Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

Bernstein today had a long segment where he brought up a conversation he had with a Sox source. He said all the moves they made/make will only be for one year, and not to expect any multi-year big moves.  Seemed to imply they are considering waiting until the deadline for a closer.  Also said he was told the team would never sign someone to a mega-deal, as they don’t believe it’s worth it (Heyward was the example).  They do have money still to spend, but they’re too nervous about the pandemic to tie it up for more than 2021.

What is there is to be worried about beyond 2021 though?  Next year is the only season that has real risk from a financial standpoint.

I still think they sign Hendriks.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

They’ll wait until more is known about future attendance estimations based on vaccines, he made it seem.

After hearing that I'd be shocked if Hendriks signed here. I think they're going to go with internal options unless Colome falls into their lap on a 1 year deal. 

I wouldn't expect much more from the Sox this winter unless they can get some bargains on 1 year deals. Otherwise, what you see now is what you get. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Not a fan of waiting for the deadline for a closer. I'm sure Bummer would be great but I would hate the Sox giving up a heavy price at the deadline for a closer. They'd be better off trying to resign Colome for the year if they're scared of the Hendriks commitment.

Edited by TheTruth05

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What is there is to be worried about beyond 2021 though?  Next year is the only season that has real risk from a financial standpoint.

He mentioned teams aren’t sure what percentage of fans still won’t want to come to games due to the risk of the virus even after the vaccine.  He then mentioned Sox front office doesn’t trust the fan base to stick with them if they struggle.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

He mentioned teams aren’t sure what percentage of fans still won’t want to come to games due to the risk of the virus even after the vaccine.  He then mentioned Sox front office doesn’t trust the fan base to stick with them if they struggle.

He can trust they won't.  There is no question in my mind.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Also since I know you mention this a lot, he said the Cubs are totally screwed. Their entire business model is focused on gate revenue and the surrounding businesses.

• Like 1

jesus christ.  waiting til the deadline for a closer means giving up prospects when right now you have a guy looking for a job who might be the best closer in the AL and only requires cash.

did I mention how much I fucking hate Jerry Reinsdorf.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Also since I know you mention this a lot, he said the Cubs are totally screwed. Their entire business model is focused on gate revenue and the surrounding businesses.

This has been evident for a while.  They were maxed out last year at full capacity.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

I know Americans/people in general have a hard time seeing into the future which is why its difficult to tackle climate change when it is a dire problem, but things will return back to normal. Large crowd events will not go away. People take inherit risks everyday in life. 7k people die per day, 450 from accidents and etc, and as long as the death rates normalize (which already happened in October and September despite covid) and the media covers it responsibly, there's no reason why life should not return to normal sometime in the next 12 months.

Edit ill add the image so people understand that covid has been bad and will likely add 100k+ excess deaths in 2020, there's no reason to believe that trend will continue into the future.

Screenshot-20201211-124444-Messages.jpg

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1

Just now, fathom said:

The only possible hope for Hendriks is if the source was referring to Bauer or Springer in terms of big splash money and not closer money.

The source may be right, because if we offer Liam 3 and 40 he probably takes it. There is a reason this thing is stalling.

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The source may be right, because if we offer Liam 3 and 40 he probably takes it. There is a reason this thing is stalling.

If the Mets are looking at various options and teams like the Phillies are in flux, Hendriks has no reason to rush his decision. There’s a reason no free agents of substance have picked a team yet.  We got spoiled by two moves in 12 hours.  I feel like the insider accounts for everyone a little too optimistic it would happen soon.

Edited by fathom

7 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

jesus christ.  waiting til the deadline for a closer means giving up prospects when right now you have a guy looking for a job who might be the best closer in the AL and only requires cash.

did I mention how much I fucking hate Jerry Reinsdorf.  

Hahn has implied they aren’t done yet, so they’ll certainly be adding a reliever and a starter before the offseason is over.  And let’s be honest, they purposely leaked that adding Eaton instead of a pricier OF would allow them to do other things and that to me is clear indication that the pursuit of Hendriks is real.  Obviously no guarantee they get him, but I do think he’s the #1 priority.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

After hearing that I'd be shocked if Hendriks signed here. I think they're going to go with internal options unless Colome falls into their lap on a 1 year deal. 

I wouldn't expect much more from the Sox this winter unless they can get some bargains on 1 year deals. Otherwise, what you see now is what you get. 

So do you think that the rumors are lies?  Do you not believe we are negotiating with him?

Just now, fathom said:

If the Mets are looking at various options and teams like the Phillies are in flux, Hendriks has no reason to rush his decision. There’s a reason no free agents of substance have picked a team yet.  We got spoiled by two moves in 12 hours.

Teams aren't spending money and dragging things out to suppress contracts. So if Liam gets 3 and 40 he probably takes it to avoid getting 3 and 27 next month. 

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic