Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
turnin' two

Anyone think Kimbrel would be a good idea?

Recommended Posts

I wonder where his market is right now.  If he would take a one year high AAV deal, I'd be all over that.  He would be quite the trade bait.  Even at an inflated rate, he would be in huge demand.  Heck, I am already willing to bet the Red Sox and cubs will need pen help at the deadline.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SoxFanForever said:

Considering he was looking for a 6 year deal, no. 

 

16 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

He's really good but the bullpen is the least of my concerns right now

Yeah, that's why I said as a 1 year high AAV deal as trade bait.   Was that not clear?

Edited by turnin' two
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

 

Yeah, that's why I said as a 1 year high AAV deal as trade bait.   Was that not clear?

Why would he take a 1 year deal on a rebuilding team as trade bait? 

 

He's 30 so probably looking at one of his last shots t at a long term deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A top notch closer on this team seems like a huge waste. Of all of the things we could spend money on. This would be the last.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, southsider2k5 said:

A top notch closer on this team seems like a huge waste. Of all of the things we could spend money on. This would be the last.

Agreed. A lot of other positions those resources could be used more efficiently. SP, CF, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP is correct in stating that getting Kimbrel on a one year deal could potentially serve as a deadly trade piece at the deadline. It may even be the most significant trade piece available.

I think he's right on that.

But yeh -- Kimbrel will likely get a multi-year deal so the point is moot. I bet Kimbrel falls a part at some point during the multi-year deal that he gets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. Kimbrel makes sense for the Cubs but they aren't spending. On another note he's a really good pitcher. Pretty crazy that Machado, Harper, Kuechel and Kimbrel are sitting out there on February 13.

Edited by soxfan49

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

A top notch closer on this team seems like a huge waste. Of all of the things we could spend money on. This would be the last.

Yeah, again, not really looking at this as a long term piece for the Sox (or even a piece).  I was thinking of it more like buying prospects.  I am having a hard time seeing his market right now.  Where is this big long term contract with a contender coming from?   There hasn't even been any smoke about anything relating to Kimbrel other than him being laughed out of negotiations when he was asking for 100 million.  

There is a 100% chance some team will need a dominant closer at the deadline.  

Now, I have no idea what offers he has, I haven't heard anything.  But if he doesn't have what he is looking for, maybe a 1/20 deal with an option or something (vests if traded???) would make sense for him.

 

Anyways I'm glad this got me through page 666.

Edited by turnin' two

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would I like Kimbrel on the Sox? Yes.

Do I think the Sox should sign Kimbrel? No. They shouldn't spend that much on a closer when they are still at least 2 seasons away from competing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Yeah, again, not really looking at this as a long term piece for the Sox (or even a piece).  I was thinking of it more like buying prospects.  I am having a hard time seeing his market right now.  Where is this big long term contract with a contender coming from?   There hasn't even been any smoke about anything relating to Kimbrel other than him being laughed out of negotiations when he was asking for 100 million.  

There is a 100% chance some team will need a dominant closer at the deadline.  

Now, I have no idea what offers he has, I haven't heard anything.  But if he doesn't have what he is looking for, maybe a 1/20 deal with an option or something (vests if traded???) would make sense for him.

 

Anyways I'm glad this got me through page 666.

There would be about 20 better teams falling over themselves to give Kimbrel a short term deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They've already spent what, $15 million this year on Colome and Herrera? 

Honestly I probably woulda preferred Kimbrel to that...but can't undo those deals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

They've already spent what, $15 million this year on Colome and Herrera? 

Honestly I probably woulda preferred Kimbrel to that...but can't undo those deals. 

I actually came here to say if they hadn't done those moves, I probably would have been all over him on say a 1 year, around QO amount deal. Before agreeing to that though, I would probably try to lock him in on about 4 years, but it seems he wants more. We'll see what he ends up getting though.

 

Where we currently are in the off-season: no.

Edited by soxfan2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sox won't forfeit the 44th pick to sign a closer. The bullpen should actually be the strength of the team this year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

A top notch closer on this team seems like a huge waste. Of all of the things we could spend money on. This would be the last.

I don't know that it would ever be good bet to give a huge contract to a closer who was last seen getting rocked, as Kimbrel did last fall. The only contract I would give him would be a 1-year deal with intent to flip him. No thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rumors everywhere that Kimbrel was spotted at Orlando airport today....Braves spring training is there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Rumors everywhere that Kimbrel was spotted at Orlando airport today....Braves spring training is there 

They make the too much sense for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×