Andrew Vaughn hurts hip pointer, out 1-2 weeks per White Sox

Buehrle>Wood

19 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

The cart kind of contradicts my theories, but the way he landed on some hard turf just makes me think hip pointer / femoral trochanter bursa pain.  Enough to shake him up but not a longer term injury.  He got up under his own power so I rule out hip fracture or dislocation.  Even a tear seems less likely to me.  I’m a total layman though and could totally be wrong. 

Well this would be good news…hopefully your theories are correct

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Well this would be good news…hopefully your theories are correct

Just scrolling google last night regarding hip dislocations and it seems unlikely to me.  He got up on his own, and if the femur had popped out of the hip socket I think it’s highly unlikely he gets up under his own power or puts any weight on that leg.  Different injuries but neither Robert or Madrigal were walking on their own after their respective tears.  The cart coming out of course worries me because I’m just guessing using some logic and there is plenty of room for me to be wrong here.  I’m trying to be optimistic but their vague statement leaves plenty of room for worry with this team’s injury luck. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

If Vaughn is only out for a few weeks, could this end up being a blessing in disguise?  Send him to AAA once he is healthy and get a year of control back?

60 day IL he accrues service time.  Even sitting a few weeks would need a lengthier AAA stint to recoup a the extra year.  Unless they find a regular alternative in RF they still need a body for the OF, so AAA for anything longer than a rehab stint seems unlikely to me. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

If Vaughn is only out for a few weeks, could this end up being a blessing in disguise?  Send him to AAA once he is healthy and get a year of control back?

Unlikely.  He's going to be on MLB IL, and then an milb rehab assignment.  And no point will the Sox option him while he's hurt.  I'd say if anything this removes any chance of service time gaming (assuming he's at least going to hit the IL for some amount of time). Sox were never going to do that anyway.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 3

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Unlikely.  He's going to be on MLB IL, and then an milb rehab assignment.  And no point will the Sox option him while he's hurt.  I'd say if anything this removes any chance of service time gaming (assuming he's at least going to hit the IL for some amount of time). Sox were never going to do that anyway.  

Yeah, that's what I figured. I just wasn't sure if there was a scenario where a rehab stint turns into an option.

And while the extra year would be great, I'm not a fan of manipulating the system to make it happen. I tend to lean more toward Ray Ray's point of view on that topic.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So assuming Vaughn is out, what do you guys expect the Opening Day lineup to be?

Here’s my guess:

1. Legend, RF#
  2. Robert, CF
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Grandal, C#
  5. Jimenez, RF
  6. Moncada, 3B#
  7. Big Energy, 2B
  8. Adolfo, DH
  9. Mendick, SS

What happened to Anderson?   Adolfo on OD, regardless of handedness?   Mendick even on the roster?  Wouldn’t they take Romy?

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

What happened to Anderson?   Adolfo on OD, regardless of handedness?   Mendick even on the roster?  Wouldn’t they take Romy?

TA has to serve a one game suspension. And this was operating under assumption Vaughn is on IL to start the year.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So assuming Vaughn is out, what do you guys expect the Opening Day lineup to be?

Here’s my guess:

1. Legend, RF#
  2. Robert, CF
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Grandal, C#
  5. Jimenez, RF
  6. Moncada, 3B#
  7. Big Energy, 2B
  8. Adolfo, DH
  9. Mendick, SS

Man this lineup is not all that good. I know TA isn’t here but I really wish they would’ve upgraded 2B or RF.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

TA has to serve a one game suspension. And this was operating under assumption Vaughn is on IL to start the year.

Is it just one game? I thought I heard it was 3 but I could be wrong on that. I hope it's just one...was planning on going to the 2nd game in Detroit.

I hate to think this way but the longer there is no word the more likely to me that this is a major injury or that it is nothing and he is day to day. 

Not reporting and trying to fill the spot externally is what I am looking at and hopefully it is just an ASB thing in that case.

Day to day is obviously best case and that is why he and Burger just have "discomfort". 

Edited by Harry Chappas

I remember there were some rumblings amongst reputable outlets that Robert’s injury was bad, but that wasn’t spring training.  I don’t really have a feel for when the Sox would put out another statement or by what hour their continued silence points towards a more lengthy injury.  

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I remember there were some rumblings amongst reputable outlets that Robert’s injury was bad, but that wasn’t spring training.  I don’t really have a feel for when the Sox would put out another statement or by what hour their continued silence points towards a more lengthy injury.  

The medical evaluation alone might take a day or three.

3 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I don't know about that.  Yes Cespedes is raw and may need some time to develop into a complete player, but hell we don't have time.  If he can play defense and throw out runners like he has shown this spring that's all we need from him. 

You don't want to start burning through his options though especially if he isn't ready to hit. They could keep Adolfo who is not a CF but he can play RF very competently and his arm is just as good as Cespedes. They both would K a bunch but if the Sox dont 26/28 man roster Adolfo he's gone . He's out of options.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

Just scrolling google last night regarding hip dislocations and it seems unlikely to me.  He got up on his own, and if the femur had popped out of the hip socket I think it’s highly unlikely he gets up under his own power or puts any weight on that leg.  Different injuries but neither Robert or Madrigal were walking on their own after their respective tears.  The cart coming out of course worries me because I’m just guessing using some logic and there is plenty of room for me to be wrong here.  I’m trying to be optimistic but their vague statement leaves plenty of room for worry with this team’s injury luck. 

Since it’s a leg injury, they probably wouldn’t want to make him walk. He left on the cart through the RF bullpen area. More than likely, the medical facility is a little bit away from the stadium in an adjacent building where the clubhouse is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Since it’s a leg injury, they probably wouldn’t want to make him walk. He left on the cart through the RF bullpen area. More than likely, the medical facility is a little bit away from the stadium in an adjacent building where the clubhouse is.

Yeah, the crazy thing after all this speculation is that it could be all just a precaution, where he's just sore and then completely fine in a day or two.

• Like 1

• Quin locked this topic