Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

24 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

Or a Red So uniform.

Except he hates the Red Sox and they don't have anywhere near the payroll flexibility to sign him. I was speaking to best of available options (White Sox/Phillies).

Edited by Dam8610

Just now, ptatc said:

He does however need to sold on their offer, otherwise it would have been signed awhile ago. We know he would prefer the Yankees as a team over any other team.

Right, but he's not negotiating at these meetings. That's his agent's job. He probably has an idea where they are willing to go, and maybe after a sitdown it goes higher.

If it were me, I would prefer a 90 minute meeting vs. a 5 hour meeting. 

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think the shorter meeting has more to do with the funeral. With that said, this is definitely not a bad thing.  If it was a 90 minute “let’s set up your press conference agenda to sign with the Yankees next week” meeting, then the Sox never had a prayer.

This completely.  Which if the latter is true you can't blame the Sox for not getting him.

While I still think we have a better shot at signing Harper, the timing of the meeting is definitely a good thing in my eyes. If it was going extraordinarily well to the point where he wanted to sign there, I feel like he would've wanted to stay longer and find out more. My guess is that he left early because they are so far apart on terms

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

While I still think we have a better shot at signing Harper, the timing of the meeting is definitely a good thing in my eyes. If it was going extraordinarily well to the point where he wanted to sign there, I feel like he would've wanted to stay longer and find out more. My guess is that he left early because they are so far apart on terms

It’s too early to tell, as maybe he’s meeting them for dinner after the funeral. I think the more intriguing this is if the Sox really did meet twice with Manny.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Right, but he's not negotiating at these meetings. That's his agent's job. He probably has an idea where they are willing to go, and maybe after a sitdown it goes higher.

If it were me, I would prefer a 90 minute meeting vs. a 5 hour meeting. 

Right, but I'm sure a general offer was floated out there just to see if he had any interest. They at least said "yeah we aren't going over X years or X amount." or that they were.

I would always prefer a 90 minute over a 5 hour meeting, unless it came with free drinks.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Right, but I'm sure a general offer was floated out there just to see if he had any interest. They at least said "yeah we aren't going over X years or X amount." or that they were.

I would always prefer a 90 minute over a 5 hour meeting, unless it came with free drinks.

What if it came with $300mil :D

3 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

My thoughts: If he was going to sign with the Yankees, I feel like the meeting would have been much longer to discuss the terms of the contract if nothing else.

I doubt they really talked contract details with the Sox either. I'm sure the offers will come this weekend/after Christmas and a decision by the end of next week.

Edited by soxfan2014

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I'm sure they had an idea of what will be offered going in, or why make the trip?  Just throw out some figures and say mystery team.

Edited by Dick Allen

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Giving Chili the benefit of the doubt for a second & saying Machado is eager to sign, I still don’t think a deal gets done this weekend.  Best case scenario he informally selects us and then the two sides start negotiating terms.  This is not going to be a straight forward contract so I think the earliest it could get done is after Christmas but before New Years.

After Christmas and before  the New Year would be an awesome Christmas, birthday and New Years extravaganza for me.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

I'm sure they had an idea of what will be offered going in, or why make the trip?  Just throw out some figures and say mystery team.

Same could be said for why make the trip for a 90 minute meeting. The Yankees needed to make the offer in person to attempt to get him at thier price. We'll see if it work.

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I doubt they really talked contract details with the Sox either. I'm sure the offers will come this weekend/after Christmas and a decision by the end of next week.

Id be shocked if at least ballpark offers are not already on the table.  

Just now, Ross Gload Fan said:

For the sake of his agent's future clients and to feel like a King in NY for a day by the team you grew up idolizing?

His agent's future clients? What does that have to do with anything? If he was sold on the White Sox, and was going to sign there no matter what, he wouldn't be making these visits, and the Yankees and Phillies would be happy he didn't waste their time. 

The agent's job is to get the player what he wants. If he wants the White Sox, then it's the White Sox. The theory that he is just going through the motions for his agent's benefit is laughable.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Same could be said for why make the trip for a 90 minute meeting. The Yankees needed to make the offer in person to attempt to get him at thier price. We'll see if it work.

Machado also needed to sell himself to the Yankees about his comments in the playoffs. People seem to be forgetting about that part.

Edited by soxfan2014

49 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

He needs to make the decision to sign with the White Sox after he leaves the building with the Phillies tomorrow so the White Sox can have some time to put some other pieces around him this year. They already missed out on the best secondary piece on the market in Brantley.

Harper

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Face to face is a bit more effective, both ways. And I am sure there are Yankees personnel that Manny wouldn't mind meeting. 

• Quin locked this topic