Omar Vizquel is a sack of s%*#

soxfan49

50 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

This is a very disturbing report.  One of the disturbing things is that supposedly the other coaches laughed about it instead of stopping it and beating the living shit out of the pervert.  The players should have stepped in also if they witnessed it.  They are all sacks of shit for not doing anything.

Bullying culture is just now beginning to be recognized as a priority problem.

The Penn State/ Sandusky, Blackhawks/ Aldrich, OSU/Strauss sexual abuse scandals were disturbing, but here, the victim who has autism makes this even worse.

There has to be a higher standard of conduct  required for organized sports teams  at every level.  What I mean by that is that anyone who even suspects or  has knowledge of abuse should suffer some consequences if they fail to report it.  In the meantime, make an example out of the offenders and those who stood by and said nothing.

I recall Hawk Harrelson praising Omar Vizquel for his playing abilities. Hawk must have been disgusted when he heard about this as I am sure Vizquel's  former teammates like Jim Thome are as well.

I hope the young man gets a good lawyer.

Edited by tray

1 hour ago, tray said:

The Penn State/ Sandusky, Blackhawks/ Aldrich, OSU/Strauss sexual abuse scandals were disturbing, but here, the victim who has autism makes this even worse.

There has to be a higher standard of conduct  required for organized sports teams  at every level.  What I mean by that is that anyone who even suspects or  has knowledge of abuse should suffer some consequences if they fail to report it.  In the meantime, make an example out of the offenders and those who stood by and said nothing.

I recall Hawk Harrelson praising Omar Vizquel for his playing abilities. Hawk must have been disgusted when he heard about this as I am sure Vizquel's  former teammates like Jim Thome are as well.

I hope the young man gets a good lawyer.

Not much of a young man anymore….unless the definition of “youthful” indiscretions has jumped from late 30’s to late 40’s/early 50’s.  That clubhouse “boys will be boys” thing with former athletes bullying in the clubhouse never goes away with many regardless of age.   Surprised it took so long for this story to come out.

Btw, they’re already putting the victim’s name out there on social media.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Not much of a young man anymore….unless the definition of “youthful” indiscretions has jumped from late 30’s to late 40’s/early 50’s. 

Not sure what you mean. I was referring to the age of the victim, now 25 who was a few years younger when the alleged abuse occurred.

I hope he has a good lawyer.

• Like 1

I still remember reading an article on OV years ago, prob in the 90's when he was a really good player....and the article was about players getting lucky on the road.  Really enlightening stuff.  Anyway, I read it and it listed some of the players who were most successful at it, and, yes, Omar led the league, and it wasn't close.  This is something I would never think about commenting until I read this thread, but I never wanted him to be Sox manager, which at one time was a possibility.

We’ve come a long way in a short amount of time. Locker room conduct is finally being held to the same standard as other places of employment. Not that long ago fans defended Ozzie bringing in an inflatable woman for the players to stick their bats into as a slump buster. Initiations and other traditions are now classified as illegal bullying and hazing. And somehow players have managed to keep playing the game at a high level.

I’m confident the generation of players coming up have been raised in a much different environment and this sort of thing wouldn’t be ignored or laughed at by coaches and players.

6 hours ago, Texsox said:

We’ve come a long way in a short amount of time. Locker room conduct is finally being held to the same standard as other places of employment. Not that long ago fans defended Ozzie bringing in an inflatable woman for the players to stick their bats into as a slump buster. Initiations and other traditions are now classified as illegal bullying and hazing. And somehow players have managed to keep playing the game at a high level.

I’m confident the generation of players coming up have been raised in a much different environment and this sort of thing wouldn’t be ignored or laughed at by coaches and players.

Yep, it has really taken a bite out of fraternities/Greek life as well…and then there’s the military, see A Few Good Men.  

Lots of dramatic changes in such a short period of time compared to how long those “secret society” traditions had persisted over time.

Edited by caulfield12

40 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yep, it has really taken a bite out of fraternities/Greek life as well…and then there’s the military, see A Few Good Men.  

Lots of dramatic changes in such a short period of time compared to how long those “secret society” traditions had persisted over time.

I'll admit as a coach I sat in a training and listened to bullying characteristics of teasing, etc and thought damn, my family does that to each other all the time.  Then I thought about my locker room and how one player was always being joked about and thought come on,  that isn't bullying, they're like brothers. 

Eventually we understood the standard is the same regardless of location. 

54 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'll admit as a coach I sat in a training and listened to bullying characteristics of teasing, etc and thought damn, my family does that to each other all the time.  Then I thought about my locker room and how one player was always being joked about and thought come on,  that isn't bullying, they're like brothers. 

Eventually we understood the standard is the same regardless of location. 

Glad to see players, especially young players, are being more accepted, and good coaching practices and training are incorporated / brought in to youth leagues, perhaps kicking and screaming.

I’ve witnessed poor behavior by an opposing travel team coach (from Oklahoma) in one of my nephew’s hockey teams this May. He was ejected and banned for the next game. Brought the worst out in his players as well, they had to cancel the game due to fights and choppy play (middle school age). Needs to get here ASAP.

Glad to see the board condemning the Vizquel behavior, come a long way just to get to this point in society.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tray said:

Parental misbehavior at their kid's games is an entirely different issue ( than sexual abuse) and I am afraid it is not going away any time soon.

Anyone here try to umpire a Little League game? You know.

When I was in HS and had time, I would umpire 8-12 year old girl's softball games. It was unreal. They gave you a mat you placed right behind home plate for balls and strikes. If the ball had an arc on it and landed on the mat, it was a strike,. It was old school automation :They really didn't need a home plate umpire. At any rate, I rung up a girl to end the game once when the ball hit dead center on the mat. It was center cut.  She wound up throwing a mitt at me as I was going to my bike to go home, and her father wanted to kick my ass. He was banned from ever attending another game.

Edited by Dick Allen

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

When I was in HS and had time, I would umpire 8-12 year old girl's softball games. It was unreal. They gave you a mat you placed right behind home plate for balls and strikes. If the ball had an arc on it and landed on the mat, it was a strike,. It was old school automation :They really didn't need a home plate umpire. At any rate, I rung up a girl to end the game once when the ball hit dead center on the mat. It was center cut.  She wound up throwing a mitt at me as I was going to my bike to go home, and her father wanted to kick my ass. He was banned from ever attending another game.

Not surprised. 

7 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I hope that girl was sobbing and couldn’t sleep that night because of how upset she was. Swing the bat. 

16 hours ago, tray said:

Parental misbehavior at their kid's games is an entirely different issue ( than sexual abuse) and I am afraid it is not going away any time soon.

Anyone here try to umpire a Little League game? You know.

When I was 7 playing hockey at a state tournament game in Orland Park, a dad on the other team threw a garbage can on the ice and was arrested. It almost hit a kid on our team. (Crazy enough, that kid now plays for the Reds — Mark Payton.)