Jump to content
Sleepy Harold

Blake Snell and Yu Darvish traded to San Diego

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Is Lynn married to Tony LaRussa’s wife’s cousin?

Right, wasn't Freddy a close drinking buddy with Ozzie and it was a given he was staying here?

I hope Lynn gets extended, but I think the one example the Sox have of it happening is an outlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sox could have gotten darvish but darvish is 34 and has 3 years and like 60 mil left on his contract, that is some risk.

Still a good get by the padres, also carratini who is a solid backup.

Padres gave up a lot of depth in trades in the last 12 months but except for patino they kept the real top guys like Gore, campusamo and abrams.

The system is thinner now of course but they got a stacked roster now and still some top prospects.

The Sox are in a great position too though and the lynn trade really helped with that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

The Sox could have gotten darvish but darvish is 34 and has 3 years and like 60 mil left on his contract, that is some risk.

Still a good get by the padres, also carratini who is a solid backup.

Padres gave up a lot of depth in trades in the last 12 months but except for patino they kept the real top guys like Gore, campusamo and abrams.

The system is thinner now of course but they got a stacked roster now and still some top prospects.

The Sox are in a great position too though and the lynn trade really helped with that.

 

Yea.  And don’t discount major advancements by many of the Sox prospects this year.  We could be way more loaded than many think, and if that’s the case, I applaud RH for not trading these guys just to satisfy some dark impulsive corner of Sox fans. 
 

What if Burger just mashes this year?  Good Lord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, shakes said:

Right, wasn't Freddy a close drinking buddy with Ozzie and it was a given he was staying here?

I hope Lynn gets extended, but I think the one example the Sox have of it happening is an outlier.

Freddy is married to Ozzie close family friend who they took care of. They referred to her as a niece but she really wasnt blood related.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

The Sox could have gotten darvish but darvish is 34 and has 3 years and like 60 mil left on his contract, that is some risk.

Still a good get by the padres, also carratini who is a solid backup.

Padres gave up a lot of depth in trades in the last 12 months but except for patino they kept the real top guys like Gore, campusamo and abrams.

The system is thinner now of course but they got a stacked roster now and still some top prospects.

The Sox are in a great position too though and the lynn trade really helped with that.

 

 The Padres had to trade some of their depth because between losing an affiliate and talk about MLB limiting teams to one complex team these guys would have no where to play.  Better to get value from them now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Maybe the Padres will now trade us Paddack (dream scenario lol)

The difference between the Sox and Padres is that the middle tier of their farm is vastly superior to ours. Beyond our top 10 it quickly tails off. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would take Dylan Cease in 2021 over Davies, let alone past the fact that Davies will be a free agent after this year.  Sure he had a great 2020, but his career doesn't really show that is who he really is.

Except it wasn't just Davies they traded for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

In what world is one year of Davies worth five years of Dylan Cease?

Not my point. The young LatAm guys were the core of the package and Cubs lacked players of their profile. Sure if Cease were offered (something I advocated for in prior posts), its unclear who the other complementary pieces would be but given the reboot now underway, my guess is the Cubs feel pretty good about this haul (although I'm surprise no pitchers, ie Morejon or salary dumps, i.e Kimbrel). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tony said:

Just to be clear here so I have this right...

You’re not only saying you are making “logical arguments” but also calling me immature, while at the same time crediting the Padres for making trades in real life that you yourself would make in a video game. Is that right? 
 

And for the record, I’ll bring up your temper tantrum as much as I feel like. It’s a message board. You made the decision to tell the world you were done with the White Sox. Fine. But when you come back and want to use the word we like you are some loyal, die-hard fan, Im 100% going to call you out on that. 
 

Deal with it.

Right. Because we're all supposed to be perfect and no one eeeeeever overreacts period, let alone on this board.

You're kinda being a nagging wife here. Being presented an argument and just being like, "Well... REMEMBER THAT TIME YOU DID THAT THING???"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Right. Because we're all supposed to be perfect and no one eeeeeever overreacts period, let alone on this board.

You're kinda being a nagging wife here. Being presented an argument and just being like, "Well... REMEMBER THAT TIME YOU DID THAT THING???"

That wasn't brought up until the poster made a personal insult towards him and his credibility which absolutely opens up that door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Davies was basically a throw-in in lieu of the Cubs taking back some salary and to give the Cubs someone competent in the rotation.  Certainly not a Cubs target.
Davies could probably be had for cheap, although likely more than I'd like the Sox to pay.  And I think the Sox need someone better.

Edited by GreenSox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What numbers are comparable between the two of them?  Darvish is a dominating, plus stuff pitcher who has consistently struck out guys at a high rate.  Meanwhile, Davies is a sinkerballer who throws below 90 MPH and has a career K rate of like 6.5/9.  People are trying to say 2020 was a flukey 12 starts for Yu, but why can’t the same be said for Davies?  Check out his Statcast figures from last year and see who is more likely to regress, especially when you consider Darvish has been awesome since the second half of 2019 when he started throwing his cutter more.

Davies 133 era+
Darvish 128 era+
obviously Darvish is the better pitcher but Davies in 7 years younger and they got four viable prospects as a ell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Davies 133 era+
Darvish 128 era+
obviously Darvish is the better pitcher but Davies in 7 years younger and they got four viable prospects as a ell.

Davies was very good but he also is unlikely to sustain that, projections have Him at a high 4s era.

I Think that is too pessimistic and he is a decent 5 starter but still era+ is not super telling in 60 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dominikk85 said:

Davies was very good but he also is unlikely to sustain that, projections have Him at a high 4s era.

I Think that is too pessimistic and he is a decent 5 starter but still era+ is not super telling in 60 games.

That was since beginning of 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

That wasn't brought up until the poster made a personal insult towards him and his credibility which absolutely opens up that door.

God forbid anyone stays consistent and doesn't undermine their own principle by engaging in the same behavior or act they are shaming.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice piece in the Padres today. Wish the White Sox felt the same sense of urgency during their window of “multiple championships”.

https://www.mlb.com/news/aj-preller-padres-go-all-in

For all of Preller's aggression, his latest moves are anything but a short-term play. Snell and Darvish are under contract through 2023, and Kim is on board through ’24. A bulk of the team's Trade Deadline acquisitions were for players with multiple years of control, too -- including Clevinger.

That's Preller's plan in action. As the Padres ascended to the top of MLB Pipeline's farm system rankings, they knew that some of those Minor League pieces would help them on the field. Paddack, Lamet and Fernando Tatis Jr. already are. Top prospects Gore, CJ Abrams and Luis Campusano will soon join them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

God forbid anyone stays consistent and doesn't undermine their own principle by engaging in the same behavior or act they are shaming.

Which you are now exhibiting with your call out?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Which you are now exhibiting with your call out?

Holding someone to his principles is all.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Holding someone to his principles is all.

Unless it applies to you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

Right. Because we're all supposed to be perfect and no one eeeeeever overreacts period, let alone on this board.

You're kinda being a nagging wife here. Being presented an argument and just being like, "Well... REMEMBER THAT TIME YOU DID THAT THING???"

Lol, remember that one time you argued the point below?

On 12/8/2020 at 5:15 PM, RagahRagah said:

Actually. I'm almost never a dick. 

 

Edited by ron883

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Nice piece in the Padres today. Wish the White Sox felt the same sense of urgency during their window of “multiple championships”.

https://www.mlb.com/news/aj-preller-padres-go-all-in

For all of Preller's aggression, his latest moves are anything but a short-term play. Snell and Darvish are under contract through 2023, and Kim is on board through ’24. A bulk of the team's Trade Deadline acquisitions were for players with multiple years of control, too -- including Clevinger.

That's Preller's plan in action. As the Padres ascended to the top of MLB Pipeline's farm system rankings, they knew that some of those Minor League pieces would help them on the field. Paddack, Lamet and Fernando Tatis Jr. already are. Top prospects Gore, CJ Abrams and Luis Campusano will soon join them.

I think the Padres see their window as the number of years of control they have over Tatis, Jr. I think they can see the writing on the wall that there will be no way for them to re-sign him when be becomes a free agent. Snell and Darvish get them 3 years, which are most of the years they will still have Tatis, Jr. After that, they may try to trade Tatis, Jr. and rebuild. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VAfan said:

I think the Padres see their window as the number of years of control they have over Tatis, Jr. I think they can see the writing on the wall that there will be no way for them to re-sign him when be becomes a free agent. Snell and Darvish get them 3 years, which are most of the years they will still have Tatis, Jr. After that, they may try to trade Tatis, Jr. and rebuild. 

Retool.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven’t read any previous comments, so forgive me if this is redundant. 
 

I’m not involved in scouting anymore, but was for a period of time. I live in the heart of Toronto. I keep in touch with a bunch of scouts and it gives me a sense of one side of the industry. 
 

No team scouts Canada as thoroughly as the padres, and they continue to get trade chips out of it. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×