Hawk to retire at the end of 2018 season

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 03:12 PM)
Jason's job isn't to "take the s***ty sportswriters to task" or to "call out the bulls*** umps try to pull." His job is to call the baseball game, pure and simple.

And truth be told I can tell you the White Sox don't want him doing that either. Even JR, Hawk's closest friend and confidant, has laid down the law to him at times over his comments and conduct. The Sox with their new primary TV announcer do not want controversy. If something needs to be brought out to the audience they want him doing it in a reasonable and professional manner not one in which the announcer loses his temper or comes across as sullen and taciturn.

I suspect they 'put up' (for want of a better word) with Hawk when he did things like this, especially the last few years, because of his reputation and the fact that he earned some leeway...but that doesn't apply in Jason's case...at least for the next 20 years anyway. :)

Hawk's job is to sell the White Sox, and taking the umpires to task and sportswriters is a part of it. JR PUBLICLY sent a message to Hawk to cool it with the umpires, but considering he hasn't been fired or suspended and that cooling really never occurred, I think it would be safe to assume, privately he isn't so concerned. And sportswriters? JR hates them way more than Hawk. Hawk called out Marriotti. What did Reinsdorf have to say about the same man?

Benetti isn't perfect, but I'm still a fan. The cornball could use some toning down, but the rapport with Stone is solid and I do think he gets plenty excited about the games.

The news of the Hawk arrangement next year is fantastic; I honestly find myself tuning into road games less often due to Hawk now that I know the alternative. And I tend to go to a decent number of Sunday home games so my Hawk exposure will be minimal.

As a kid, I loved the guy, I really did. But it's time for us all to move on, and has been for about a decade.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 07:49 AM)
Hawk's job is to sell the White Sox, and taking the umpires to task and sportswriters is a part of it. JR PUBLICLY sent a message to Hawk to cool it with the umpires, but considering he hasn't been fired or suspended and that cooling really never occurred, I think it would be safe to assume, privately he isn't so concerned. And sportswriters? JR hates them way more than Hawk. Hawk called out Marriotti. What did Reinsdorf have to say about the same man?

I loved Hawks rant about Berns and Boernstein. I have no problem with announcers that do that. It makes the broadcast what it's supposed to be...entertainment. They don't need to be so serious and professional as if they are discussing the debacle in Springfield. Baseball is fun, entertainment.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 05:27 PM)
I feel like I'm the one person that still likes Hawks (even though gets on my nerves) in addition to liking Jason (despite the corny stuff).

Give Jason time. Sheesh.

I agree with you. I enjoy listening to them both for what they provide. Neither are perfect, but I can enjoy both. It really doesn't bother me that Hawk is retiring. Good for him. He's ready to hang it up and let the young gun take over full time.

It is easy to tell Hawk's game calling ability has regressed with age. He is just getting too old. Hawk has been figured out by Father Time.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 05:27 PM)
I feel like I'm the one person that still likes Hawks (even though gets on my nerves) in addition to liking Jason (despite the corny stuff).

Give Jason time. Sheesh.

I liked hawk for a long time but the last 2 years have been especially painful. Clearly struggling to see, some really bitter games.

But I have liked both. I think you probably had a similar experience in Mo where the only time you could really talk about sox was people wanting to talk about Hawk's catch phrases.

Any strong, outspoken personality like Hawk is going to be polarizing to some extent. That's inevitable, it goes with the territory.

I'm really easygoing with announcers (hell, I still don't mind Dick Stockton), but I like color in my play-by-play men and some uniqueness, so I've always liked Hawk. He is distinctly different from almost all other baseball announcers. No one has a lot of the quotes and idiosyncrasies that he's come up with over the decades, stuff from bygone eras before I was born. He's totally old school, which I find very interesting.

I don't mind Jason Benetti and Stoney, but it's doubtful that either will have any quotes to be remembered like Hawk. The years they're in the booth together will be hard to remember after they're done.

I'll miss Hawk, he is indeed a legend whether you like him or not. I think more people will miss him once he's gone forever and we have many years of boring announcing with guys unwilling to say even the slightest provocative thing in the booth.

Edited by Doc Edwards Shot

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
I don't mind Jason Benetti and Stoney, but it's doubtful that either will have any quotes to be remembered like Hawk. The years they're in the booth together will be hard to remember after they're done.

In fairness, most of this depends on what happens on the field.

A well done call gets remembered regardless of who made it in particularly momentous events. I think Benetti will grow into the role just fine.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 11:30 AM)
In fairness, most of this depends on what happens on the field.

A well done call gets remembered regardless of who made it in particularly momentous events. I think Benetti will grow into the role just fine.

This. We'll see how Benetti is when there is actually a really good competitive team out there making deep memorable runs (no I'm not talking about a 23-10 start).

QUOTE (JoeCredeYes @ May 31, 2017 -> 07:02 PM)
I'll miss Hawk. We all know it's time, but I chose to remember the good days. Fond memories of yesteryear, asking my Dad what the heck a cat-bird seat was, what the heck a can-of-corn had to do with a baseball game. I'll miss his candor. The number of guys that can actually get away with saying what they feel in our social justice warrior era can be counted on a couple hands at best. I'll miss his enthusiasm. Hawk has been the voice of my baseball team for as far back as my memory goes, and I think growing up listening to a guy live and die on every pitch in a game where essentially nothing ever happens, made me feel like it was important, like that's how I should feel about baseball, and it worked. He put everything he had in to this gig for a long time, and as corny as it sounds you can't argue with the passion he brought to the mic day in and day out. I'm glad I got to grow up listening to his stories of legends I couldn't pull up youtube videos of at my fingertips. I feel bad for the kids today that will never get to experience that. Sure, the Grandpa campfire story magical feeling waned as I grew older, but I'd still take a tall tale from the Hawk I've heard 100 times over Benetti telling me what his Mom put in his lunchbox.

Love em, hate em, somewhere in between, hats off to a legend, the end of an era, this Sox fan will always cherish the memories.

Thanks Hawk

:hawk:

You might not post very much in all your years as a member of this community but damn this post rocks !

• Thanks 1

QUOTE (JoeCredeYes @ May 31, 2017 -> 09:02 PM)
I'll miss Hawk. We all know it's time, but I chose to remember the good days. Fond memories of yesteryear, asking my Dad what the heck a cat-bird seat was, what the heck a can-of-corn had to do with a baseball game. I'll miss his candor. The number of guys that can actually get away with saying what they feel in our social justice warrior era can be counted on a couple hands at best. I'll miss his enthusiasm. Hawk has been the voice of my baseball team for as far back as my memory goes, and I think growing up listening to a guy live and die on every pitch in a game where essentially nothing ever happens, made me feel like it was important, like that's how I should feel about baseball, and it worked. He put everything he had in to this gig for a long time, and as corny as it sounds you can't argue with the passion he brought to the mic day in and day out. I'm glad I got to grow up listening to his stories of legends I couldn't pull up youtube videos of at my fingertips. I feel bad for the kids today that will never get to experience that. Sure, the Grandpa campfire story magical feeling waned as I grew older, but I'd still take a tall tale from the Hawk I've heard 100 times over Benetti telling me what his Mom put in his lunchbox.

Love em, hate em, somewhere in between, hats off to a legend, the end of an era, this Sox fan will always cherish the memories.

Thanks Hawk

:hawk:

:cheers

I watched the Hawk dugout interview with the media from last week or whenever. He just always mentions the grandkids. He just wants to be around them and help them with their baseball which is great. I can't help but think the horribleness of the Sox product now and for the next 5 years really has soured him on baseball. Can you picture seeing as many games as he has in his life? I am thinking he just has no interest in watching bad baseball. I bet he'd come up with a way to make it work with his grandkids (maybe take a full month off when they play the most games) if the Sox actually had a team worth watching. I mean he has to be sickened by the product.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 6, 2017 -> 07:12 PM)
I watched the Hawk dugout interview with the media from last week or whenever. He just always mentions the grandkids. He just wants to be around them and help them with their baseball which is great. I can't help but think the horribleness of the Sox product now and for the next 5 years really has soured him on baseball. Can you picture seeing as many games as he has in his life? I am thinking he just has no interest in watching bad baseball. I bet he'd come up with a way to make it work with his grandkids (maybe take a full month off when they play the most games) if the Sox actually had a team worth watching. I mean he has to be sickened by the product.

He may be 'sickened' by the product (aren't we all?) but he's getting very well paid for the trouble of doing so at least.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 7, 2017 -> 04:04 AM)
He may be 'sickened' by the product (aren't we all?) but he's getting very well paid for the trouble of doing so at least.

Very true. I forgot about the $$$ temporarily and he probably makes $600,000 or more a year I'd think.