Miguel Gonzalez getting called up, Danks skipped

southsider2k5

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 07:47 PM)
I blame this whole debacle on Erik Johnson being a f***ing bust. I suppose I've been spoiled with the last several years of Sale, Quintana and Rodon but had Johnson lived up to his potential we would never be hearing the names "Danks" or "Gonzalez" again.

Am I missin something (or a lot of things as is usually the case?)

Why is everyone so down on Erik Johnson? I think he we will bemail fib e. He has a great season last year c and pitched well in September. I have no issue trotting hIm out evert fifth day. I think he is better then Danks o r Gonzalez.

Bob

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 10:18 PM)
Gonzalez wasn't good but he did face Toronto. I'd rather roll with him than Danks personally.

This. He also made his debut this season. That's a tough first start for anyone let alone a season debut. Toronto can rake. Take this win and don't look back.

No interest in Gonzalez. I'll give him credit for throwing 113 pitches and saving the Sox bullpen, but I'm not interested in a guy who gives up 5 runs in the first 3 innings of play. The offense battled back today, but I've been watching these guys all year and a 5-1 deficit is not something the Sox want to be faced with.

The Sox still have some internal options to run though before they start looking seriously at the trade market.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 11:03 PM)
Gonzalez basically sucked, but he actually threw some good pitches and got some key outs - could have been worse. I'd give him another chance

It seemed like every one of their hits was a rocket off the bat. Not to mention barely escaped giving up 2-3 more HR. If they weren't all hard hit I'd feel better about giving him another shot but I wasn't too impressed even considering the opponent.

So, what is the group consensus on Gonzalez?

He wasn't good yesterday, but to be fair, it was his first start with the Sox against the best offense in baseball at their place.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd give him at least one more chance. If nothing else, he is a better strikeout pitcher than Danks has been for years.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 07:16 AM)
So, what is the group consensus on Gonzalez?

He wasn't good yesterday, but to be fair, it was his first start with the Sox against the best offense in baseball at their place.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd give him at least one more chance. If nothing else, he is a better strikeout pitcher than Danks has been for years.

I think since he has an option left, he gets sent down though I doubt we've seen the last of him. Or they wait one more Danks start before making a decision.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 04:08 AM)
You're gonna win 54 games. You're gonna lose 54 games. That was one of the other 54 lol

Oh, no. I hope you're wrong.

I was counting this as one of the 54 losses. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure we haven't won any of our guaranteed 54 wins, we've lost 6 of our guaranteed 54 losses, and we're 14-0 in the other 54. I'll double check with Hawk.

Is Danks' velocity really down 2-3 MPH? If so, I say you give him the Baltimore start and maybe one after that before making a final decision. If that velocity doesn't come back, he's not going to be an effective 5th starter in the majors.

As far as contingency plans, I think Gonzalez deserves a second look. The end result was ugly yesterday, but the velocity was there for him and the periphials were ok. If things don't work out for him, Johnson should be next in line followed by Turner. I haven't seen any reports on his velocity since spring training, but if it has come back, I fully believe EJ can be a solid #5 starter. Turner has pitched the best out of minor league guys but doesn't have an option left, so when he comes up he's got to stick for good. I'd like to see him show success for a few more weeks before I consider, so maybe late May or early June.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 12:38 AM)
Should the Sox go 6 deep?

what kind of question is this

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 08:32 AM)
Gonzalez got hit pretty hard a few times, but I actually thought his stuff looked better than advertised.

Eh. He had some lively stuff but he made so many mistakes. I think he earned more work but I don't expect much.

I look at how Gonzalez progressed through the game and he only allowed 2 infield singles in his last two innings. I'm all for giving him another start, but they really can't let both Gonzalez and Danks stay in the rotation for another round. It gets to the point where it takes away starts from the other four.