Astros interested in Abreu?

southsider2k5

Should be interesting but it's pretty obvious Hahn thinks Abreu is too old for the window. Case closed. He gawn. Relax, it's just greg's opinion. I'm not saying I'm always right. But I really feel this is WAY too obvious. We need some more pitching and we still need a catcher and maybe a shortstop. Let's assume they got it right on our future outfield and we have plenty of DHs. We can move Davidson to first to be the new Paulie.

11 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Why do they need him? 

If Houston is legit, then JD Davis would likely be part of return, I'd think. Houston probably would be doing Davis a favor to move him as he has proven plenty in AAA.

Yordan Alvarez is best we can hope for 

I still think Abreu is too valuable for the younger guys and I really don't want to see him traded for purely selfish reason. Having said that, no is absolutely off-limits. They'd have to get a killing return for him for major-league ready talent that's currently blocked. It also pretty much guarantees that the Sox must sign a big name FA. I can't see the Sox calling up all these young players with Davidson or Castillo being the veteran presence. 

I still think Jose's value could be underrated around here. He unfairly gets lumped into the "1b slugger" category that definitely doesn't have a great market. Jose is flat out a better hitter than the 1B that struggled to get contracts though. Maybe I'm overly optimistic but I'd hold out for a top 50(ish) prospect + another top 10 prospect from the team. 

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

C'mon Stros... aren't you guys good enough?

But I'll take Bukauskas please and thanks. :)

Bukauskas has been on the 7 day dl for a month and a half. 

The return from Houston must include Alvarez, Whitley, or Tucker to make it worth it. I think the Astros might take Cedeno as well. 

Edited by DH in the NL

28 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

The Astros are notoriously stingy with their prospects. Hope they have what it takes. 

The Brewers starting LF and closer, one the Braves best starters, the Pirates 3b and a solid starter all came from the Astros farm.  They won't trade their favorite few guys, but that system is so deep every year, there are plenty of good players to be had.

The Astros were on Abreu heavily when the Sox signed him.

Edited by GreenSox

I think Whitley is the guy to target. They have some lower guys that are interesting as well. Novis and Solis come to mind.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Wow Alvarez is up to 32 on fangraphs top prospects now.  Doubt he's available for Abreu then

He projects as a 1B/DH at the next level. Those guys don't really have a ton of value in trades regardless of where they rank prospect wise.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Bukauskas has been on the 7 day dl for a month and a half. 

The return from Houston must include Alvarez, Whitley, or Tucker to make it worth it. I think the Astros might take Cedeno as well. 

He's a midget who throws with a ton of effort. Of all the guys to target he's not the guy.

7 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

I think Whitley is the guy to target. They have some lower guys that are interesting as well. Novis and Solis come to mind.

He projects as a 1B/DH at the next level. Those guys don't really have a ton of value in trades regardless of where they rank prospect wise.

Whitley is the number 1 pitching prospect in baseball to some. He's not going anywhere. Certainly not for Abreu.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Yordan Alvarez is best we can hope for 

Interesting if this is trade rumor has legs. 

While he is limited defensively...Yordan Alvarez can rake.  I can see JD Davis being involved with being blocked.  Where does Abreu hit in that lineup?  5th?  6th?

I’ve been against trading Abreu for quite some time, but given the pace the first wave of prospects are developing at I think it might make sense to move him if the return is right.  Got to get at least one top 50 prospect plus a nice secondary piece.  From the Astros, I would happily take Alvarez & someone like Cionel Perez.