Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AJ'S Cousin

Lets Not Panic

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, pcq said:

Bad news I have no idea who the Whites are pitching against the Reds tonight. Good news it's raining all day in Boston. If you like DH's get ready I think. 

Cease is cleared of COVID and will pitch tonight. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Cease is cleared of COVID and will pitch tonight. 

Maybe not w the weather

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Maybe not w the weather

I'm just answering the question on who will/would pitch if the game is played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A postponed game tonight means a likely DH Saturday and 6 games in 5 days. Would need to call up Lopez or go with a bullpen game for one of the games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per RotoGrinders atm:

"CHW @ BOS - 

High-res models has Boston in the "dry slot" of the weather system by first pitch. That doesn't exactly mean we'll be fully dry, moreso "less wet, but still damp, cold and breezy". It's certainly ugly weather for baseball, but likely playable if that's the route they want to go. I wouldn't jump to any immediate conclusions yet, I'll update it this afternoon "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Per RotoGrinders atm:

"CHW @ BOS - 

High-res models has Boston in the "dry slot" of the weather system by first pitch. That doesn't exactly mean we'll be fully dry, moreso "less wet, but still damp, cold and breezy". It's certainly ugly weather for baseball, but likely playable if that's the route they want to go. I wouldn't jump to any immediate conclusions yet, I'll update it this afternoon "

Also, keep in mind Fenway has one of the lowest by actual numbers allowed attendance so pushing it back into later in the season when we’re in NY, Balt or possibly TOR wouldn’t be completely unheard of.

Otoh, they’re not going to be any hotter than winning 9/10...perhaps depends on who their DH pitching options are as well.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There’s snow going on now, and it probably won’t get above the low 40s today in Boston. Expect them to play the “inclement weather” card early and there will be a doubleheader this weekend sometime.

Edited by flavum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With everything that has gone wrong so far this year the Sox still have the second highest run differential and runs scored in the AL.  Their numbers are virtually the same as SD in the NL.  Their pyth W-L is 8-5.  Lots of teams playing far worse so far, only LAD and BOS are faring significantly better at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The division leaders are the Mariners, Royals, and Red Sox after two weeks. No big deal. Let’s check back in a month. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After getting TA back yesterday, the lineup looks very strong. Just need to get a few guys going. And the pitching looks very solid.  I'm not that worried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sox are 3rd in MLB in starter ERA. I'd much rather have that as a foundation and bullpen/hitting/defensive issues to address than the opposite.

It may be next week, it may be June, but Vaughn will eventually figure it out. Abreu will heat up. Mercedes will of course cool down but I still think he can put up an OPS over 800 for the full season. Engel will be back and will help.

There should be no panic. There should still be optimism, but concern in a couple areas is also justified. I'm very troubled by Foster and Crochet right now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Sox are 3rd in MLB in starter ERA. I'd much rather have that as a foundation and bullpen/hitting/defensive issues to address than the opposite.

It may be next week, it may be June, but Vaughn will eventually figure it out. Abreu will heat up. Mercedes will of course cool down but I still think he can put up an OPS over 800 for the full season. Engel will be back and will help.

There should be no panic. There should still be optimism, but concern in a couple areas is also justified. I'm very troubled by Foster and Crochet right now.

No doubt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Sox are 3rd in MLB in starter ERA. I'd much rather have that as a foundation and bullpen/hitting/defensive issues to address than the opposite.

It may be next week, it may be June, but Vaughn will eventually figure it out. Abreu will heat up. Mercedes will of course cool down but I still think he can put up an OPS over 800 for the full season. Engel will be back and will help.

There should be no panic. There should still be optimism, but concern in a couple areas is also justified. I'm very troubled by Foster and Crochet right now.

Absolutely.  No doubt Mercedes can have a .800 OPS.  Hopefully we LET Vaughn figure it out.  He can't figure it out on the bench.  Just play him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the combination of the expectation of having a deep playoff run, the blown games, and resetting the mindset to a 162 game season from a 60 game season where every loss felt like blowing a game to a division rival in September that has a lot of people on edge.

There are valid concerns, and I want to wait to judge some bats until they're not trying to hit in 40 degree weather. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Per RotoGrinders atm:

"CHW @ BOS - 

High-res models has Boston in the "dry slot" of the weather system by first pitch. That doesn't exactly mean we'll be fully dry, moreso "less wet, but still damp, cold and breezy". It's certainly ugly weather for baseball, but likely playable if that's the route they want to go. I wouldn't jump to any immediate conclusions yet, I'll update it this afternoon "

the shit weather that was sitting over the PNW for a week has finally made its way to the east coast.  Enjoy it Boston.  It was in Chicago and the Upper Midwest a few days ago, although somehow in N. MI it managed to be pretty nice golf weather when the sun was out.  It's 77 and sunny here in Seattle now, go figure.  What a wonky ass jet stream we get now, thanks AGW.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This team can compete for the division, but playoff success probably isn't happening this year. Half the lineup still has growing to do at the plate, the defense is iffy, and we have no money or much prospect capital. Everything will need to go right and we'd need to be completely healthy to win a series. No room for any type of error. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flavum said:

The division leaders are the Mariners, Royals, and Red Sox after two weeks. No big deal. Let’s check back in a month. 

To be fair, it is true that bad teams tend to start off good and vice versa. If you go by the first few weeks Baltimore has been fantastic so far this century.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

This team can compete for the division, but playoff success probably isn't happening this year. Half the lineup still has growing to do at the plate, the defense is iffy, and we have no money or much prospect capital. Everything will need to go right and we'd need to be completely healthy to win a series. No room for any type of error. 

All that certainty from about 7% of the season played.  Outstanding.

  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

All that certainty from about 7% of the season played.  Outstanding.

Yep. It's unfair to expect young guys to be great after 50 to 70 games played for their careers. It's going to take time to develop and is why I said probably, which does not mean certainty. Madrigal has played in about 40 games and fans are pissed at him because this season has big expectations. We need Vaughn who hasn't played above A ball to be good right away, even though he's played in a handful of games. Because of our season expectations, we can't afford to be patient with him and give him time to develop. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Opinion: Moncada is caught in between being too passive and too aggressive with no middle ground. Also, he's getting killed on offspeed/breaking stuff right now. He's hit one breaking ball (the HR off Keller) hard all year. 

Part of the reason why I believed in his 2019 being relatively repeatable is because he was hitting lasers all over the field. Not happening anymore. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weather...still bad. Some Twitter quotes from Cora that an announcement is coming soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yep. It's unfair to expect young guys to be great after 50 to 70 games played for their careers. It's going to take time to develop and is why I said probably, which does not mean certainty. Madrigal has played in about 40 games and fans are pissed at him because this season has big expectations. We need Vaughn who hasn't played above A ball to be good right away, even though he's played in a handful of games. Because of our season expectations, we can't afford to be patient with him and give him time to develop. 

Thank you very much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need a new thread about how we almost signed Ronald Acuna, Jr.

That guy is in a stratosphere of his own right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

We need a new thread about how we almost signed Ronald Acuna, Jr.

That guy is in a stratosphere of his own right now.

My Show 21 fantasy Sox roster would love that. Tatis, Soto, Acuna? Yes plz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×