Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

34 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

San Diego guy said that the Padres can get around the tax issue by giving him a signing bonus. Machado is a FL resident and any SB would be subject to FL taxes, which s zero. 

They better give him a $250M signing bonus then or else they can’t really get around it.

6 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Payroll flexibility only means something if you use it to get a star like Machado. Having payroll flexibility and then signing the Melky Cabrera's and David Robertson's of the world doesn't get you anywhere.

What would you do: If you have 2-3 massive holes in your roster is it better to get a superstar at one of those positions, and ride with the other two holes or should you fill them all with above average players for the same amount of money, should they be available? I'd argue the latter is more efficient and would lead to a better outcome in terms of wins. Would you rather have three 2.5 win players or 1 7 win player and 2  0-1 win players? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

What is crazy is that if you have 2-3 massive holes in your roster is it better to get a superstar at one of those positions, and ride with the other two holes or should you fill them all with above average players for the same amount of money, should they be available? I'd argue the latter is more efficient and would lead to a better outcome. 

I would describe your plan as the 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, and 2016 White Sox. 

We have family and his best friend on our team.  

tax advantage  

location advantage so his family can watch him regularly on tv  

we have been there from the start showing him he is our Number one priority  

What else I am missing that is to our advantage? 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

What would you do: If you have 2-3 massive holes in your roster is it better to get a superstar at one of those positions, and ride with the other two holes or should you fill them all with above average players for the same amount of money, should they be available? I'd argue the latter is more efficient and would lead to a better outcome in terms of wins. Would you rather have 3 2.5 win players or 1 7 win player? 

One 7 War player and it's not even close. 2-3 WAR players are ubiquuitous, 7 WAR players are once a generation type talents. WAR doesn'T work on such a linear scale btw.

Just now, Bigsoxhurt35 said:

I didn’t mean to come off like we’re the fucking Yankees. But he’s really going to sign with SD? I don’t buy it. His friends are here, bigger market, easier division, etc.

280 for 8 makes alot of things easier. 

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

280/8 is crazy. 35 mil a year. If that’s the case, I can’t even blame the Sox for losing.

And this is why you don’t leave the door open for some owner to get excited about the possibility of adding a superstar and talk himself into spending more than people thought.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres