Welington Castillo to White Sox

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 01:04 AM)
Why do you think he's a "total fraud?"

Just looking through his twitter history and the way he’s trolling the national writers on getting this one right. And the fact he has almost no followers yet he’s been dropping rumors across multiple sports for a long period of time. If he had sources, people would have caught on by now and started following him. I’ve seen other “insiders” exhibit the same behavior before and they were quickly proven to be frauds. I’m just speculating though.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 12:22 AM)
Hmmm, he's 30 and had a good year last year. We have him for 3 years. Should this give me hope we will keep Abreu? If Castillo is part of the plan, why not a similarly aged guy in Abreu, who had double his RBIs?

I won't comment much on things I know little about and I don't know Castillo much. I'm assuming he's a nice addition cause his defense is pretty good from what I've read.

But he's very old by today's standards. This gives me hope again that we might have some vets around for the WS contending years, which means Abreu and the still young Avi. I'm all for speeding up the winning process and Castillo's profile suggests winning now or soon. He's no spring chicken.

Or ... this could mean we will merely trade him this winter for more pieces.

He was signed because Collins needs a few more years at least. Can't leave what will be an obvious hole on the roster when everyone else is up here. I don't think they are trying to dump Abreu they are just dangling both Avi and Abreu to see if there is any good value to be had. It's the smart thing to do. They are probably thinking Delmonico could have a breakout year as a middle of the order bat and could fill the hole left by trading Abreu at what will likely be his peak value. Could see him being a 30-40 HR guy in the near future.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 11:20 PM)
Just looking through his twitter history and the way he’s trolling the national writers on getting this one right. And the fact he has almost no followers yet he’s been dropping rumors across multiple sports for a long period of time. If he had sources, people would have caught on by now and started following him. I’ve seen other “insiders” exhibit the same behavior before and they were quickly proven to be frauds. I’m just speculating though.

Ah - well that certainly seems like a douche to me as well then. 😆

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 10:24 PM)
If we acquired extra international money I don't think we could spend it on him? $200k is "max per player" for us right?

I'd take some A-ball reliever for Smith. He's a nonterrible backup catcher. Unless we're carrying him as a DH he'll have to be moved, and there's always a dearth of positive cheap backup catchers.

300K Maybe I should've used a wink emoticon instead o.f the tongue to indicate it was in jest.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 06:02 AM)
Castillo plays an important position, is actually a good player, and he's not on his last legs.

Refreshing signing.

We WILL have some veteran players on our next contending team after all!!! Wowzers!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 12:53 PM)
Terrific move.

I don't expect there to be many, if any, multi year signings this offseason for the Sox. This one makes sense and helps bring some solid stability to the catching position until ideally Collins/Zavala is ready.

Castillo/Narvaez should be a solid tandem for the time being

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 08:59 AM)
I don't expect there to be many, if any, multi year signings this offseason for the Sox. This one makes sense and helps bring some solid stability to the catching position until ideally Collins/Zavala is ready.

Castillo/Narvaez should be a solid tandem for the time being

I pretty convinced now they’ll sign at least one reliever to a multi-year deal. That may only be for two years, but it really sounds like Hahn’s focus at the Winter Meetings (outside of potentially selling guys like Avi, etc) will be to add major league ready pitching and I definitely see him adding one moderately priced veteran to esnure some stability.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 10:43 AM)

I agree and see the Castillo deal as being a solid under the radar addition for the Sox. The money and years are small in the grand scheme of things, and presents an immediate upgrade over Kevan Smith.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 10:45 AM)
I pretty convinced now they’ll sign at least one reliever to a multi-year deal. That may only be for two years, but it really sounds like Hahn’s focus at the Winter Meetings (outside of potentially selling guys like Avi, etc) will be to add major league ready pitching and I definitely see him adding one moderately priced veteran to esnure some stability.

Why offer a reliever a 2 year deal at this point though? The Castillo signing makes sense because we need to bridge the gap until Collins/Zavala are ready to contribute.

I see several one year deal and/or minor league contracts to players similar to Swarzak who could bounce back.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
Why offer a reliever a 2 year deal at this point though? The Castillo signing makes sense because we need to bridge the gap until Collins/Zavala are ready to contribute.

I see several one year deal and/or minor league contracts to players similar to Swarzak who could bounce back.

Why not? You can look to move said reliever at the deadline and instead of being a rental, they would have an extra year of control.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 09:45 AM)

I agree. I think there are going to be plenty of innings that'll need to be gobbled up, especially the first half. I think you can only plan on Kopech & Hansen for the second half, maybe Rodon then too. They might have to sign 600 or so innings worth of dudes to be safe.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)
I agree. I think there are going to be plenty of innings that'll need to be gobbled up, especially the first half. I think you can only plan on Kopech & Hansen for the second half, maybe Rodon then too. They might have to sign 600 or so innings worth of dudes to be safe.

I think they very clearly need one more starter. I could even be talked into finding someone who could be a swing guy to give extra rest or to deal with anyone who gets sent down. Without caring about the order of players, here's the rotation right now:

Fulmer

Lopez

Giolito

Shields

Rodon - DL

If they found someone on the waiver wire or in the rule 5, that can even work - if Kopech is ready to come up in the 2nd half, you can send Shields to the bullpen or limit the workloads on the other youngsters in the 2nd half.

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 08:44 PM)
Sign-and-flip?

Castillo should fetch a quality prospect or two at the deadline. :)

I could still see the White Sox rushing Collins that much, but if this buys him another year and he's not pushed up until 2019 I would be quite happy with the end result.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 02:47 PM)
I think they very clearly need one more starter. I could even be talked into finding someone who could be a swing guy to give extra rest or to deal with anyone who gets sent down. Without caring about the order of players, here's the rotation right now:

Fulmer

Lopez

Giolito

Shields

Rodon - DL

If they found someone on the waiver wire or in the rule 5, that can even work - if Kopech is ready to come up in the 2nd half, you can send Shields to the bullpen or limit the workloads on the other youngsters in the 2nd half.

Yea at least 1 starter for sure. I wonder if the swing guy you mentioned is even enough to account for disasters like a Fulmer demotion, an injury to Lopez/Giolito/Shields, and a setback with Rodon's recovery. I'm in the camp that thinks Hansen and Kopech will force the issue mid year so that helps. But man it gets thin quick if any of the above happens prior to that. And then who takes the swing role. Covey? Almost want 2 swing guys to cover the young guys taking their lumps.