmond #MLB #Sox

Wtf!?

For what? LF? I mean, I guess getting Rollins doesn't really block anyone since it was a minor league deal, but I can't imagine Jimmy would be happy whatsoever if this were to happy. He would have essentially been to lied to.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 27, 2016 -> 03:02 AM)
For what? LF? I mean, I guess getting Rollins doesn't really block anyone since it was a minor league deal, but I can't imagine Jimmy would be happy whatsoever if this were to happy. He would have essentially been to lied to.

If it were for LF/RF I'd hope they get him in ASAP so he can be with the team and start working. Rather have Desmond though for that. Could be agent too we've literally been linked to every single bat with a pick attached to them outside of Heyward. Or it seems that way

@mibeltrodriguez

Wtf!?

Never heard of this guy before.

The Twitterer I mean.

Edited by Brian

@mibeltrodriguez

Wtf!?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 27, 2016 -> 02:02 AM)

It is Milbelt. What I don't understand is some of the sympathy Desmond is getting from many writers. They guy turned down$107 million, then after having a bad year, turned down the QO., thus knowing he would have this pick attached, and how it has hurt previous free agents. Sorry Ian, you need a new agent.