Q traded to Cubs/Jimenez, Cease ++ to Sox

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 11:51 AM)
I can't get over one thing, and it's kind of bitter sweet fortune but it is fortune:

There are a bunch of teams on the precipice of tear down rebuilds in Blue Jays/Giants/Tigers/Pirates and Royals. Not this year but next 2 years. We obviously had some special, signed pieces BUT

We were offloading with the best pieces at a time when we were the ONLY team doing it, and during a time where the top contenders also had the top farms (due to their rebuild). Those contenders have basically exhausted their top guys, all to the white sox.

The tigers/etc are going to have to offload with the next group of rising teams which happen to be much more mid-market. They may be more like Pirates, who will be stuck in needing to consistently fill their MLB team with cheap talent, and can't rely on big budgets for their holes.

We struck at a really, really good time.

Let's hope it panned out!

It's not done yet, but I am INCREDIBLY impressed with what Rick Hahn and Co. have been able to accomplish in the past 12 months. Outside of trading Tatis Jr. they have totally revamped our farm system and future outlook.

We are arguably the envy of the entire mlb young talent wise, and look to be a major force in a few years. We look like the Cubs and Astros did a few years ago.

Finish more trades, tank this season big time. The future is bright.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 11:35 AM)
Get Beer and suddenly future OF looks loaded.I'd also say this should put Avi on the market.

Sorry, had to have a giggle at that. Hopefully we'll be able to add a Jameson to that future OF. Fun for all the alcoholic's!

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 11:55 AM)
The Houston #Astros were involved in talks for Quintana, but never came close to offering the package the #Cubs offered to the #Whitesox

--Nightengale

SO glad to be done pining for the Astros to like what we had. Hope they fail now (even though i like so much of what theyve done)

Screw the Astros. I'm thrilled with this return.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 10:24 AM)
So close... I guess that I got greedy.

You almost nailed it..!

Me, I am not happy about helping the cubs in a MAJOR way so I have to ponder this one for a while.

Q will really help their staff in the second half of the season and his contract makes it easier to lose Arrieta instead of signing him to a big contract.

I am thinking that Jon Lester's 10 run first inning debacle last week may have played into this.

One other thought. Eloy is 19 and Moncada and Luis Robert are about the same age. I wonder what that means for Avi Garcia and other players that are in their mid-twenties...including Rodon. Maybe they are no longer in the window where there is a crescendo of talent from our prospects.

Sorry for the long post...a lot to ponder here.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 09:51 AM)
I can't get over one thing, and it's kind of bitter sweet fortune but it is fortune:

There are a bunch of teams on the precipice of tear down rebuilds in Blue Jays/Giants/Tigers/Pirates and Royals. Not this year but next 2 years. We obviously had some special, signed pieces BUT

We were offloading with the best pieces at a time when we were the ONLY team doing it, and during a time where the top contenders also had the top farms (due to their rebuild). Those contenders have basically exhausted their top guys, all to the white sox.

The tigers/etc are going to have to offload with the next group of rising teams which happen to be much more mid-market. They may be more like Pirates, who will be stuck in needing to consistently fill their MLB team with cheap talent, and can't rely on big budgets for their holes.

We struck at a really, really good time.

Let's hope it panned out!

Great post!

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)
Will be interesting to see how quickly Robertson gets moved now.

I don't even care right now, I am so content with this rebuild process.

I know that sounds stupid, I just feel like a suburban pumpkin spiced teenage white girl who can't even right now

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 11:59 AM)
Great post!

Sox were the only team out there actively selling off premium pieces when many teams should have been more proactive. Hahn waited, and ended up getting a major return.

Sale/Eaton/Quintana netted the Sox:

Moncada

Kopech

Basabe

Diaz

Giolito

Lopez

Dunning

Jimenez

Cease

Rose

Flete

Combine that with signing Luis Robert, and drafting Burger/Sheets

WOW

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
Sorry, had to have a giggle at that. Hopefully we'll be able to add a Jameson to that future OF. Fun for all the alcoholic's!

I think the general consensus of the "Tank for Beer" movement is that "Seth Beer" is a placeholder for "best available for the white sox"

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)
These trades aren't even over yet! Sure we're not getting another Moncada or Jimenez, but we'll get real value for Robertson, Swarzak, and others.

Perhaps not quite top 25 talent, but if the Sox decide to move Abreu, they'll get a really nice return. The Yankees should most definitely be interested.

At this point, I say f*** it - trade him. Tank hard the rest of 17 and 18, and be ready to put a respectable product on the field in 2019.

Not really sure what Abreu accomplishes on this team at this point.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 12:01 PM)
Sox were the only team out there actively selling off premium pieces when many teams should have been more proactive. Hahn waited, and ended up getting a major return.

Sale/Eaton/Quintana netted the Sox:

Moncada

Kopech

Basabe

Diaz

Giolito

Lopez

Dunning

Jimenez

Cease

Rose

Flete

Combine that with signing Luis Robert, and drafting Burger/Sheets

WOW

Add to that list, not that it's direct from any player, a likely top 5 draft pick next year.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 12:06 PM)
Add to that list, not that it's direct from any player, a likely top 5 draft pick next year.

Have Bozo the Clown take Q's rotation spot for all I care. I want to finish this tank job off the right way and end up with a top 3 pick.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
The Houston #Astros were involved in talks for Quintana, but never came close to offering the package the #Cubs offered to the #Whitesox

--Nightengale

SO glad to be done pining for the Astros to like what we had. Hope they fail now (even though i like so much of what theyve done)

My thoughts exactly . I was saying F the Stros since it became apparent they undervalued Q.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 12:02 PM)
Perhaps not quite top 25 talent, but if the Sox decide to move Abreu, they'll get a really nice return. The Yankees should most definitely be interested.

At this point, I say f*** it - trade him. Tank hard the rest of 17 and 18, and be ready to put a respectable product on the field in 2019.

Not really sure what Abreu accomplishes on this team at this point.

I'm not sure I buy this, but I'll accept the "We like his leadership in mentoring the young guys"

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 12:01 PM)
There's a pattern to this: Hahn takes his time, posters get impatient and say "Hahn is blowing this", Hahn Gets the trade done on his terms, posters say "Hahn is great".

Let's just accept that our GM knows what he's doing.

No s*** man. It's been clear to me that since the Sox FO went the direction of a rebuild that Hahn is the person in charge of it, and has done very well so far. Though I have to admit that having Sale, Q and Eaton as trade assets to begin the rebuild makes the GM's job a bit easier.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 12:09 PM)
My thoughts exactly . I was saying F the Stros since it became apparent they undervalued Q.

In general, there are about half a dozen other teams out there who this will be a dividing moment for. They will be able to look back and think if we had only given up a little bit more, we could have had Quintana.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
His response for trading with the Cubs is on the money. They're not going to take less to not trade with the Cubs

I love his answer on 670 the score when he said he wish he didn't have to do these interviews because he wants to get back on the phone and get some more deals done.