4/27 Games

DirtySox

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I enjoy seeing their take on things, but I generally view Fangraphs as being the least knowledgeable out of the major publications.

I don't know if I'd say least knowledgable, but they definitely are very bullish on some players. Sometimes it's good to see a different opinion.

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I don't know if I'd say least knowledgable, but they definitely are very bullish on some players. Sometimes it's good to see a different opinion.

I feel like their reports on some guys are very outdated and that completely miss on certain prospects.  Just feels like Future Sox, Baseball America, & Callis / Pipeline have better real-time info.

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I feel like their reports on some guys are very outdated and that completely miss on certain prospects.  Just feels like Future Sox, Baseball America, & Callis / Pipeline have better real-time info.

I could see that. I've always felt that out of that group, Callis/Pipeline tend to be a little too generous at times when grading guys. Love all the work they put out though.

39 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Disagree with you here, as it seems like Eric L. at Fangraphs has a more current viewing of these guys than most.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bmags said:

Would love to know what I’m missing with this guy

Has been in the org for many years, calling card was always his defense.

Has always shown good plate discipline without much else but last couple years the bat has come alive. He has become a legit prospect and has potential to be a starting catcher. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fathom said:

Disagree with you here, as it seems like Eric L. at Fangraphs has a more current viewing of these guys than most.

I’m speaking more historically than this particular list, which I’ve only skimmed so far.  But in this case, they are publishing their list unusually late so I’d hope it be more current than BA & Pipeline.

10 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I'm irritated that FG has him at a 45. 

Dude is a savage at the plate and has a big arm in RF. 

Well, currently he has a big arm in CF, and according to people talking to James, has looked legit there (James, if I'm misquoting you, let me know).

So, even more puzzling.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

Well, currently he has a big arm in CF, and according to people talking to James, has looked legit there (James, if I'm misquoting you, let me know).

So, even more puzzling.

When does he go to Birmingham? My guess is next week some time.

10 hours ago, fathom said:

BA gets way more views on any of our carolina rosters, so I doubt that. He's also definitely the 2nd worst evaluator, just ahead of callis/mlb pipeline. I've actually come around to BP despite some eccentricities.

That said, I also could care less about arm strength for Outfield. I know it's a factor but push comes to shove, nobody gives a shit about it. Any team would throw a 1 armed outfielder out there if he could cover all the ground and hit like a maniac and get the ball in reasonably to the cut off man.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bighurt4life said:

Has been in the org for many years, calling card was always his defense.

Has always shown good plate discipline without much else but last couple years the bat has come alive. He has become a legit prospect and has potential to be a starting catcher. 

Sorry, I know him well. I don't get why it seems like players like Seby are still above him despite appearing much more flawed.

The one thing I will say about FG is they are the one group I am positive isn't largely copying their work from other groups.  Their lists are always unique and unexpected.  They see things in people that no one else sees.  Sometimes it happens, others it doesn't, which goes with the territory.