Moustakas linked to Sox again

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 06:45 PM)
If Moustakas would agree to a 5 year/$55 million dollar deal, with an opt out after the 2019 season...do you do it?

(I wouldn't, but it makes for an interesting discussion)

I mean at that point, I'd consider it simply because the money isn't high enough to stop you from just dumping/replacing him when something better pops up. But if he's going to settle for $11mm per year, there's no WAY it's going to be for five years. If the money is going to get so low that he just gets a really obvious opt out when we need him, why sign him in the first place? Wouldn't you rather have the 2nd round pick then?

I don't hate the idea of jumping the gun to sign a guy because the market through you a gift you didn't think you'd get, I just disagree on the valuation of Moustakas. He's a guy used to respectably fill a gap on a contender with a hole that threatens to torpedo the rest of the team. He's a fantastic fit for the Yankees, a team that has developed its prospects into stars, made a couple big trades, and is left with a really good team but a ton of downside at 3B. He'sa fantastic guy to fill in and give them solid production without needing to be spectacular.

We can get 2-win players every year when we actually need them and know which position our need is. We don't need to take risks now hoping that a guy bucks aging trends so he can be the 6th best hitter on our next contender.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 07:01 PM)
So aside from going back to the Royals...where else could he realistically land? This Yankees trade made things interesting.

I think the Royals get him. The Yankees will only want to give him a short deal, and they don't have enough CBT space to make that short deal enticing. The Royals can give him three or four years, call it goodwill to fans, and lose nothing toward their next contender.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 12:03 AM)
I think the Royals get him. The Yankees will only want to give him a short deal, and they don't have enough CBT space to make that short deal enticing. The Royals can give him three or four years, call it goodwill to fans, and lose nothing toward their next contender.

What a waste that would be for KC. Would be paying a decent amount of money when they are rebuilding and would lose the compensation pick.

Remember...there will be a subsequent secondary market that opens up for all the teams who either sign or resign a mega star. Their current and backup plans will become available as will any other counterproductive contracts that will need cleared to enable mega signings. Even if we miss out, we could be in line to pick up a couple of nice pieces from the fallout of the major signings. If we know for sure we’re not going to dish out a mega contract, we can serve the role of the enabler to help make it possible for another team to spend. There will be potential for major activity—even if the majority of these stars stay with their current teams. Also good times to sell high to teams who missed out and didn’t have a suitable backup plan.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 01:04 PM)
.314 OBP to .521 SLG. League-wide walk rates have been quietly trending upward along with the explosion in homers, making his OBP well below average and the SLG not really all that far above average. He's exactly the player type that makes OPS deceiving.

Thank you. Very helpful.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 05:53 PM)
Last year's line adds up to a 114 wRC+, which was good for 107th best in the MLB (min. 50 PA). IMO, we need to aim higher than "outside the top 100" for our competitive-window cleanup hitter. And that's assuming he wouldn't decline any, which is possible, but can't be considered likely.

Again, I think it's easy to like the homer total, but we ignore the lack of everything else that he brings to the offensive table. He's just not as good as his reputation suggests.

Your point is good, Moustakas just isn't that guy.

Where did Machado rank?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 12:47 AM)
No one has commented on the fact that Moustakas had 24 HR's, in just 74 road games. KC is known as a park that is not conducive to the long ball. What would you expect him to hit, at Guaranteed Rate Field?

Does he still get to face WSox pitching?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 06:34 PM)
Not sure if this was mentioned but Rondon and Moustakas could make for an interesting club house. :lolhitting

Depending on the deal, I would not object to signing Moustakas. No opt-out though.

Which Rondon, Jose or Bruce? My guess is Bruce since he was in the same division...do they have an issue or something?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 08:01 PM)
Which Rondon, Jose or Bruce? My guess is Bruce since he was in the same division...do they have an issue or something?

Bruce drilled him in a blowout game last year that cleared the benches.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 05:53 PM)
Last year's line adds up to a 114 wRC+, which was good for 107th best in the MLB (min. 50 PA). IMO, we need to aim higher than "outside the top 100" for our competitive-window cleanup hitter. And that's assuming he wouldn't decline any, which is possible, but can't be considered likely.

Again, I think it's easy to like the homer total, but we ignore the lack of everything else that he brings to the offensive table. He's just not as good as his reputation suggests.

Your point is good, Moustakas just isn't that guy.

If he is the cleanup hitter, yes. However, as a 5 I think he's fine. If they truly think Jimenez is a cleanup hitter type, then they're ok with Moustakas.