Garrett Crochet Called Up

DirtySox

21 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Can we really expect him to throw 100 for 100 pitches every 5 days? Surely not? Still feel he would dominate at 97-98. I dont know anything tho

Yeah, I don’t know...what about a sort of hybrid?  Pair him with a guy like Dunning (completely different type of pitcher) and ask them both to go 3ish innings every 5 days.  Try to work them in on their bullpen day between starts for an inning or two in relief.

I’m sure there’s plenty of reasons that wouldn’t work, otherwise the Rays would be doing it.  But I was still intrigued by my own idea!

Crochet is obviously going to stay in the bullpen for the rest of this season, but I wonder if the Sox will put him on the Chris Sale path. Have him be a high leverage guy next year and then stretch him out to become a starter in 2022. I feel like that would make some degree of sense because Keuchel would be nearing the end of his contract at that point anyway.

3 hours ago, Dallas Kong said:

Didn’t pay as much attention to this draft as I usually do, but I seem to recall a few people saying they didn’t want Crochet. Was that the consensus?

He had a short track record as a starter, so there are concerns about his ability to start due to motion, lack of resume.

Which is fair, if sox had drafted a guy to be a bullpen pitcher at 11 you wouldn’t be happy. But his talent is undeniable and I’m happy they took a shot. Still has a long way to go and learn, but give him the ball for an inning and he’s ready now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

What a shutdown bullpen.

Crotchett

Heuer

Colome 

Bummer (if healthy)

Foster

jesus this bullpen is lights out, funny how adding 1 guy can make you look at it differently.

Same thing as looking at last night's lineup without TA. Only one player different, but world's different look to the lineup. 

Give the bullpen a final piece like Crochet to glue it all together and the puzzle really comes together.

I always thought of Kopech in the same vein that some now consider Crochet - as a lights out flame throwing setup man or  Closer.... and for the same reasons that some have expressed here.

I wish Kopech could be with the team to enjoy this run. It has been fun so far.

2 hours ago, pcq said:

As an amateur using my naked lens scan I don't see quite as much torque on the elbow as Sale. Maybe they can measure that? 

Yes. They are both similar in that regard. He keeps the elbow in a vulnerable position  because it never extends to take stress off the ligament.

4 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

I know. Chris got what, 8 years before his fell off?

Adding to what ptact said, 8 years of life on an elite arm sure would be a win here. Everyone’s different of course but no one should be writing this kid off of anything right now. 

30 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Adding to what ptact said, 8 years of life on an elite arm sure would be a win here. Everyone’s different of course but no one should be writing this kid off of anything right now. 

Oh heck no. We can analyze all we want but some people can just genetically do weird motions (i know what that sounds get your mind out the the gutter). Until he starts to have regular issues, the medical staff will watch it, you dont count anything out. 

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Oh heck no. We can analyze all we want but some people can just genetically do weird motions (i know what that sounds get your mind out the the gutter). 

Tool.jpg

Believe it or not... this is a photograph of a woman contortionist preforming... while one member from the “audience” is tossing her a rose.

22 hours ago, ptatc said:

I go with the young, unproven guys as the seem MLB ready and need to learn at the MLB level. Unless it is truly a one year deal as stated before. Long term FA pitcher deals aren't worth the trouble when they have young controlled starters. It would turn into a Mazara situation, the vet gets the starts because the team acquired him not that he would necessarily be better.

Bauer is a proven top of the rotation guy, Mazara was a proven bad baseball player before we ever got him.  This is an awful comparison.  

1 hour ago, Rowand44 said:

Bauer is a proven top of the rotation guy, Mazara was a proven bad baseball player before we ever got him.  This is an awful comparison.  

Mazara wasnt bad. He was ok. However that proves my point even more. If they let a bad baseball continue to start regardless of the the better players behind what do you think they will do with decent baseball players. They will have good cost controlled pitching wasting away when they didnt need to waste resources acquiring him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Mazara wasnt bad. He was ok. However that proves my point even more. If they let a bad baseball continue to start regardless of the the better players behind what do you think they will do with decent baseball players. They will have good cost controlled pitching wasting away when they didnt need to waste resources acquiring him.

Nah, he was bad.  And your point given this reference still makes 0 sense.  Bauer is a TOR so yes, if he does what he usually does they’re going to let him pitch.  This is silly. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Nah, he was bad.  And your point given this reference still makes 0 sense.  Bauer is a TOR so yes, if he does what he usually does they’re going to let him pitch.  This is silly. 

But why spend the resources there when the Sox have other options? You know that the "payroll" will not go up much with the financial difficulties this year. Bauer would be an upgrade but those resources can be used more effectively elsewhere.

• bmags unpinned this topic