yesterday333

Machado signs with Padres 10/300

I would love to know what's gonna be the excuse if they miss out.... How will Hahn get out of this one 

11 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Youre not going to get him for $220.

This the problem with the Yankees waiting in the weeds. They could easily give Machado 2 years $70mil if they want and then Machado hits FA again at 28. 

Lol, Machado isn't taking 2/$70M over 7/$220M.  

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That supposed offer is almost insulting. 

If the white sox were offering insulting offers, the phillies would have signed him by now.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, toasty said:

If he was shut down after the milb season, or at most on a off season throwing schedule, it's likely it wouldn't have happened. Would it have happened later? Maybe but then we wouldn't have lost a year of control. 

Imagine the scenario where the White Sox go into this offseason thinking that because they have Kopech they have a much stronger rotation this year. Maybe they still trade for Nova to cover innings at the back end, but now they're thinking that Kopech is going to lead that rotation and then they sign Machado and think they're right there with the Indians...and then Kopech's arm goes out in April or May. Now he's rehabbing until the middle part of 2020, all the beautiful plans to have a solid rotation in 2019 implode, and we still waste a year of control.

You could have timed it better if you knew it was coming, but you could also have timed it worse.

Just now, bmags said:

If the white sox were offering insulting offers, the phillies would have signed him by now.

Agreed, which is why I tend to think that Bruce and Bob's eyes are brown. They're full of so much shit. 

1 minute ago, toasty said:

If he was shut down after the milb season, or at most on a off season throwing schedule, it's likely it wouldn't have happened. Would it have happened later? Maybe but then we wouldn't have lost a year of control. 

There was zero chance that Michael Kopech was getting shutdown without an injury to go to AAA a 3rd time in 2019, with any honest ability at all to try to claim that it was performance related and not control related.  The Sox would have rightfully had a grievance filed against them, and probably would have lost the year of control anyway.

This would have also put Kopech behind in an attempt to grow his innings as he had thrown 134 in 2017, but only 126 in 2018.  This was counter to the desire to push him up to 150/160 innings to get him ready for a full major league season.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Not if Manny's camp is trying to drive up the price of a team making serious offers.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, Machado isn't taking 2/$70M over 7/$220M.  

I think youre wrong.

If he takes 2/70. All he needs on the back end is 5/150 to hit the 7/220 mark. 

7/220 is under market, and the only way his agent will let him take it is if there is an opt out in year 2 or 3.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

In what must be extremely frustrating to Lozano, it's possible that Hahn has read this market perfectly -- that the Yankees were never seriously involved, that the Phillies true target has always been Harper (and they weren't going to make a play for both guys), and no "mystery team" was even going to come in for $200 mil -- and Hahn has stuck to his guns instead of panicking and raising the offer.  We as fans may be underestimating how much Machado's johnny hustle comments and perceived dirty play during the postseason really hurt his value.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Definitely.  At the very least, we'd hear something or they would be dropped from contention.

Just now, AustinIllini said:

Definitely.  At the very least, we'd hear something or they would be dropped from contention.

That doesn't change the fact that what Bruce and Bob are reporting, is, in fact, an insulting offer. 

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I think youre wrong.

7/220 is under market, and the only way his agent will let him take it is if there is an opt out in year 2 or 3.

Under market?  Do you know what that term means and how to apply it in context?  If the Sox offer is the best currently, that's market value.

• Like 2

I still don’t understand the payoff of back-and-forth rumors of years/$ on twitter... at a certain point, wouldn’t the best way for a free agent to get a better offer be for them to literally tell other teams what the best offer was, so that they could top it, and then go back to the first team with the exact offer of the new high-bidder, etc.? Rather than have multiple teams vaguely guessing?

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

I think youre wrong.

If the current market is any indication, we might be at a point where free agent prices are dropping, which would mean the best time to sign is now.  

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

I think youre wrong.

I don't think he is signing for 7/$220 either (more like 8/$280M), but no person in their right mind is leaving $150M on the table. Its not happening.  Crazy shit happens.  He could have a career ending injury.  He isn't leaving that kind of money on the table.  

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

That doesn't change the fact that what Bruce and Bob are reporting, is, in fact, an insulting offer. 

The White Sox could win four consecutive World Series and you would still be mad. 

No one here should take that opinion seriously.

Just now, Princess Dye said:

7/220 makes sense if we are being generous re: the opt outs.  I'm not shocked about Levine/Nightengale's tweets b/c Machado's suitor list is tiny

If the offer is 7/220, he's not signing it until March 14th. (I hope there are other nerdy people who get this joke) 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hamhock said:

I still don’t understand the payoff of back-and-forth rumors of years/$ on twitter... at a certain point, wouldn’t the best way for a free agent to get a better offer be for them to literally tell other teams what the best offer was, so that they could top it, and then go back to the first team with the exact offer of the new high-bidder, etc.? Rather than have multiple teams vaguely guessing?

I can basically assure you that major league baseball teams don't operate based on twitter rumors.  Twitter rumors are for the fans. 

1 minute ago, AustinIllini said:

The White Sox could win four consecutive World Series and you would still be mad. 

Not true. 

4 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Under market?  Do you know what that term means and how to apply it in context?  If the Sox offer is the best currently, that's market value.

Yes I do. A house could have a fair market value of $500k, but sell for $400k. That means it sold under market.

3 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

If the current market is any indication, we might be at a point where free agent prices are dropping, which would mean the best time to sign is now.  

Its just a bad year to be looking for a huge contract. A lot of the big time teams arent out there. But that doesnt mean they wont be next year.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't think he is signing for 7/$220 either (more like 8/$280M), but no person in their right mind is leaving $150M on the table. Its not happening.  Crazy shit happens.  He could have a career ending injury.  He isn't leaving that kind of money on the table.  

If he signs for 7/220 hell have an opt out in year 2/3. Which means that its a 2-3 year contract. So I agree that he likely would pick a 2-3 year opt out contract, because that gives financial security. But that is a losing deal for the Sox because the only way he opts in is if he under performs.

Ive said all along 8 years $280. 

Edited by Soxbadger

Just now, AustinIllini said:

I doubt that's true of anyone here. Not even the most miserable Sox fan could complain about 4 straight championships.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I can basically assure you that major league baseball teams don't operate based on twitter rumors.  Twitter rumors are for the fans. 

Yes totally.  The sports journalist is quickly becoming one of the most useless things on the planet.  It’s like cats clawing at each other to get off a sinking ship. 

1 minute ago, Dam8610 said:

I doubt that's true of anyone here. Not even the most miserable Sox fan could complain about 4 straight championships.

But it could be 5

• Like 1
  • Haha 1