Passan: Springer to White Sox not happening

KrankinSox

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

We still have no idea if they will take on significant money via trade for pitching. Also, I think it’s bogus for people to not acknowledge that all budget decisions got blown up over the last year due to a pandemic. There’s a reason only 3-5 teams are expected to increase payroll (and Sox are one of them)

oh god, cry me a river. Money is cheap as hell right now and there is greater clarity of things recovering, 2022 should be back to normal. Every other league is handling this fine but the mlb owners are going to lose their shirts? GMAFB.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am not falling for this again.  When every sign is saying we are heading to the Dollar Store for off season shopping, no reason to expect a PS5 under the tree.

I’m not expecting a PS5. I’m just saying, some people are already giving up. The same stuff happens every year.

Edited by maloney.adam

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Outside of Bauer (who you hate anyways), is there a free agent pitcher you would want to pitch a key game in the postseason?  I swear it feels like some people are melting down this morning just cause they hate Jerry (god knows he needs to sell) or hate Tony so much that it’s ruined everything about the franchise for themselves.

I don't hate Jerry, I just hate that we seem to not sign the big guy. Same thing with the Bulls at this point. Bauer is a no brainer for this team and the big boys get these types of deals done. 

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The first report from a national writer on the White Sox off-season is "they're not in on this player because he's a high tier talent in FA" and you don't understand how that is frustrating to fans who have watched this episode play on repeat for 40 years?

Actually there have been numerous reports by national guys the last few weeks saying Sox are one of the few teams expected to spend.

I was just thinking about this this morning: knowing how things have gone here, I bet as soon as the next owner comes in, it won't be more than a couple of years before he'll try to bend the city over backwards for a new stadium with a threat to move the team afterward.  BTW anyone really think Manfred is the kind of guy who try to keep the Sox in IL?  I hope Lightfoot is still mayor at that point; with some outsider like Emmanuel or whatever it might be pretty difficult to navigate the next gigantic round of bullshit which this franchise is headed for.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Actually there have been numerous reports by national guys the last few weeks saying Sox are one of the few teams expected to spend.

I can't wait to spend on:

Kelvin Herrerra
Wellignton Castillo
Melky Cabrera
Zach Duke
Jeff Keppinger
Jon Jay
Yonder Alonso

How exciting!

The White Sox had a clear hole in their outfield - the one good player there available they're not in on.

The White Sox had a clear hole in their rotation - the one top level player available there, they're not interested in.

When the White Sox said they're going to spend, that just means they'll likely spend a little more than they have the past 5 years when they weren't even trying.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

The report is not "Springer isn't a fit for sox because his own internal wants" which is YOUR argument, Passan's is laughing off that the sox would try to sign a high ticket free agent. I get you try to mind meld to what is possible to the sox as you learn what they want, but there's no reason for us, who don't work for the team, to constantly live in their limited mindset as the correct choice. 

As many have said, if the white sox want to be the As or the Rays, then go be the As or Rays. But they think they aren't, so prove it.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

We were always led to believe that when this rebuild was over, the money would be there to sign the top guys. Here we go shopping the clearance aisle again. 

This is the most frustrating thing about this.  We were sold that with all of the savings over the years that they would be ready to go top dollar to push this over the top.  In the end Jerry is still Jerry.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I’m not expecting a PS5. I’m just saying, some people are already giving up. The same stuff happens every year.

It happens every year because the White Sox do this EVERY SINGLE YEAR; like in the entire history of the organization.

Man, I was mr optimistic at one point. That optimism simply isn't warranted or justified in any way.

27 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Eaton still makes tons of sense regardless.  This is TA & Abreus team, Giolito's team, etc.  He's walking into a brand new, completely different clubhouse.  The only issues are FO issues.

Of course we all know about KW's grudges and same with the dorf, but Eaton's lower pricetag and short-term "make good" deal potential probably wins him a lot of favor from the dorf.  But I still doubt KW would be a man about it.

Eh, aside his temper, he gets hurt too often. 

18 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think the biggest impact acquisition will be made via trade.  

This might be true but it's a terrible strategy. Trading prospects right now in this environment just doesn't make any sense. 

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I can't wait to spend on:

Kelvin Herrerra
Wellignton Castillo
Melky Cabrera
Zach Duke
Jeff Keppinger
Jon Jay
Yonder Alonso

How exciting!

The White Sox had a clear hole in their outfield - the one good player there available they're not in on.

The White Sox had a clear hole in their rotation - the one top level player available there, they're not interested in.

When the White Sox said they're going to spend, that just means they'll likely spend a little more than they have the past 5 years when they weren't even trying.

The hope is that the changes to pro scouting greatly impact and improve the free agent additions. They could sign 5 players instead of Springer but they need to extract value from those 5 players instead of hitting on 1 of them and paying for past performance on the others. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

The report is not "Springer isn't a fit for sox because his own internal wants" which is YOUR argument, Passan's is laughing off that the sox would try to sign a high ticket free agent. I get you try to mind meld to what is possible to the sox as you learn what they want, but there's no reason for us, who don't work for the team, to constantly live in their limited mindset as the correct choice. 

As many have said, if the white sox want to be the As or the Rays, then go be the As or Rays. But they think they aren't, so prove it.

Bauer was and is always the clear choice for me. I don’t even particularly like Joc, as he seems the type to come here and hit .175.  It’s just I never thought Springer was a legit option.  I know there were people affiliated with Astros who knew he wanted to go back to east coast.

Just like last year...wheeler's wife influenced his decision, If Springer gets near similar offers from the Sox and a team GUARANTEEING him CF, he will take that offer 9/10 times. He already won a WS, he just wants a payday at this point, playing the position he wants to play. I don't fault him for that, and honestly he was always a luxury...SP is where the money should be going

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

It's all true. Springer wants to lead off and play CF and he wants to be paid like it. If the White Sox offered him 5/125 and told him he's playing RF, I'm sure he'd take it. The Sox offered someone 5/125 last offseason. They just don't think a similar offer for Springer is the right thing to do regardless of how we feel about that. 

• Like 1

Bauer was and is always the clear choice for me. I don’t even particularly like Joc, as he seems the type to come here and hit .175.  It’s just I never thought Springer was a legit option.  I know there were people affiliated with Astros who knew he wanted to go back to east coast.

Well, as the article makes clear, the white sox are not going to sign bauer or Springer because their total contract value. Full stop.

I actually do like Joc, but the takeaway for me and others isn't "haha we thought springer was an option now we learned he isn't" it's that the reason he isn't is because the white sox will not sign a top free agent. And no, Grandal and a 4 for 72 are not much more than a normal signing for most teams.

Can the white sox still have a good free agency? I hope so, but they have to cobble it together from a tier of players they have been absolutely awful at scouting as seen by last years Gio Gonzalez and Edwin Encarnacion (and cishek).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Just like last year...wheeler's wife influenced his decision, If Springer gets near similar offers from the Sox and a team GUARANTEEING him CF, he will take that offer 9/10 times. He already won a WS, he just wants a payday at this point, playing the position he wants to play. I don't fault him for that, and honestly he was always a luxury...SP is where the money should be going

I can't wait to watch Springer patrol right field for a team that isn't the Sox next year.

We'll excuse the actions of this ownership group over and over; oh, "George really likes New York."

Amazing how other teams who go after high end targets and convert are never making those excuses.

I heard Manny Machado did NOT want to go to the West Coast under any circumstance. Weird how that works.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So those 9 figure contract offers to Wheeler and Machado were imaginary ?

Easy to make a promise when you know you're never going to have to deliver on it.

edit; At this point, I wouldn't be shocked to hear the Sox were told they'd have to offer 130 to get Wheeler so they countered to 125 lol.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run