Rangers have increased pursuit of Q?

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)
I think so too, but they still have Q. If the Rays trade Archer and the Sox trade Q, I still think the Sox would be better. Outside of Longoria, their offense is ridiculously bad, and even he is starting to slip.

I think their offense is better than the White Sox.

Rays have: Longoria, Kiermaier, Dickerson, Ramos, Rasmus, Souza, Franklin, Duffy with Adames knocking on the door. Their lineup is better. Their rotation is better too.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)

Rays have: Longoria, Kiermaier, Dickerson, Ramos, Rasmus, Souza, Franklin, Duffy with Adames knocking on the door. Their lineup is better. Their rotation is better too.

And they likely add Carter (a guy they can hit 7th/8th for some extra pop but not really need to rely on for anything else other than 40 bombs) or Napoli. They'll get a solid platoon somewhere at second or short between Nick Franklin, Matt Duffy, Brad Miller and Tim Beckham.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)

C - Soto >> Maile (Ramos is out at least until May and may not be able to catch)

1B - Abreu >> Miller

2B - Lawrie > Franklin

SS - Anderson = Duffy

3B - Frazier

LF - Cabrera >> Rasmus

CF - Tilson

RF - Liriano

DH - Garcia

I think their lineup is worse. Probably the second worst in MLB behind the Padres.

SP - Q = Archer

SP - Rodon > Odorizzi

SP - Shields

SP - Gonzalez > Cobb

SP - Holland >> Andriese

I think the rotation is pretty much a wash.

Edited by IowaSoxFan

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 12:52 PM)
Anyone else think Gonzalez is going to implode this year? I hope he doesn't but I can't help but have this feeling.

I said at one point that I would traded him for almost anything this winter. Last year was literally at good as he could get. The odds of a fall off are more than decent.

He had career bests in HR/9, FIP, and BB/9. I wouldn't bet on him doing it again.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 12:43 PM)
C - Soto >> Maile (Ramos is out at least until May and may not be able to catch)

1B - Abreu >>> Miller

2B - Lawrie > Franklin

SS - Anderson = Duffy

3B - Frazier

LF - Cabrera >> Rasmus

CF - Tilson

RF - Liriano

DH - Garcia > Dickerson

I think their lineup is worse. Probably the second worst in MLB behind the Padres.

SP - Q = Archer

SP - Rodon > Odorizzi

SP - Shields

SP - Gonzalez > Cobb

SP - Holland >> Andriese

I'd disagree with you on:

The Rays OF + DH is much better than what the Sox are throwing out there currently. Miller and Abreu are closer than what you are leading on (which is why he doesn't have much trade value beyond his name recognition) and Franklin and Lawrie are likely a wash.

After Q and Archer, the Rays rotation is better as a whole as well with an improving Snell and Cobb more than a year removed from TJS. Andriese is significantly better than Holland which is more of an indictment against Holland.

I would take the Rays team as currently constructed over the Sox, but the Rays play in a tougher division so it evens itself out. The Rays won 68 games last year and the Sox won 78. I wouldn't be surprised if they flipped this year to be honest, but I'll peg both for 73 wins.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 12:52 PM)
Anyone else think Gonzalez is going to implode this year? I hope he doesn't but I can't help but have this feeling.

Perhaps, but outside of 2015, his numbers last season were on par with his career numbers. He is certainly a candidate to decline at age 32, but I think he will be a league average mid-rotation (3-4) starter.

QUOTE (pablo @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 01:05 PM)
I'd disagree with you on:

The Rays OF + DH is much better than what the Sox are throwing out there currently. Miller and Abreu are closer than what you are leading on (which is why he doesn't have much trade value beyond his name recognition) and Franklin and Lawrie are likely a wash.

After Q and Archer, the Rays rotation is better as a whole as well with an improving Snell and Cobb more than a year removed from TJS. Andriese is significantly better than Holland which is more of an indictment against Holland.

I would take the Rays team as currently constructed over the Sox, but the Rays play in a tougher division so it evens itself out. The Rays won 68 games last year and the Sox won 78. I wouldn't be surprised if they flipped this year to be honest, but I'll peg both for 73 wins.

I don't agree on the OF. I think that the Rays OF is extremely overrated because of Kiermaiers defense. He is not a good player offensively and is really just a league average player (OPS+ - 104). I think Tilson could be league average but will give Kiermaier the benefit of the doubt since he has demonstrated ability. Cabrera is a much better offensive player than Rasmus, in RF Souza as a league average player will be better than whatever the Sox throw out there, but not enough to make up the gap between Rasmus and Cabrera.

Dickerson is better than Garcia, I was thinking of Chris Dickerson instead of Corey. Chris is garbage and I thought he had caught on with the Rays (I haven't paid much attention to them).

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 12:43 PM)

1B - Abreu >>> Miller

2B - Lawrie > Franklin

SS - Anderson = Duffy

3B - Frazier

LF - Cabrera >> Rasmus

CF - Tilson

RF - Liriano

DH - Garcia > Dickerson

SP - Q = Archer

SP - Rodon > Odorizzi

SP - Shields

SP - Gonzalez > Cobb

SP - Holland >> Andriese

This is very generous. Avisail Garcia would dream of a .469 SLG with 24 homers. In no universe is Avisail Garcia a better player than Corey Dickerson is. The Sox bad players are worse than the Rays' but that's fine.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 01:29 PM)
I don't agree on the OF. I think that the Rays OF is extremely overrated because of Kiermaiers defense. He is not a good player offensively and is really just a league average player (OPS+ - 104). I think Tilson could be league average but will give Kiermaier the benefit of the doubt since he has demonstrated ability. Cabrera is a much better offensive player than Rasmus, in RF Souza as a league average player will be better than whatever the Sox throw out there, but not enough to make up the gap between Rasmus and Cabrera.

Dickerson is better than Garcia, I was thinking of Chris Dickerson instead of Corey. Chris is garbage and I thought he had caught on with the Rays (I haven't paid much attention to them).

It's sad that we have to disagree on whose OF is worse lol.

Can we just trade Q already!? I don't want to watch his starts this year just to hope he doesn't get hurt.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 01:32 PM)
This is very generous. Avisail Garcia would dream of a .469 SLG with 24 homers. In no universe is Avisail Garcia a better player than Corey Dickerson is. The Sox bad players are worse than the Rays' but that's fine.

Yeah, I messed that one up as explained above. I will edit.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 02:32 PM)

Lol, yes, very generous indeed. The Garcia thing is the biggst head-scratcher, but:

1. Geovany Soto is not ">>" than any catcher in the MLB, lol. I like him but come on.

2. OP is either drastically underrating Kiermaier (who put up 3-5 WAR each of the last three seasons) or is very VERY high on Charlie Tilson.

EDIT: just saw the admission on Garcia. But still, Kiermaier.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)
Not enough Franklin Perez mentions in these trade proposals. Think he's my most wanted piece aside from Tucker.

Proposed it a while back and I think I might have convinced myself to lean more towards a Tucker, Perez + package over Martes, Tucker +. Would like either package, but Perez has some serious helium and there doesn't seem to be any question that he's a starter long term.

Edited by pablo

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 02:36 PM)
Lol, yes, very generous indeed. The Garcia thing is the biggst head-scratcher, but:

1. Geovany Soto is not ">>" than any catcher in the MLB, lol. I like him but come on.

2. OP is either drastically underrating Kiermaier (who put up 3-5 WAR each of the last three seasons) or is very VERY high on Charlie Tilson.

EDIT: just saw the admission on Garcia. But still, Kiermaier.

I think it's because he was only comparing the bats without defense included. If we included defense the Rays' position players easily outclass ours.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 04:47 PM)
Tired of the Astros and Pirates. Would like to see another team come in out of nowhere and make an offer Hahn can't refuse. Sick of Luhnow and Huntington.

Pirates need to cave on Meadows then try to low ball the Sox on the other pieces. Once they can agree on the headliner I think the chances of a trade greatly improve. Based on all our thinking that the Sox want Meadows as the headliner .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 08:21 PM)
Pirates need to cave on Meadows then try to low ball the Sox on the other pieces. Once they can agree on the headliner I think the chances of a trade greatly improve. Based on all our thinking that the Sox want Meadows as the headliner .

I've given up on Pitt since they are so bent on keeping Meadows. Just don't think they have enough to offer without Meadows.