2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Here's my concern though, at least from the first hit I saw....it was very soft and not the type of swing that impresses.  There's no doubt his hand-eye coordination is incredible.

There are too many reports of how he uses his whole body to drive to lead me to believe that’s the whole picture. He will have to advance his approach to look for more pitches he can drive, and not just hit it because you can. Hard to change that when it’s working.

43 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

One thing that worries me about Hostetler is he’s super big into intangibles.  If you listen to him in interviews, he mentions the great lengths his team goes to to better understand each player’s character, drive, etc.  He specifically mentioned in I believe the Garfien podcast that there wasn’t much separating his top seven and it could come down to intangibles.  And I’ve watched that Singer rain delay video a couple times now and I’m like “I bet Hostetler is all over this kid”.  Just seems like the type of kid Hostetler would value above the traditional tools.

Who have been the five best position players the White Sox have identified in the last 5-7 years (other than Abreu)?

They’re all middle infielders:

Semien

Eduardo Escobar

Tim Anderson

Fernando Tatis, Jr.

Yoan Moncada (I’ll admit that’s a bit of a stretch, as he was a 3B but was projected by many at 2B)

You can even add Carlos Sanchez, Leury Garcia and Tyler Saladino (starting over Arcia this year before he went down with the ankle injury) if you want...

That’s a much better track record than the pitching, where you have Rodon (that was as obvious as Moncada), Alec Hansen...and, what else?

Edited by caulfield12

While I agree with the general principle of taking the "best player available," there is a perspective which would lead one to seek the "best pitcher" available. I have asserted elsewhere that this team's window of opportunity will likely come when they have their pitching staff assembled. With solid pitching they could be ready next year. Avi and Abreu, in their free agent pending contract years, together with Anderson, Moncada, Jimenez, Castillo, Sanchez and Davidson, and you have enough run production to be competitive. It is waiting for Kopech, Cease, Hansen and Dunning that would keep the Sox from being serious contenders, as early as next year. Therefore, maybe the organization thinks that adding another, high floor, near ready starter would accelerate the time table. 

For me personally, I'd rather be patient, and think more in terms of 2020, when Robert might join the team and Jimenez could be more slowly developed, in order to delay his service time. I want him in a Sox uniform, at least until his early 30's. Moreover, rushing a guy like Singer is probably not a good idea. He will likely need to develop that third plus pitch, before he can get Major League hitters out, for 6 plus innings. He does not possess Chris Sale type stuff. I'd rather that they take the best position player and wait on the deep crop of pitching prospects, already in the organization.

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

Here's my concern though, at least from the first hit I saw....it was very soft and not the type of swing that impresses.  There's no doubt his hand-eye coordination is incredible.

Sox are obviously huge proponents of the trackman data, which is one of the reasons they took Burger. I wonder if Oregon State has it and if the Sox have data on Madrigal's exit velocities and launch angles. Based on your observations (granted limited sample), might not be great.

25 minutes ago, fathom said:

Singer has become severely underrated on this site.

Unanimous top-5 pick entering the season. Performed better than his sophomore year. No loss in stuff. No arm issues. He may not have Ace upside, but I also don't think there is a Kris Bryant in this draft, either.

If scouts think Singer tops out as a #3 starter, that's why I'd look elsewhere. They can sign a #3 starter in free agency with little problem. A bunch of them just sat for months over the winter unsigned. I'd prefer taking a stab at a potential impact player, even if the bust chance is higher than with Singer.

15 minutes ago, fathom said:

Before this season began he was the projected 1-1 pick. I actually wouldn't be shocked if Philadelpha took him 3rd (Bart and Mize are off the board.)

17 minutes ago, Sarava said:

If scouts think Singer tops out as a #3 starter, that's why I'd look elsewhere. They can sign a #3 starter in free agency with little problem. A bunch of them just sat for months over the winter unsigned. I'd prefer taking a stab at a potential impact player, even if the bust chance is higher than with Singer.

If you told me Singer is a number 3 starter in the majors, I'd say sign me up now. If this year has shown us anything, it's that projecting young starting pitching is very difficult.

22 minutes ago, fathom said:

If you told me Singer is a number 3 starter in the majors, I'd say sign me up now. If this year has shown us anything, it's that projecting young starting pitching is very difficult.

People thought Aaron Nola was a #3 at best at one time in his draft year. We were both around when Fulmer was a can't miss TOR or "elite" reliever at worst. You just never know.

Edited by SoxAce

If the average major league starter is averaging 94-95 right now...why would we want a pitcher with only two pitches who’s below that line or peaking at it right now?

When’s the last time a White Sox-developed minor league pitcher with a “plus” slider or curve or changeup (other than Rodon’s slider) actually came to the big leagues and sustained that initial “plus” scouting report from college as a major league pitcher?

Why not just go out and do the scouting to find a Mikolas (like the Cards did) in another organization that’s close/r to the big leagues?

There’s going to be Patrick Corbin, Nathan Eovaldi (hell of an arm, but most potential unrealized), Gio Gonzalez, Dallas Keuchel, Lance Lynn (could be a bargain), Charlie Morton, Pomeranz, Garrett Richards, JA Happ, Tyson Ross, Ryu, Ervin Santana....surely they can FIND one bargain from that list when all of the big money will be going to Machado/Harper at the top of the class.

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

People thought Aaron Nola was a #3 at best at one time in his draft year. We were both around when Fulmer was a can't miss TOR. 

I thought most scouts and draft people said Fulmer was most likely a reliever?

Edited by ptatc

57 minutes ago, fathom said:

46 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Seriously, it's getting ridiculous.

It’s not just this board as Fangraphs has him as the 13th ranked prospect with a FV of 45+.  I believe Law is down on him as well.  Perhaps you guys are right and he is the victim of prospect fatigue.  For me, I just like Madrigal & Bohm better and think college position players are generally the way to go this high in the draft unless there is a college arm with TOR potential.  I’d be all over Mize at #4 if available, but I simply don’t feel Singer has the same kind of upside.

The White Sox (and no other MLB team) would have drafted him at #8 if they believed that...

Other than Royce Ring, Poreda...Burdi in the supplemental round, I can’t remember ANY teams in Major League Baseball taking guys who projected to come out of the bullpen in the 1st round.   It’s just not done, except for a once in a generation reliever, who’s undoubtedly being drafted as a starter and will fail in that quest along with way.

7 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

People thought Aaron Nola was a #3 at best at one time in his draft year. We were both around when Fulmer was a can't miss TOR or "elite" reliever at worst. You just never know.

But that just underlies the riskiness of pitching prospects.  Meanwhile, Madrigal’s package of a 70 grade hit tool, plus speed, & plus 2B defense are likely to lead to a solid major league player with game power being the one wild card that could radically change to that projection to something special. 

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s not just this board as Fangraphs has him as the 13th ranked prospect with a FV of 45+.  I believe Law is down on him as well.  Perhaps you guys are right and he is the victim of prospect fatigue.  For me, I just like Madrigal & Bohm better and think college position players are generally the way to go this high in the draft unless there is a college arm with TOR potential.  I’d be all over Mize at #4 if available, but I simply don’t feel Singer has the same kind of upside.

Problem is that this year college position players are bad. I don't see anyone of them being really good. Most have projected hit tools of 50 (260) at best except for madrigal. There isn't a single hitter who projects to be a .300 with 30 bombs hitter. Sure one of the high ceiling guys could turn into this but that will mean they have really stretched their ceiling.

So if singer is a 3 starter that is really not worse than bohm becoming a 250 hitter with 25 bombs and bad defense.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The White Sox (and no other MLB team) would have drafted him at #8 if they believed that...

Other than Royce Ring, Poreda...Burdi in the supplemental round, I can’t remember ANY teams in Major League Baseball taking guys who projected to come out of the bullpen in the 1st round.   It’s just not done, except for a once in a generation reliever, who’s undoubtedly being drafted as a starter and will fail in that quest along with way.

I'll never understand the Burdi pick, given it seems they never tried to make him a starter. His mechanics were begging for TJS.

I still want Madrigal but while a #3 starter with the 4th pick would seem to be a disappointing outcome for the #4 pick, if you look at the #4 picks from the last 20 years that would end up being one of the best outcomes. The top three #4 picks over that time are Kerry Wood, Ryan Zimmerman and Gavin Floyd.

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

I'll never understand the Burdi pick, given it seems they never tried to make him a starter. His mechanics were begging for TJS.

If he becomes a top 5 reliever he’ll be worth his weight in gold.  I didn’t love the pick at the time, but actually kind of like it with hindsight (assuming he comes back healthy).

30 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think they took him for a potential bullpen role later in that year if they were still competitive late in the season.

26 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Even if he comes back healthy, I’m not sure Burdi is better than Hamilton (11th round) or Tyler Johnson (5th round), not to mention Ruiz, who they got for nothing.  Bullpen way easier to find than starters.

This is premature. I hope they turn out but Burdi has a 34 K% in AAA. If Ruiz and Hamilton keep their numbers at that level then you get excited. Burdi was really good.