Should we trade for Machado

bmags

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No where in the article does it say the Padres have any desire to move Machado and the entire excerpt was the author speculating on a path the Padres could consider taking if they chose not to continue pushing all in, despite ownership and Preller not showing any indication of wanting to do so. The author also goes on to state that being forced to move someone like Machado, if a reset was wanted, would likely be needed because they can't unload Meyers/Hosmer for anything of value.

So outside the Padres being a massive failure for ignoring roster building (as the article implies) I'm not sure why it's hilarious or anything, given that it's not even something that is being speculated or implied as expected to occur.

obviously that's hilarious? 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If you wouldn't do Crochet for Manny straight up as a Sox fan you're on crazy pills. I like Crochet quite a bit, but he's 50/50 at best to ever pitch more than 100 innings in a season.  Kopech is a totally different animal he has potential to be a top 10 starter in baseball starting next year.

If you didn't want him enough to outbid the Padres when he cost only money...why want him now when he cost money and players?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Because he would cost less money now.

I think there's a fairly decent argument to be made for a trade and that is part of it.

1) looking at only a 7 year commitment not 10

2) He's proven he's still a very good player which was sorta in doubt at the time he signed the deal

3) There isn't much else to spend the money on in the next half decade unless you think the Sox will make a huge splash for Semien or similar

4) You'd probably get the Padres to pickup 30 million or so if you wanted to send them back a live body.

I wouldn't trade for him most likely but there's more of an argument now that the club is good then there was a few years ago with all the uncertainty about internal development and the window to compete.

I knew they'd never finish paying Machado just as I knew they'd never finish paying Hosmer, and probably not Myers either.  This is par for the course for the Padres.

Genius level all around for Preller.  Wonder how much money he'd have to eat to get Patino back in return and that's just one guy they dumped off.

I've personally done a lot of internal wondering about whether the Pads in the offseason would be interested in something involving Giolito for Clevinger, Abrams and a SP prospect, if Lucas won't talk seriously about an extension with us.  I'd pick the carcass if possible.  They'll always be cheapasses who never pay anybody through to the end of a long-term deal.  They'll never have the balls to truly compete in that division.

BTW even though I hate the Dodgers passionately, does anyone think LAD would burn their farm to the ground the way SD has?  I would be shocked if LAD made half of the moves SD has, were they in the same position to do so.  Eventually Preller will get fired and he'll have to take a special assistant's job and share 1/3 of a #4 seat with a couple other has-beens because no one trusts him enough to give him the keys to the franchise.  JMO.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Because he would cost less money now.

He's also older, and the payroll space around him is more full.  Look at the Cubs as a close example of what happens when your payroll space is too full and you need to add players.  We really need to carry a certain amount of flexibility on a year-to-year basis to absorb all the inevitable unforseeables which will occur.

22 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

He's also older, and the payroll space around him is more full.  Look at the Cubs as a close example of what happens when your payroll space is too full and you need to add players.  We really need to carry a certain amount of flexibility on a year-to-year basis to absorb all the inevitable unforseeables which will occur.

They won a title? Ok. I am ok with doing that to win a title. And would encourage it. You've convinced me.

24 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I knew they'd never finish paying Machado just as I knew they'd never finish paying Hosmer, and probably not Myers either.  This is par for the course for the Padres.

Genius level all around for Preller.  Wonder how much money he'd have to eat to get Patino back in return and that's just one guy they dumped off.

I've personally done a lot of internal wondering about whether the Pads in the offseason would be interested in something involving Giolito for Clevinger, Abrams and a SP prospect, if Lucas won't talk seriously about an extension with us.  I'd pick the carcass if possible.  They'll always be cheapasses who never pay anybody through to the end of a long-term deal.  They'll never have the balls to truly compete in that division.

BTW even though I hate the Dodgers passionately, does anyone think LAD would burn their farm to the ground the way SD has?  I would be shocked if LAD made half of the moves SD has, were they in the same position to do so.  Eventually Preller will get fired and he'll have to take a special assistant's job and share 1/3 of a #4 seat with a couple other has-beens because no one trusts him enough to give him the keys to the franchise.  JMO.

They still haven’t traded their Top 5…Gore disappointed and Abrams is hurt.

If Clevinger comes back healthy and they can fix Lamet or Morejon (or Gore), they might be okay.

The biggest argument is that standing pat with Patino, Quantrill and Ty France instead of trading Myers or Hosmer would have led to better overall results this year and into the future.  On the other side of the ledger, the Musgrove move was one of the better trades, actually.  But way way too much tinkering.

Secondarily, they have to decide what to do with Pham (likely gone), if Grisham can play everyday and why they traded for Frazier instead of starting pitching at the deadline.

With that roster/payroll, trading Machado and moving Tatis to 3b and giving Abrams SS makes the most sense for the clubhouse, positionally, and financial flexibility.

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Bruce Bochy is a prime a candidate to restore order next season. Wish the Sox would have signed Bruce or Hinch last year.

https://www.eastvillagetimes.com/padres-are-discussing-bruce-bochy-as-an-option/

I would be absolutely floored if Bochy went to work under Preller.

• Like 2

Machado is a bazillion dollar prima dona that has zero experience playing in a winning organization. He's the kind of guy that will rack up >his< numbers with little to no regard re: the success of his team. To improve the team for next year, the Sox need pretty much anybody but a Machado type.  You can get two significant assets for the cost of this guy.
IMO - not even worth considering - a non-starter.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

That would be amazing. Don’t see it happening tho. 

They had to have some plan for 2B when trading Madrigal.  I just can’t imagine it was all-in on Hernandez.  And Semien seems like the caliber of free agent that is attainable for this franchise and with so many middle infielders hitting free agency this offseason there is bound to be one or two that comes at some level of discount.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

They had to have some plan for 2B when trading Madrigal.  I just can’t imagine it was all-in on Hernandez.  And Semien seems like the caliber of free agent that is attainable for this franchise and with so many middle infielders hitting free agency this offseason there is bound to be one or two that comes at some level of discount.

I think Hernandez was the plan, tbh. But Semien would be great and I’d be thrilled. Just hope to see Sox non tender Hernandez and commit to seeking something better.