MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Could be worse. You could be a Dodgers fan and lose Scherzer, about to lose Seager, and haven't found their replacements with only 4 months to go before the season starts.

you can't be comparing the front offices and expenditures of the dodgers to the white sox, you're too smart for that. You're also too smart to ignore the impending lockout with no clue how long it will last. Come on now

• Like 1

Rick Hahn:

"Good luck topping that offer!"

*Player easily tops offer and signs elsewhere*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, fathom said:

I think SS2K is dead on....Jerry doesn’t want to sign anyone until after CBA is created

ah, are we back in the thing where we need to handicap the franchise to show the other owners what good little boys we are so we get them onboard to put tighter screws on the MLBPA??

Love it. Great strategy. That's why you become an owner.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Boob strikes again. Says we're interested in both Semien and Ray and the sign with someone else. 

To be fair, he said we were interested in a pitcher like Ray and 2B like Semien, which of course has as much meaning as saying nothing at all.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

ah, are we back in the thing where we need to handicap the franchise to show the other owners what good little boys we are so we get them onboard to put tighter screws on the MLBPA??

Why would Jerry change now?  He’s always been an egomaniac 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

you can't be comparing the front offices and expenditures of the dodgers to the white sox, you're too smart for that. You're also too smart to ignore the impending lockout with no clue how long it will last. Come on now

It will end eventually and plenty will be out there. Maybe they thought they had a shot at Max, but only an idiot would give him $130 million for 3 years. I wouldn't give Semien 7 years. The fact is, if they want the top of the market, they are going to have to overpay by a lot. JR isn't down with that. They will still get some good players, and winning the offseason hasn't meant much recently.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Remember the great work this owner put in during the last work stoppage.  The only ones that benefited from JR's actions back then was the Indians.  

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It will end eventually and plenty will be out there. Maybe they thought they had a shot at Max, but only an idiot would give him $130 million for 3 years. I wouldn't give Semien 7 years. The fact is, if they want the top of the market, they are going to have to overpay by a lot. JR isn't down with that. They will still get some good players, and winning the offseason hasn't meant much recently.

Would you have signed Semien for 5/$150?

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think SS2K is dead on....Jerry doesn’t want to sign anyone until after CBA is created

Conforto hasn't signed elsewhere. I don't know of one name signed that was a realistic target of the Sox. I wouldn't get pissed until they miss out on him and/or get stuck with Kimbrel. And I'm not defending the organization, just don't think they've lost out on anything they've coveted yet.

• Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Just now, Pal said:

Conforto hasn't signed elsewhere. I don't know of one name signed that was a realistic target of the Sox. I wouldn't get pissed until they miss out on him and/or get stuck with Kimbrel. And I'm not defending the organization, just don't think they've lost out on anything they've coveted yet.

Ray and Gausman were realistic. 

• Like 2