Jerry Reinsdorf is cheap

Jerry Reinsdorf is a great man, a great businessman and philanthropist.

Like any CEO he delegates duties and responsibilities to others and relies on their judgment when it comes to matters that are within their respective domain.

Some, like  Robin Ventura , Ozzie Guillen, Rick Hahn,  and even Hawk when he was a short-lived GM have failed him at times, but he has given all of them the benefit of the doubt...and despite disagreements, most of them have positive things to say about him after they have left.

If Rick Hahn feels that he has been constrained  unfairly or unseasonably with budgets for player salaries or in any other ways unfairly over the past 9 years, he should voice his objection or just seek an opportunity with another franchise Owner who might give him carte blanche.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, tray said:

Like any CEO he delegates duties and responsibilities to others and relies on their judgment when it comes to matters that are within their respective domain.

Some, like  Robin Ventura , Ozzie Guillen, Rick Hahn,  and even Hawk when he was a short-lived GM have failed him at times, but he has given all of them the benefit of the doubt...and despite disagreements, most of them have positive things to say about him after they have left.

If Rick Hahn feels that he has been constrained  unfairly or unseasonably with budgets for player salaries or in any other ways unfairly over the past 9 years, he should voice his objection or just seek an opportunity with another franchise Owner who might give him carte blanche.

🤣...at least we now know Jerry’s burner account

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Grandal and Hendriks are examples of star-level players the FO has acquired in free agency.  I have voiced the opinion many times that free agency should be used to plug holes rather than shop for stars.  The star level player should be developed from the draft or international signings or trades.  I do understand that in theory, a 30 million 10 year contract can net your team a star who takes the team to the WS.  However, it seldom works out that way and often hamstrings the team beyond all reason.

Those are examples of two of the largest expenditures in franchise history and that’s beyond embarrassing.  But hey, tell me Jerry isn’t cheap when Cease & Lopez are our #3 & #4 starters come June when one of our starters go down.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Did Jerry decide not to sign Jim McCann, or was that Hahn's or Kenny's decision?

Seems to me that McCann could have filled a couple of holes or at least partial holes  that have opened up now at DH and back-up catcher.

Maybe that will work out for the Sox. If so Hahn will be the  executive of the year. If not Jerry was too cheap.

B1tch on.

2 minutes ago, tray said:

Did Jerry decide not to sign Jim McCann, or was that Hahn's or Kenny's decision?

Seems to me that McCann could have filled a couple of holes or at least partial holes  that have opened up now at DH and back-up catcher.

Maybe that will work out for the Sox. If so Hahn will be the  executive of the year. If not Jerry was too cheap.

B1tch on.

You want to spend 40 million on a "meh" DH?  

3 minutes ago, tray said:

B1tch on.

Holy hell people. Can we let this go? He's gone.

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, tray said:

B1tch on.

And he probably would have cost us Hendriks.

Hahn could publicly express dismay at budgetary constraints as  a way to telegraph to fans and to ownership  that he needs a few more players to put the team in position to win.  Instead we constantly hear the drone of supposedly  aggrieved fans who always want more money spent and are never willing to give credit to the owner for what he has done for the Sox and for the city of Chicago.

I'm wondering what is a fair expectation in signing top tier free agents. Let's say each year there are three or four top tier. In ten years that's 30 to 40. So the average team signs one or two a decade.  Sign more than that your exceeding expectations. 

Jerry isn't "cheap".  He spends money, his payrolls are at or slightly above average.  Jerry is a budgeter and we never agree with his budget.   He never signs the largest contract in history, nor is he usually in the deep end of the free agency pool.   He is aggravating as hell in this respect but he isn't cheap 

disagreeing in how the money is spent is what I believe most peoples problem is

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tray said:

Your assessment of JR is spot on IMO.

20 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Jerry isn't "cheap".  He spends money, his payrolls are at or slightly above average.  Jerry is a budgeter and we never agree with his budget.   He never signs the largest contract in history, nor is he usually in the deep end of the free agency pool.   He is aggravating as hell in this respect but he isn't cheap 

I hear what you are saying, but dude is cheap relative to what he has. The Bulls are always atop the league in attendance and are revenue beasts, yet the Bulls don't sign the top guys and will never pay the luxury tax. The White Sox have a two year window of splurging on one year deals before their own get expensive. This market and this year was the time to take a few gambles on guys like Cruz and Q. Load the team up and try to steal a quick title. If Cruz and Q flop you go to your young guys. I appreciate the team these guys have put together, but man it would have been nice to spend a few extra to really take off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I hear what you are saying, but dude is cheap relative to what he has. The Bulls are always atop the league in attendance and are revenue beasts, yet the Bulls don't sign the top guys and will never pay the luxury tax. The White Sox have a two year window of splurging on one year deals before their own get expensive. This market and this year was the time to take a few gambles on guys like Cruz and Q. Load the team up and try to steal a quick title. If Cruz and Q flop you go to your young guys. I appreciate the team these guys have put together, but man it would have been nice to spend a few extra to really take off. 

We have a good team, no doubt. But the entire point of the rebuild and window is to optimize it and make some impact signings and depth pieces to make that push and they aren't doing it, which gives the idea that either they are too stupid to know what they need or that they are PLAYING stupid and I know which one my money is on. Either way... due to this, the prospect of even 1 let alone numerous titles begins to look bleak.

Accepting this is hard but it needs to be understood. Again, there is a difference between pessimism and realism. 

Edited by RagahRagah

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I don't disagree with the overall thought but even those bulls teams he paid some players max contracts, it's just that it was Boozer instead of Lebron.  It's always the lesser option, but still spending money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's a fun fact I never knew.... Jerry has the 17th highest net worth among MLB owners.....and I'd say the majority of of MLB owners don't also have a basketball team as well. 

To play Devils advocate to my own post....The Padres owner is worth the 5th lowest. 

Edited by scs787

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Easily $2-2.5 billion with all that stimulus in the economy...

The Mets sold for $2.475B not including their TV network and Cohen covered their losses of about $200 million. I sort of see the Mets as a larger prototype of the Sox if we were trying to be a legit major market team. If we had a Mark Cuban type owner we could be. Compare the Tigs since Ilitch's son took over. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Here's a fun fact I never knew.... Jerry has the 17th highest net worth among MLB owners. 

I'm assuming that's among the majority owners.  Often forgotten is JR doesn't own 100% of the team. 

52 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm wondering what is a fair expectation in signing top tier free agents. Let's say each year there are three or four top tier. In ten years that's 30 to 40. So the average team signs one or two a decade.  Sign more than that your exceeding expectations. 

How about one nine figure deal in our lifetimes?  Is that really asking much?

47 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

This, and the dishonesty.

Don't blow tens of millions each season during tanking years on garbage players or friends and family of Machado, and tell us your tapped out at the 2011 payroll rate.

Don't jump the gun each free agent season in a contraction/collusion market and acquire garbage like Parrot, Eaton, Mazara.

Don't tell us you are conducting legitimate managerial search and bring in Tony La Russa a decade out of retirement in an orange jump suit because nobody else will hire him.

Don't brag about multi-championship windows when a mid level payroll "taps you out".

Don't have your ticket reps tell your fans they expect a full schedule with fans in the seats, when owners are once again working to lock out players indefinitely, and handing bullshit letters to government hacks in Arizona to spew propganda on your behalf.

Don't leak any news to Bob Fucking Nightengale, grow a pair and face the media and fans.

• Love 1