Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RTC

Free Agency - How confident are you?

The winter of our discontent   

184 members have voted

  1. 1. What do you think will REALLY happen this winter?

    • I'm confident they'll land a big fish (e.g. Cole)
      11
    • I'm confident they'll land a solid FA (e.g. Grandal) that actually makes an impact
      56
    • I think any FA signings will fall in the "decent" range
      40
    • I'm hoping beyond hope that the FO can get out of their own way and at least sign one person that's not crap
      35
    • This winter is going to be another pile of hot garbage
      42


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'd like them to find the next Yordan Alvarez or Aristides Aquino like the Astros acquired Alvarez from the Dodgers .

Aquino was non-tendered by the Reds and became a free agent on November 30, 2018. He re-signed a minor league deal on December 3, 2018. So there was a small window to acquire him at a time when we had no production in right field.

Aquino was also kinda bad in his last two minor league seasons. I don't think you can fault them/or any other team for not jumping at the chance to sign a guy who had a .700ish OPS in his last two seasons. He never had much prospect pedigree either.

Edited by GermanSoxFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Aquino was also kinda bad in his last two minor league seasons. I don't think you can fault them/or any other team for not jumping at the chance to sign a guy who had a .700ish OPS in his last two seasons. He never had much prospect pedigree either.

You're probably right but isn't that what rebuilding teams do ? After all, we acquired Tilson, Palka ,Cordell, Gillaspie (not an OF ), LaMarre and probably a few I am missing during the rebuild. Who is out there trying to identify Dominican talent ? Notice anything all those guys I mentioned have in common ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You're probably right but isn't that what rebuilding teams do ? After all we acquired Tilson, Palka ,Cordell, Gillaspie (not an OF ), LaMarre and probably a few I am missing during the rebuild.

You mean give Mercedes a chance instead of a retread in Skole?  I’m sure they will also try to make Covey a starter instead of seeing if he can make it as an Opener.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fathom said:

You mean give Mercedes a chance instead of a retread in Skole?  I’m sure they will also try to make Covey a starter instead of seeing if he can make it as an Opener.

Well I always thought that I was among the 1st here if not the 1st to start inquiring about Mercedes last year. David Ortiz and Edgar Martinez didn't become who they became until around the same age as Mercedes.  A 1.033 OPS kind of speaks for itself and for a team hurting for power you'd think they could find some room for him if they just got rid of Castillo. It's just the last month of the season. I also edited/added to that post above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well I always thought that I was among the 1st here if not the 1st to start inquiring about Mercedes last year. David Ortiz and Edgar Martinez didn't become who they became until around the same age as Mercedes.  A 1.033 OPS kind of speaks for itself and for a team hurting for power you'd think they could find some room for him if they just got rid of Castillo. It's just the last month of the season. I also edited/added to that post above.

They’ve shown no creativity the 2nd half of the year. A part of me thinks they got their hopes up they could compete after a solid first half, and that caused them to spend another month or so trying to win games instead of develop guys like Collins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, fathom said:

They’ve shown no creativity the 2nd half of the year. A part of me thinks they got their hopes up they could compete after a solid first half, and that caused them to spend another month or so trying to win games instead of develop guys like Collins.

Nah they knew they couldn't compete . They would have to be blind to the holes in the starting staff to think that. I think it's they have no interest in winning a bunch more games because of the draft pick.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Nah they knew they couldn't compete . They would have to be blind to the holes in the starting staff to think that. I think it's they have no interest in winning a bunch more games because of the draft pick.

They were definitely of the impression that they could be in the wild card hunt at the ASB.  They thought Cease would be an upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, fathom said:

They’ve shown no creativity the 2nd half of the year. A part of me thinks they got their hopes up they could compete after a solid first half, and that caused them to spend another month or so trying to win games instead of develop guys like Collins.

Yeah the lack of courage and creativity irks me the most. The Cardinals always give guys who produced in the upper minors extensive looks even when they are competing . That’s how they ended up with guys who had some good years in the majors like Allen Craig, Jose Martinez Paul Dejong and  Matt Adams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, fathom said:

They were definitely of the impression that they could be in the wild card hunt at the ASB.  They thought Cease would be an upgrade.

Based on what, struggling in Triple-A?

Edited by soxfan2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2019 at 4:11 PM, fathom said:

They were definitely of the impression that they could be in the wild card hunt at the ASB.  They thought Cease would be an upgrade.

I don't believe it for a second. I think you are fooling yourself. They aren't that stupid no matter how much I criticize them. Giolito was good the 1st half but who else was there ? Nova was bad the 1st half ,Lopez was bad, Banuelos was bad then got injured. Covey was bad, Rodon was bad then got hurt. Giolito and a rookie just coming up wouldn't make anyone think you could compete along with retreads like Depaigne and Detwiler.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
no changes
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Passan saying Strasburg likely to opt out. Surprised nobody beat me to this. 

This was posted last week because it's the article where he mentioned us being motivated for Cole and that Moncada and Giolito are extension candidates 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

This was posted last week because it's the article where he mentioned us being motivated for Cole and that Moncada and Giolito are extension candidates 

Screw being motivated for Cole...go get him Rick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fathom said:

Pineda busted for PED. I’m shocked someone on the Twins was doing something illegal.

Hahaha. Well that explains his 2nd half. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fathom said:

Pineda busted for PED. I’m shocked someone on the Twins was doing something illegal.

Meanwhile, Nelson Cruz’s blood is about as clean as Spiderman’s and nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Lol...KW should check the free agent list before making these bold statements.  I’m not sure a single free agent fits that description at the moment.  Maybe instead of just winking at Harper during their face-to-face with him he should have handed him a check for $300M.  Now your options are either sign a right handed guy like Ozuna or  trade for a left handed option.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Stone has been talking up kole Calhoun so much it appears be will be the big target.

Yep, let’s hope he’s not the biggest offensive addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep, let’s hope he’s not the biggest offensive addition

I’d take Calhoun over Puig. Should be cheaper too I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Stone has been talking up kole Calhoun so much it appears be will be the big target.

I can totally see Calhoun hitting below .200 with us. He doesn't hit for a high average to begin with, but knowing our luck with left handed power hitters...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×