2016 Rio Olympics Thread

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 09:11 AM)
And if you think about it, who are the people reporting about the various problems (water leaking, rooms not ready, not enough food, etc. etc)? Reporters. Who have to live in it. So of course that's the first wave of stories. Not that it isn't deserved by any means, but Sochi was the same and after the opening ceremony we didn't hear a word about how they weren't prepared. Rio will be the same unless there's a major terrorist attack or criminal attack.

I disagree, in Sochi it was "Will it be ready in time?", not "ummm, there is literally raw sewage flowing down a hill past the complex people are living in, into the water that athletes will be competing in".

And the Reporters are not the only ones complaining. Athletes have been posting tons of pictures of their accommodations, and they are simply terrible. The NBA players got their own yacht to stay in because they dont want to stay in the olympic village. The australians had to stay in hotels that they had to pay for themselves, and then when they moved in, the place caught fire and everyone realized the fire alarms WERENT EVEN CONNECTED.

I really think this is gonna be ugly, I hope I am wrong

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)
I disagree, in Sochi it was "Will it be ready in time?", not "ummm, there is literally raw sewage flowing down a hill past the complex people are living in, into the water that athletes will be competing in".

And the Reporters are not the only ones complaining. Athletes have been posting tons of pictures of their accommodations, and they are simply terrible. The NBA players got their own yacht to stay in because they dont want to stay in the olympic village. The australians had to stay in hotels that they had to pay for themselves, and then when they moved in, the place caught fire and everyone realized the fire alarms WERENT EVEN CONNECTED.

I really think this is gonna be ugly, I hope I am wrong

To be fair, isn't that standard for the NBA players? At least, I remember the Dream Team doing that in Spain.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)
The Olympics are also mostly good (for me) for sports that I won't care about/see for another 206 weeks. Golf is everywhere, don't need it again at the Olympics. At least with hockey and basketball you get these ridiculous All-Star teams that are actually putting in effort.

Handball FTW

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 07:53 PM)
This Djokovich - Del Portro match is fantastic! Del Potro is the best to watch when healthy. They are both going for it right now

This is like a final in a major. Djokovic got kind of screwed with such a tough first round matchup as the #1 seed.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 09:04 PM)
Brazil and Iraq are in a scoreless tie at halftime. In soccer. In Brazil.

Looks like Brazil's squad is mostly young guys + Neymar, Felipe Anderson, Rafinha, and Gabriel. I've never even heard of most of the other players on the squad.

Edit: just realized that you're only allowed 3 players over 23 in the Olympics. So that makes sense.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 08:22 AM)
Katie Ladecky is the truth.

That performance last night was just insane. Hopefully she can have a few more of those type of performances (same with Phelp's...I hope he can end his career in style with a ton of new golds to add to his fort knox stash of existing golds).

PS: Count me as one of those people who hates the fact that yahoo and other news sources don't spoiler what happened in the games. I'm on freaking tape delay so let me watch as if it were live darn it. I can stay off twitter, but harder when I turn to ESPN for a bit during a commercial and get whacked with a result. Pisses me off cause I freaking love my every 2 year olympic watching (and every 4 year summer olympic fix). The drama and quickness to this stuff, when this is what these people train for once every 4 years is great (can't watch this stuff other then when it is for the ultimate price with the ultimate stakes).

I don't know, I just wish it was consistent (maybe set by IoC)? I tried to find the score to the USA mens basketball game while it was happening on saturday and was unable to find it anywhere that I'd expect (ESPN, CBS sports, etc). It was crazy

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
That performance last night was just insane. Hopefully she can have a few more of those type of performances (same with Phelp's...I hope he can end his career in style with a ton of new golds to add to his fort knox stash of existing golds).

PS: Count me as one of those people who hates the fact that yahoo and other news sources don't spoiler what happened in the games. I'm on freaking tape delay so let me watch as if it were live darn it. I can stay off twitter, but harder when I turn to ESPN for a bit during a commercial and get whacked with a result. Pisses me off cause I freaking love my every 2 year olympic watching (and every 4 year summer olympic fix). The drama and quickness to this stuff, when this is what these people train for once every 4 years is great (can't watch this stuff other then when it is for the ultimate price with the ultimate stakes).

I blame NBC, not the news sources. It's 2016, enough with this tape delay stuff. Show it live somewhere.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 05:21 PM)
I blame NBC, not the news sources. It's 2016, enough with this tape delay stuff. Show it live somewhere.

Yeah this is totally NBC's fault for tape delaying. You can't expect sports results not to be everywhere as soon as they happen. That's the nature of sports.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 09:21 AM)

Screw that. I want to watch it in primetime and I don't blame them. They paid massive amounts of money for this and as such want to maximize ratings. I don't have an issue if some other channel or online you could stream live, but I don't think their primary platform (i.e., NBC over the air) should just air stuff live and say screw the tape delay.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 09:19 AM)
I don't know, I just wish it was consistent (maybe set by IoC)? I tried to find the score to the USA mens basketball game while it was happening on saturday and was unable to find it anywhere that I'd expect (ESPN, CBS sports, etc). It was crazy

Game was on live on TV (or at least I thought it was one live) on one of those special olympic feeds. I watched a bit of the spain game to see Niko and Pau (only watched 1st half).