White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 06:32 AM)
Figured this would be a good spot to post this. The Red Sox are calling up Yoan Moncada tomorrow.

And Benintendi is hitting .325 with an .850 OPS.

The need to get a young established MLB star is foolish to me.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 05:08 PM)
It's kind of amazing how many of their prospects are good to great right away compared to our organization.

They are very good at developing hitters. People might say the sox could've had this kid, but that doesn't mean he'd be this good with us right away.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 06:38 PM)
I don't know why our front office wants JBJ so bad. He'd be a player I would be more than willing to sell high on if I was Boston with the prospects coming up through their system.

He is close to if not the best defensive center fielder in baseball. Add to that he has 22 HR and 75 RBI and cheaper than Sale But I would take the story w a grain of salt. That is a Levine story. I had posted before the trade deadline that I thought Bradley was an untouchable based on the position he plays for Boston. That ship has "sailed " now since Boston probably will go for a 2nd tier pitcher w the emergence of Porcello to go w Price.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 08:31 PM)
He is close to if not the best defensive center fielder in baseball. Add to that he has 22 HR and 75 RBI and cheaper than Sale But I would take the story w a grain of salt. That is a Levine story. I had posted before the trade deadline that I thought Bradley was an untouchable based on the position he plays for Boston. That ship has "sailed " now since Boston probably will go for a 2nd tier pitcher w the emergence of Porcello to go w Price.

The defensive ratings of these players change so much year to year I don't really put much stock into where they are rated as long as they are above average defensively. He's a guy who looked lost at the plate his first few years then had a few good months this year and he hit .167 in August. He just seems like a guy who could easily go back to hitting sub .240. He's not a base stealer either.

Edited by soxforlife05

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 11, 2016 -> 09:11 PM)
How could it be happening in September?

I assume you're meaning during the offseason, as Sale and Q weren't placed on waivers.

I thought September trades were legal but players traded cannot be on playoff rosters. Didn't this happen last year with Tampa and another non-playoff team?

Obviously the Red Sox wouldn't do it, but can't it happen?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 11, 2016 -> 09:53 PM)
I thought September trades were legal but players traded cannot be on playoff rosters. Didn't this happen last year with Tampa and another non-playoff team?

Obviously the Red Sox wouldn't do it, but can't it happen?

It can but Sale wouldn't get past Minnesota so it's a moot point.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 11, 2016 -> 09:33 PM)
That seems pretty serious. Hold onto your butts.

Not sure how informed Levine is. Swihart was moved to left field in spring training. When he was called up it was a a left-fielder and that is where he played till he went on DL.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Sep 12, 2016 -> 11:25 AM)
Chris Sale on reaching 200+ strikeouts four consecutive seasons:

“But there’s not a single part of me that wouldn’t give all that to be in the playoffs four years in a row.’’

This is absolutely killing him.

Mark

Sale said at the beginning of the season that he had yet to play in one meaningful game in his career, obviously referring to zero appearances in the postseason thus far in his career with the White Sox. It's a similar line of thinking with those of us who equate true exciting baseball with playoff appearances, not just settling for a nice run at it in the regular season.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for athletes who are making millions of dollars while I slave at work, but if I was in Sale's shoes I know this franchise's futility would be eating me alive. I really hope he will be able to put some championship rings on his fingers whether if it is with the Sox or not.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Sep 12, 2016 -> 11:47 PM)
I have a hard time feeling sorry for athletes who are making millions of dollars while I slave at work, but if I was in Sale's shoes I know this franchise's futility would be eating me alive. I really hope he will be able to put some championship rings on his fingers whether if it is with the Sox or not.

Yeah they play a game for a living. Way too hard to feel bad for abyone athlete. Its kind of just a term thrown around when something negative happens to said person (blown save, no playoff appearances, offense doesn't score enough).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
So depending on the day, the White Sox either are not worthy of Chris Sale's services, or Sale is such an embarrassing hot head, he needs to be dealt away.

Well, it's actually not either your "either" or your "or" here. It's the fact he unfortunately needs to get traded in order to convert him into a different set of assets that will hopefully begin to reverse course for this rapidly sinking franchise. How many people did you count in the outfield stands last night? I counted 12. Something significantly different needs to be done this offseason, and trading Sale is at the top of that list.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 10:54 AM)
Well, it's actually not either your "either" or your "or" here. It's the fact he unfortunately needs to get traded in order to convert him into a different set of assets that will hopefully begin to reverse course for this rapidly sinking franchise. How many people did you count in the outfield stands last night? I counted 12. Something significantly different needs to be done this offseason, and trading Sale is at the top of that list.

Trading Chris Sale isn't going to put more people into the outfield stands. In fact it will do the opposite for the short term, at least.