Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

Just now, maloney.adam said:

Actually that’s incorrect. Lynn was discussed and NSC had it from the start. 

Did I say NSC? I don't think so. Let me go and check. Nope, didn't say NSC

Wow they discussed Lynn? You mean two "insiders" said MAYBE a contender will try to trade for a SP from a team who sucks? Now that is some insight!

Just now, fathom said:

I’m honestly not sure if I would rather have had Mazara next year instead of him 

Yeah, Mazara at least still has a little bit of upside left. You know what Eaton's ceiling is and he's probably not that guy anymore. 

I can't speak to his personality and effect on team chemistry. Some of you may have a point there.

But let's also remember he managed to win a World Series in 2019. In that World Series he was second on his team in average, OBP, and OPS (Soto was first).

I don't see Joc Pederson as vastly superior.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

So what formerly decent reliever is coming off of a bad year and/or injuries so I can prepare for his signing as closer to finish out the pen?

You'd gotta go with Wade Davis. He was also good in 2016!

1 minute ago, daggins said:

Gonna be tons of fun in June when we're talking about who the Sox need to get to play RF in 2022 "so we can really make a run at it".

And once again the ones carrying water for the owner will claim that next year we will spend.  We have 40 years of evidence that Jerry is just a cheap owner.  Luckily he isnt immortal.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, shakes said:

I am so not aligned with this board right now. 🤣

I actually like this signing. He's a more well rounded player, and discounted because of last year, particularly when he can be rested a couple of times a week. He's at best their 7th best position player, so doesn't need to be a career outlier performance for him to contribute.

I think the clubhouse stuff may have gotten pointed heavily at him, when that was a real toxic mix. No doubt Eaton is a personality not for everyone but he seemed to get along just fine in Washington. That entire clubhouse mix was a disaster last time. 

Yea, I don’t love it but I don’t hate it. Could end up being great value for 2021 if he returns to 2019 form. He was the #2 hitter on a World Series winner 13 months ago. I don’t care what their 2020 seasons looked like, this is an upgrade from Mazara. 

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Nothing like having no power at all from the bottom 2 spots in the order. Home runs are bad!  Ground outs are good 

Sox have plenty of power in their lineup. I get Madrigal has zip, but let's not act like Eaton is Yolmer Sanchez in the power department.