Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

4 minutes ago, Cashman said:

I agree as well, just wonder what Wheeler thinks he is actually worth.

Probably 115 million. He may be holding out to see if he can get the Sox to increase their offer to 115 by drumming up all this interest. The Sox may not be budging as the Twins and maybe others haven't submitted offers over 100m, and probably don't plan to. I think Minnesota will pivot to Bum on a more reasonable deal. 

5 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Hopefully Wheeler circles back to the Sox should a team outbid us. I think he probably would.

No way that he doesn't. Machado circled back to us and we didnt want to go there. That is why Moncada was moved to third two days before the Padres announced the deal. 

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

No way that he doesn't. Machado circled back to us and we didnt want to go there. That is why Moncada was moved to third two days before the Padres announced the deal. 

He didn't circle back, the Sox FO learned the news with the rest of us. When Moncada was moved to 3B, that Padres deal hadn't even been offered yet

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

He didn't circle back, the Sox FO learned the news with the rest of us. When Moncada was moved to 3B, that Padres deal hadn't even been offered yet

Yeah okay. They knew the offer was 300 million, but they didn't think that offer was better than their offer. That's why they said they werent comfortable going that high in the deal, as they needed to pay our core. 

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

@raBBit and @Tony...

How are you guys feeling about Wheeler compared to last week?  Do you feel less confident the longer it drags on, or do you still feel like we're gonna get him?

I think we should still be confident. It is clear Wheeler is waiting to see if the Twins, Reds, and Rangers will make an offer over the 100 million offered by the Sox. So nothing has probably changed on their end. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I think we should still be confident. It is clear Wheeler is waiting to see if the Twins, Reds, and Rangers will make an offer over the 100 million offered by the Sox. So nothing has probably changed on their end. 

How do we know the Sox offer

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

How do we know the Sox offer

We don't, but I'm fairly confident it's one of the 9 digit ones from a combination of reports that Wheeler is going to be a 100m dollar man and the Sox name still being tied to him and not starting to see smoke around Ryu or Bum. 

Edited by mqr

I imagine the Sox may be getting a bit frustrated as, what appears to be, their offer is being used as leverage to drive bidding up in the media for about two weeks now. This is one risk you take by giving your offer up front. 

That said, I think it's good news for the Sox... again, because Wheeler has made his desired deadline known and it doesn't appear that anyone has leapfrogged the offer yet, and their offer may have actually chased away some formal offers from other clubs as he exceeded their budget.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I imagine the Sox may be getting a bit frustrated as, what appears to be, their offer is being used as leverage to drive bidding up in the media for about two weeks now. This is one risk you take by giving your offer up front. 

That said, I think it's good news for the Sox... again, because Wheeler has made his desired deadline known and it doesn't appear that anyone has leapfrogged the offer yet, and their offer may have actually chased away some formal offers from other clubs as he exceeded their budget.

The Sox had to have known their offer was gonna be shopped. They are in good shape and need to remain confident in this FA. I am concerned about RF because I don't think they like any of the options. So we probably will make a small trade. 

24 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Probably 115 million. He may be holding out to see if he can get the Sox to increase their offer to 115 by drumming up all this interest. The Sox may not be budging as the Twins and maybe others haven't submitted offers over 100m, and probably don't plan to. I think Minnesota will pivot to Bum on a more reasonable deal. 

Twins are already talking to Boras about Ryu.

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

Yeah.  But there are a number of teams meeting with the top 2.  If they would give Cole 280 million they surely would give Wheeler 100.

Yeah, but can they give Wheeler 100 million if he wants to sign before the Winter Meetings and still have the possibility of signing Cole? I don't think so. I think the timing makes it difficult for them to be in on both. Cole won't sign early, so if that's your main target you just have to wait it out and hope.

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I didn't hear that. Thanks for the info. As expected, they are pivoting. This may mean we are close to a Wheeler signing. I do not want Ryu playing for the Twins. 

Ryu can never stay healthy over a full season anyway. As long as the Sox get Wheeler, I don't care if Ryu goes to the Twins.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer