White Sox select Colson Montgomery #22 overall

southsider2k5

• Quin pinned this topic

We'll check back in about 4 years and see how this is going. Can't get too excited or mad about a HS pick. Hopefully he develops and we can flip him for immediate needs during our current window, or, he begins kind of the next turn for this team. Either way, welcome aboard. 

does anybody know why he's a year+ older than most HS guys?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Started school late or moved in the middle of a school year probably. Some parents wait a year to start their kid in kindergarten and sometimes when a kid moves mid-year they struggle with the new curriculum and teachers. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

Eager to follow this guy's career

Super raw, super athletic...I assume his ETA is 2024? Also likely the top prospect in front of Kelley, Cespedes, Colas*, and Thompson/Dalquist/Vera

Could this kid have really gone to the NBA?

He'll be 20 in February which isn't ideal, but hopefully pans out

I'm curious what kind of bonus Montgomery will get. The guy is a high ceiling three-sport prep guy who was possibly going to go at #10 until Rocker fell. I have no doubt Montgomery will sign because he and the Sox talked a ton pre draft and I'm sure had a detailed talk about the numbers. I do doubt; however, that he will take any sort of discount. My uneducated guess is between slot and 250k over slot. 

I would say that likely means a college senior with the second round pick as the Sox have the sixth smallest bonus pool, but after the Kelley/Crotchet combo last year, who knows. 

7 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Is this a good draft? His physical specimen profile at short seems like the type that goes in the top 15 usually.

There were a ton of high school SS’s in this draft.

Lack of competition in IN.

Not specialized in baseball…raw athlete, fewer reps.

Didn’t put up overwhelming stats for his high school level.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Eager to follow this guy's career

Super raw, super athletic...I assume his ETA is 2024? Also likely the top prospect in front of Kelley, Cespedes, Colas*, and Thompson/Dalquist/Vera

Could this kid have really gone to the NBA?

He'll be 20 in February which isn't ideal, but hopefully pans out

No, not even Anderson was close to getting any NBA consideration.

“Depends on what he values. As a high upside projectable position player I’d say he should go to college, fill out that frame under a D1 strength and conditioning program. But if a mlb team comes in and offers him 7 figures to sign, we will see. I don’t see him as a top 2 round guy, but if he goes in the top 10 rounds, teams will feel pretty confident they can get him to sign.”

https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/threads/who-is-the-recently-committed-short-stop.194586/

Found this at Hoosier.com where he was an Indiana baseball commit.  This was from 18 months ago, btw.  Lots of opinions out there, some had him going as high as tenth to the Mets.

Edited by caulfield12

I think he is a solid get at 21.

Yeah there are some warts with him (old for hs, mediocre runner, not much physical projection, might not be a middle infielder but has to go to third) but we are talking a late first rounder here and you get a Guy who is legimitalely big already (so lack of projection matters less), who could hit for legit power and even some chance he sticks at short. 

Best case is you get a cal ripken type who is "too big for shortstop" but still can handle it and hit for some serious power. 

There obviously is risk too, he could maybe even grow out of 3rd and be more of a first baseman if he bulks up more and there are questions about the hit tool like with any hs player (in that case there is not much defense to fall back) but in the 20s you are not getting a blue chip guy with no faults and even the chance that you get a SS who can hit 25-30 bombs is a great thing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think he is a solid get at 21.

Yeah there are some warts with him (old for hs, mediocre runner, not much physical projection, might not be a middle infielder but has to go to third) but we are talking a late first rounder here and you get a Guy who is legimitalely big already (so lack of projection matters less), who could hit for legit power and even some chance he sticks at short. 

Best case is you get a cal ripken type who is "too big for shortstop" but still can handle it and hit for some serious power. 

There obviously is risk too, he could maybe even grow out of 3rd and be more of a first baseman if he bulks up more and there are questions about the hit tool like with any hs player (in that case there is not much defense to fall back) but in the 20s you are not getting a blue chip guy with no faults and even the chance that you get a SS who can hit 25-30 bombs is a great thing. 

Then there are the guys like a Ryan Sweeney or Rutherford who never really developed into their projected power…as far as the speed goes, a lot of our guys like Moncada don’t even run that much for fear of injuries.  Surely it will be the same for Luis Robert upon his lineup return as well.  In this era, speed is great, but it’s not as important as the 70’s or 80’s, especially in a park like GRF.

• Like 1

Actually speed is awesome, it basically carried two major league players on our team to mlb careers but I’ve always read Montgomery’s speed as slower than you’d expect, but his overall athleticism gives him fast twitch movements that give you hope for short. If Paul DeJong could do it, etc

10 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

We'll check back in about 4 years and see how this is going. Can't get too excited or mad about a HS pick. Hopefully he develops and we can flip him for immediate needs during our current window, or, he begins kind of the next turn for this team. Either way, welcome aboard. 

38 minutes ago, bmags said:

Actually speed is awesome, it basically carried two major league players on our team to mlb careers but I’ve always read Montgomery’s speed as slower than you’d expect, but his overall athleticism gives him fast twitch movements that give you hope for short. If Paul DeJong could do it, etc

Are you talking about Engel and Hamilton?   Elite, top 3-5% in baseball speed is kind of a different animal.

• bmags unpinned this topic