Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
harkness99

mazara

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, wegner said:

Make changes on their own time!!  Well I guess this is their own time but, but....oh just put Launch Engel out there and at least you'll have his elite D.  These constant weak groundouts by Mazara are maddening.

I agree with you that they will bring him back.

I like Engel but similarly to mccann, I think he's benefited big time from how they've used him. Playing him daily likely exposes him. At least his defense is there and with mazara having zero power somehow, you're not losing much offensively if at all.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I like Engel but similarly to mccann, I think he's benefited big time from how they've used him. Playing him daily likely exposes him. At least his defense is there and with mazara having zero power somehow, you're not losing much offensively if at all.

I actually agree that playing Engel everyday isn’t the answer, but I would play him more. I don’t think Sox should cut Mazara today or anything, but he’s not returning next season, that I’m confident of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I want a RF as much as anyone - I think based on my George Springer thread people know that. I just don't believe the sox will allow a weird year where they succeeded with him struggling to stop them from believing he can untap something with in a normal season. 

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it.

You honestly think Mazara is coming back after the year he had. Zero chance...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I like Engel but similarly to mccann, I think he's benefited big time from how they've used him. Playing him daily likely exposes him. At least his defense is there and with mazara having zero power somehow, you're not losing much offensively if at all.

In a short season, exposing a player is less of a concern imho.  I was just really puzzled why Ricky benched Engel after a day where he hustled out 2 infield singles.  That kind of thing should be rewarded, but once again we got Mazara with if I remember correctly a couple of weak grounders and a strikeout.  It's just very frustrating.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

You honestly think Mazara is coming back after the year he had. Zero chance...

Sox aren't going to cut ties with a guy they liked because of 40 games in a weird season.

Only way I see them cutting him loose is if he's been disrespectful or uncoachable 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I want a RF as much as anyone - I think based on my George Springer thread people know that. I just don't believe the sox will allow a weird year where they succeeded with him struggling to stop them from believing he can untap something with in a normal season. 

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it.

Jerry doesn't appear to be completely happy with our offense. In that story The Score posted the other day, he met with Hahn to talk about ways to improve offensively. In normal times I'd agree with you, but I think Jerry wants to go out with a bang. Mazara,EE, and Gio G not coming back is like 20+ million off the books. If he can find a three year guy, it will line up with expiring contracts of DK and Grandal, and the extension of Gio.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wegner said:

In a short season, exposing a player is less of a concern imho.  I was just really puzzled why Ricky benched Engel after a day where he hustled out 2 infield singles.  That kind of thing should be rewarded, but once again we got Mazara with if I remember correctly a couple of weak grounders and a strikeout.  It's just very frustrating.  

This is true; he could run good for a week and the season is pretty much over. I think Engel has earned it, but I also think they want Mazara to play through this because otherwise they think he won't find his way out.

If they are working with him everyday on a mechanical adjustment to get more lift - which to me seems to be what they're doing and why he's rolling over everything oddly enough - he needs to play. They may see results in BP right now and even in the cages, but it's not transitioning to the field. They will want him to play through it to find the change in the game as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I want a RF as much as anyone - I think based on my George Springer thread people know that. I just don't believe the sox will allow a weird year where they succeeded with him struggling to stop them from believing he can untap something with in a normal season. 

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it.

 Based off of what Stoney and Menechino have said, there’s no chance that Mazara is back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Mazara has played 33 games and has 107 abs with zero spring. The sox wouldn't move on from the guy if he had a bad 5 weeks in a regular season. 

 

I don't think Mazara was ever their answer. He was a lottery ticket. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Mazara has played 33 games and has 107 abs with zero spring. The sox wouldn't move on from the guy if he had a bad 5 weeks in a regular season. 

 

Yea but let's not pretend like he has a great track record here.  The Sox got him hoping he would be able to recognize the talent he has, and even in a strange shortened season he has face planted.  They really don't have any obligation to him, he can go.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

Jerry doesn't appear to be completely happy with our offense. In that story The Score posted the other day, he met with Hahn to talk about ways to improve offensively. In normal times I'd agree with you, but I think Jerry wants to go out with a bang. Mazara,EE, and Gio G not coming back is like 20+ million off the books. If he can find a three year guy, it will line up with expiring contracts of DK and Grandal, and the extension of Gio.  

Maybe Jerry wants to get Springer, and I'm all in on that.. the Sox will have plenty of money to spend. That said, I don't buy for one minute that Jerry is unhappy about anything on this team lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Maybe Jerry wants to get Springer, and I'm all in on that.. the Sox will have plenty of money to spend. That said, I don't buy for one minute that Jerry is unhappy about anything on this team lol.

It sounds like he isn’t confident they can hit Indians pitching 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fathom said:

 Based off of what Stoney and Menechino have said, there’s no chance that Mazara is back. 

I actually took Menechino's comments completely differently than how many read them. A lot of people took them as a shot at Mazara.

"I haven’t figured that out. He’s in between mechanics sometimes. He’s in between approach sometimes. There’s gotta be some kind of pressing going on in there. So, you know, to really pinpoint it, I can’t."

To me, this is just saying he's going through some changes and he hasn't been able to sync up his approach and mechanics and now he's pressing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Maybe Jerry wants to get Springer, and I'm all in on that.. the Sox will have plenty of money to spend. That said, I don't buy for one minute that Jerry is unhappy about anything on this team lol.

I didn't say unhappy, I said not completely happy. And yes this team is balling, but the goal is a title. If we are honest as fans, we know to get to the Yankees and Dodgers level we need a few more pieces. And I like your idea of Springer because I think he can be had at a much lower price now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I didn't say unhappy, I said not completely happy. And yes this team is balling, but the goal is a title. If we are honest as fans, we know to get to the Yankees and Dodgers level we need a few more pieces. And I like your idea of Springer because I think he can be had at a much lower price now. 

Yeah, I don't agree with this totally. The Sox are clearly at the level. The Sox have 3 of the 4 best players in the AL this year according to BRef, and 5 of the top 22 according to fWAR. Sox fans just seem uncomfortable accepting how good the players are it feels like; and I get it, the Sox have never had a collection of young talent like this, and it's hard to believe. The Sox have a star at 6 positions. A STAR. Then they have Madrigal and Mazara.

The Sox don't "need" a few more pieces offensively. I think the Sox should fill the Mazara hole, but it's not a glaring need on a team that has stars all over the diamond. The Sox do need another SP and maybe another BP piece, but so does every team in baseball but for maybe the Dodgers.

 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I don't agree with this totally. The Sox are clearly at the level. The Sox have 3 of the 4 best players in the AL this year according to BRef, and 5 of the top 22 according to fWAR. Sox fans just seem uncomfortable accepting how good the players are it feels like; and I get it, the Sox have never had a collection of young talent like this, and it's hard to believe. The Sox have a star at 6 positions. A STAR. Then they have Madrigal and Mazara.

The Sox don't "need" a few more pieces offensively. I think the Sox should fill the Mazara hole, but it's not a glaring need on a team that has stars all over the diamond. The Sox do need another SP and maybe another BP piece, but so does every team in baseball but for maybe the Dodgers.

 

Given the economic impact of COVID, don’t you think the Sox could get a far better RF than Mazara for a similar salary they would have to give him via arbitration?  As you mentioned, they have very few holes to fill.  Thus, finding a quality lefty bat should be a priority along with SP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fathom said:

Given the economic impact of COVID, don’t you think the Sox could get a far better RF than Mazara for a similar salary they would have to give him via arbitration?  As you mentioned, they have very few holes to fill.  Thus, finding a quality lefty bat should be a priority along with SP.

You would think so, but if they were high on Mazara (who knows if they truly were) they'll keep him. If they were just taken a flyer as some think, they'll move on. If he's playing in October without breaking out of his funk I would fully expect him to be back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I actually took Menechino's comments completely differently than how many read them. A lot of people took them as a shot at Mazara.

"I haven’t figured that out. He’s in between mechanics sometimes. He’s in between approach sometimes. There’s gotta be some kind of pressing going on in there. So, you know, to really pinpoint it, I can’t."

To me, this is just saying he's going through some changes and he hasn't been able to sync up his approach and mechanics and now he's pressing. 

If you look at the last part of the quote, it is even more interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sox aren't going to cut ties with a guy they liked because of 40 games in a weird season.

Only way I see them cutting him loose is if he's been disrespectful or uncoachable 

They might cut ties because of his career at this point. They were buying a project, it didn't work out. He's not just in a slump, this is unplayable. This slashline is like@Harold's Leg Lift having a wet dream about Madrigal failing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is true; he could run good for a week and the season is pretty much over. I think Engel has earned it, but I also think they want Mazara to play through this because otherwise they think he won't find his way out.

If they are working with him everyday on a mechanical adjustment to get more lift - which to me seems to be what they're doing and why he's rolling over everything oddly enough - he needs to play. They may see results in BP right now and even in the cages, but it's not transitioning to the field. They will want him to play through it to find the change in the game as well.

The problem though is "Mazara not able to take his approach into games" has been the issue throughout his career from reading Rangers reports on him. It's not that he doesn't work hard, he just can't translate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sox aren't going to cut ties with a guy they liked because of 40 games in a weird season.

Only way I see them cutting him loose is if he's been disrespectful or uncoachable 

Yolmer won a gold glove.. Then we cut him over 4 million. Mazara will not make this team. We aren't that stupid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Parrot and Mazara battling it out for the Dunn and Done Award, sponsored by White Sox Gar Pax, given annually to the worst White Sox acquisition.

Hitters (Batting Average / OPS / WAR / Salary Annual & Total Paid)

Pitchers (IP / ERA / WAR / Salary Annual & Total Paid)

  • 2020 Edwin Encarnacion .168 / .668 / -0.2 / $5.1M / $5.1M in a virtual tie versus 2020 Nomar Mazara  .217 / .555 / -0.2 / $2.1M / $2.1M
  • 2019 Kelvin Herrera 51.3 / 6.14 / -0.4 / $8.5M / $18.0M (Free Agent)
  • 2018 Wellington Castillo .209 / .684 / 0.5 / $7.3M / $14.5M (Free Agent)
  • 2017 Derek Holland 135.0 / 6.20 / -0.1 / $6.0M / $6.0M (Free Agent)
  • 2016 James Shields 114.3 / 6.77 / -1.9 / $5.0M / $27.0M (Trade for Fernando Tatis Jr. and Erik Johnson)
  • 2015 Jeff Samardzija 214.0 / 4.96 / 0.3 / $9.8M / $9.8M (Trade for Marcus Semien, Chris Bassitt, Josh Phegley and Rangel Ravelo)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×