2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I just hope they pick the best player on their board. The White Sox trying to get cute with undersloting seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

This #3 pick is our prize for sitting through a 100 loss season. Everyone else they draft would have been available if they were picking 30th. 

Huh?

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Huh?

He's saying take advantage of picking ahead of everyone, the guys you are trying to manipulate to get in the 2nd round would be there if you weren't a terrible team.

I agree but I also really like Abrams and if you get him with a big discount and can get Leiter or Blake Walston or Goss that's exciting.

Law thinks KC would take Adley over Witt if he's there.

Mark

3:12

If Baltimore does not take Rutchman or Witt, who would KC pick? Is there any way in hell Rutchman could fall to the Pads?

Keith Law

3:13

I think they'd take Rutschman. They don't take Vaughn at 2; Bleday is option C, although when you pick 2 option C is sort of silly. There is no way Rutschman gets to the Padres.

Edited by DirtySox

alex

3:08

Could A. Vaughan play 3B credibly (Elias allegedly saw him take grounders there) if taken by the Os ?   He apparently has a decent arm (he pitched in his freshman or sophomore year).   Thanks

Keith Law

3:08

I wrote that the O's looked at him at 3b. I doubt he can do it but I think it's worth exploring.

Edited by DirtySox

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Huh?

Take the White Sox draft tonight. Take away the first pick and everyone else draft tonight would have been on the board if they selected last in the first round. Their 2nd rounder tonight would have been available with pick 30, right down the line. So their first pick, #3 overall is the prize. 

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Take the White Sox draft tonight. Take away the first pick and everyone else draft tonight would have been on the board if they selected last in the first round. Their 2nd rounder tonight would have been available with pick 30, right down the line. So their first pick, #3 overall is the prize. 

Ok, I guess that is kind of obvious so thought you were getting at something else.  Nevermind.  

fact or fiction?

3:20

I saw Abrams mocked at #10 to the Giants, what are the chances he falls that far?

Keith Law

3:20

I don't believe they'd consider him at all, but he could slip to the teens if the Padres don't take him (which presumes 1-5 are chalk).

Reinforces that Abrams might not have an early home if the White Sox/Padres don't pop him.

Edited by DirtySox

Fake Jeremy Sowers

3:23

What do you think of JJ Bleday's defense? I'm always wary of drafting someone on the lower end of the defensive spectrum.

Keith Law

3:23

Average to 55.

Edited by DirtySox

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ok, I guess that is kind of obvious so thought you were getting at something else.  Nevermind.  

That's why I don't want them to mess around unless the guy they think is the best on the board can be had at a discount. Messing around would be losing 100 games for nothing.

Devon

3:25

A few mocks and some chatter suggests that Abrams might be falling a bit? Any insight into why? Just clubs liking the other guys better / cutting deals to go under-slot?

Keith Law

3:26

Every scenario I think has a chance to happen right now is chalk 1-6 - the same six guys in different orders. That's most likely the three college bats in the top 4, Witt 2, Greene 5, which would mean Abrams 6. If someone ahead of San Diego reaches down at all - e.g., the Tigers take Lodolo - then Abrams could slip and I don't think teams behind San Diego are necessarily planning to take him.

Edited by DirtySox

Neither Law or the BA folks have heard much on the Baty rumor.

Jeff

3:33

Any chance of the underslot deal for Baty at 3 or 8?

Keith Law

3:34

I haven't heard any real rumors to that effect, just twitter bullshit.

Jeff (Btown): Any update on the Baty rumors at 3 or 8?

Carlos Collazo: I still haven't heard much on the Baty to 3 rumors, but he's been regularly tied to the Rangers at 8. If he doesn't go there it's much more difficult to find an obvious landing spot for him—for me personally. Not saying that no teams after that are interested.

Edited by DirtySox

Nick
3:29
You seem to be the most optimistic on Corbin Carroll's power outlook. How many homers do you see him hitting annually?

Keith Law
3:30
He's a 20+ guy for me. Maybe more. Alex Bregman has 48 homers since the start of 2018; I think Carroll has comparable hand strength.

Helpful in understanding why he's so high on carroll.

In contrast, mlb pipeline has him with a 45 future grade for power, equal to that of abrams.

9 minutes ago, Hatchetman said:

I'm going to be an unhappy camper if they draft Abrams.

Man I don’t think it’s possible.  The Sox FO is stupid but they aren’t that stupid.  They always go college.   Witt miiiiight be an exception but not frickin Abrams. 

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That's why I don't want them to mess around unless the guy they think is the best on the board can be had at a discount. Messing around would be losing 100 games for nothing.

I understand your point and I completely agree that they should not get cute with their first pick, but what you’re saying is not exactly accurate. Let’s say they get cute and underslot Baty. All the other guys they draft would have been available (like you mentioned), but you also have this extra guy on top of those picks. If Baty turns out to be a superstar, then losing 100 games allowed you to get him AND get those other guys that would have been available had you not lost 100 games. 

That being said, I absolutely do not want to go this route. Just take the best player, period. 

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

Man I don’t think it’s possible.  The Sox FO is stupid but they aren’t that stupid.  They always go college.   Witt miiiiight be an exception but not frickin Abrams. 

I don't understand the hyperbolic hate around Abrams.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic