Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

What does sitting on their hands mean in this situation?

Not giving him what he wanted weeks ago to get the deal done when it seemed like no one else was seriously interested in him. Now they've waited for such a long time that other teams are entering the fold again. I get not wanting to overpay but I think Hahn overplayed his hand. 

I hope the sox gets this done. But thinking about it sox did right. If you go and offer 10 300 million right away Lozano is gonna want more. From what rabbit posted the other day it seems Lozano is a pain in the ass and very frustrating to work with. That said the sox can't be outbid here. 

13 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Isn’t that how every negotiation ever goes?

I guess yeah. Theres nothing else they could do but up their offer and bid against themselves. Which I wouldn't care about either. Other teams do it. Eventually we will have to too. Might as well with a 26-year old star.

Edited by soxfan2014

Oh, I’m sure that every team will get to up their offer once additional offers are made. They want to try and maximize as much as they can.  Hence my post regarding pulling back the offer - doesn’t that put Lozano is a worse position than he is now?  If it ever becomes public knowledge the leading offer was x but pulled out, if you really wanted to slow play it you could just say yeah we would be interested but at 10% less than the highest offer since they are no longer interested.  

Just saying 

Edited by ChiSox9

41 minutes ago, Tony said:

What does sitting on their hands mean in this situation?

It's a terrible unfair comment. You can't appease an irrational agent by throwing money at him. Your only control is self-control. Let me know when you are ready to sign while I sit back and watch the dog and pony. 

1 hour ago, Bad Hombre said:

Everybody needs to relax about the Padres interest. This is standard operating procedure in negotiations of this magnitude. There is no shot he signs with San Diego. 

It remains difficult to believe. They have money this year, but they have never had a payroll over $110 million and in 2020 they already have $115 million projected by B-R. 

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

I’m just generally curious at the people who say “The Sox have been sitting on their hands, this should have been over weeks ago!”

So you just want the Sox to pay Lozano’s ransom, whatever the cost may be, because you want Machado on your favorite baseball team? That is such an unrealistic stance I can’t really take it that seriously. 

If Lozano's price has been moderately reasonable - where we thought it would be at the start of the offseason -  and the White Sox lose him because they've been insisting that they need a dramatic discount and waiting for Machado's side to come down, then it's their own fault if they don't get him.

But, as always, we will see. It's entirely possible the Padres getting involved is what the White Sox need to get this done. It's also entirely possible that the White Sox get completely overwhelmed by another team putting up a fair bid when the White Sox demanded a discount. All I ask is we evaluate the GM of the White Sox based on the results at the end. 

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If Lozano's price has been moderately reasonable - where we thought it would be at the start of the offseason -  and the White Sox lose him because they've been insisting that they need a dramatic discount and waiting for Machado's side to come down, then it's their own fault if they don't get him.

But, as always, we will see. It's entirely possible the Padres getting involved is what the White Sox need to get this done. It's also entirely possible that the White Sox get completely overwhelmed by another team putting up a fair bid when the White Sox demanded a discount. All I ask is we evaluate the GM of the White Sox based on the results at the end. 

If we do lose out, on Machado, it may not entirely be the fault of the GM. One might also need to look at ownership. At this point I'm just not sure how much I trust either.

Edited by Saufley

2 minutes ago, ItsCalledComiskey said:

No other official offers are on the table, right?

Time to apply some pressure. Pull back the original offer and send over a lower one. Every day lower your total contract price by a million dollars. Will I be happy to land Machado? Absolutely. But I'll also be okay if we don't land him.

So run the risk of completely pissing off Lozano? There’s no way that works. If the Sox pull their offer, I have no doubt they are out on Machado. He’ll end up somewhere else. 

5 minutes ago, ItsCalledComiskey said:

No other official offers are on the table, right?

Time to apply some pressure. Pull back the original offer and send over a lower one. Every day lower your total contract price by a million dollars. Will I be happy to land Machado? Absolutely. But I'll also be okay if we don't land him.

That would definitely persuade Manny not to come here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony said:

So...if the Sox offered the most money of any team and have the highest contract offer on the table...you want them to back and offer more becuase it’s what Machado wants, no matter what?

If it boils down to it, yes I would rather give him what he wants even if it meant overpaying than not getting him. Maybe waiting it out is the best strategy but I feel like that opens up the possibility of another team swiping him from underneath us.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Tony said:

I’m just generally curious at the people who say “The Sox have been sitting on their hands, this should have been over weeks ago!”

So you just want the Sox to pay Lozano’s ransom, whatever the cost may be, because you want Machado on your favorite baseball team? That is such an unrealistic stance I can’t really take it that seriously. 

Did you hurt your head?  I am concerned. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

? I believe I was agreeing with you...

Fair enough. You have to start out accepting that you cannot force someone to sign. Let the agent know when he is done trying to gin up the market you are ready to sit down and talk. Only leverage is to let it be known you have a Plan B. 

12 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

If it boils down to it, yes I would rather give him what he wants even if it meant overpaying than not getting him. Maybe waiting it out is the best strategy but I feel like that opens up the possibility of another team swiping him from underneath us.

I cannot endorse this statement more highly. Paying Manny Machado way more than our current offers makes complete sense when he might very well put up 40 WAR for us over 10 years, which over that time (and counting inflation) would be worth something like $500 million to this franchise. And frankly, paying $12 million per WAR is something we're used to - we paid more than that in our 2015 and 2016 acquisitions. 

In other words, a $500 million dollar deal for Manny Machado could very well be better spending than our last batch of free agent acquisitions, and no one is talking about that kind of money for him. A $300 million deal has a strong chance of being the best contract the White Sox offer for any US Free agent this decade. 

• Like 2

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres