Sox sign Justin Morneau

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
I wonder what the timetable is on Mourneau being in the line up, and then the timetable on when he will be out for a significant stretch.

I totally expect them to sign Crawford who they will try to DH and fail during the time frame Morneau is preparing in the minors.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

doesn't he hate us

He's so perma-concussed at this point he doesn't know who he is. The best the Sox can hope for is some freak of medical science that basically loses all sentience from repeated blows to the head and becomes a mindless destroyed of all things round. Kind of like a superhero origin story.

I'm not holding my breath.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
Its just sad. The Sox have nobody in the minors they trust to bring up, nobody on the big league squad who can do anything...only place they have to go is the dumpster.

Take your Sox hatred blinders off. This is absolutely the right move to make. The guy won a batting title two years ago and was hitting over .300 last year before he was hurt. $1 million is chump change in MLB. If he sucks you cut him loose, no big loss.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)
I don't find it sad at all. I like it when my team tries to win. No one in the minor leagues would come up and be an effective LH bat to DH. If he doesn't work out, you cut him and you can still go and try Danny Hayes or whoever you want. I'll say it again - its f***ing chump change.

This isn't trying to win. Find me all of these contenders with their middle of the order threat being a mid season free agent signing of a 35 year old injured 1st baseman.

QUOTE (harkness @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)
Seriously seems to me like these guys think if they don't win this year their done.

That should be the case. They've had a few years to at least show improvement. It has worked. I liked their off season plan. Made sense. Hasn't worked.

QUOTE (harkness @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)
Seriously seems to me like these guys think if they don't win this year their done.

Well next year's free agency is crap and going to have holes at catcher, cf/RF and DH. Also only 3 years left of Sale so I'm guessing if they don't start contending sale is gone. Tho I can't see then giving out 30 million annually either so maybe gone anyway.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)
He's so perma-concussed at this point he doesn't know who he is. The best the Sox can hope for is some freak of medical science that basically loses all sentience from repeated blows to the head and becomes a mindless destroyed of all things round. Kind of like a superhero origin story.

I'm not holding my breath.

This cracked me up. But the Sox sign a free agent to a $1 million contract to be a middle of the order left handed bat. This is very wishful thinking. But he has to be better than the spring training people's champ left handed bat, Travis Ishikawa.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)
At least they're trying... I like it. Whatever gets Garcia and Rollins out of the DH role is fine by me.

Fat lady should not start singing just yet...

They have to try now based off of a flawed strategy that put them in this place. This is a self made crisis.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:14 PM)
This cracked me up. But the Sox sign a free agent to a $1 million contract to be a middle of the order left handed bat. This is very wishful thinking. But he has to be better than the spring training people's champ left handed bat, Travis Ishikawa.

I love Ishikawa with the People's Champ title

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 04:13 PM)
This may be a dumb question, but is it really a one year deal if we sign him in June? I assume it's only until the end of the season, right?

Just a guess but it's probably $1 million prorated over the rest of the season too, so it's probably only like 650K total.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)
Take your Sox hatred blinders off. This is absolutely the right move to make. The guy won a batting title two years ago and was hitting over .300 last year before he was hurt. $1 million is chump change in MLB. If he sucks you cut him loose, no big loss.

Yeah, even if he fails, so what. You are paying him what you are paying two minimum wage guys, plus he at least has a recent history of being really good.