Trade Talk With Rick Hahn/Merkin

caulfield12

13 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I noticed this too looking at the schedule. From that first Red Sox to like mid-June was probably our toughest stretch of the season. After that, it's mostly ALC teams the rest of the way.

The first 61 games after the All-Star break, 51 of them are against teams below .500. 3 vs. Minnesota, 4 vs. Houston, 3 vs. Arizona. Granted a lot of things could change in 2 months, but the Sox have to take advantage of that schedule. 40-21 I feel is gonna be what they have to go, which will be tough.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m going to be pissed if they trade Eloy before trying him with a brand new hitting coach.  As each day passes, I’m more convinced Menechino is a horrible fit for this team.

I wonder what Walt Hriniak is up to now a days. Bring him back. 

7 minutes ago, WilliamTell said:

The first 61 games after the All-Star break, 51 of them are against teams below .500. 3 vs. Minnesota, 4 vs. Houston, 3 vs. Arizona. Granted a lot of things could change in 2 months, but the Sox have to take advantage of that schedule. 40-21 I feel is gonna be what they have to go, which will be tough.

Get healthy and go to war. Still plenty of time to right this season.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Get healthy and go to war. Still plenty of time to right this season.

Even if there isn’t, the whole idea of “re-tooling” or “rebuilding” is dumb. So the same guys just get another 5-6 years at this thing? Why will it be any different. 

There is talent on this roster and the ALC is awful. This team is incredibly flawed and I have huge issues with the organization, but they aren’t going to have a better opportunity to win these next two years over the next decade, IMO. 

They went all-in with this roster, they need to see it though.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Even if there isn’t, the whole idea of “re-tooling” or “rebuilding” is dumb. So the same guys just get another 5-6 years at this thing? Why will it be any different. 

There is talent on this roster and the ALC is awful. This team is incredibly flawed and I have huge issues with the organization, but they aren’t going to have a better opportunity to win these next two years over the next decade, IMO. 

This kind of how I feel in general.  There IS talent.  This group is NOT getting results with it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony said:

All they've been doing is putting band aids on bullet wounds. 

They need to rip the band aid off and start over. The ceiling for this team is getting curb stomped in the ALDS. 

That's not good enough. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They need to rip the band aid off and start over. The ceiling for this team is getting curb stomped in the ALDS. 

That's not good enough. 

It is clear that the Sox have the most talent in the division.  There is a gap between them and the top teams in the AL, but nothing that can't be overcome in a playoff series.

There is also no question that the Sox have no played anywhere near their talent level this season.

24 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's not good enough. 

I ask again, why would we believe they would get it right by “starting over?”

Well, I was around in 97 during the white flag trade, at that time I think we were only 3 or 4 games out of first with two months of baseball to go. We traded big time. You never know with a Reinsdorf team.  Still JR is 80 now and doesnt have time for another complete rebuild , but maybe something like the twins did this offseason is more like it. That said, Keuchel will be off the books next year no way they keep him and they will make sure he doesn't hit 170 innings. Abreu will most likely go year to year like Nelson Cruz did and they will cut his pay and sign him for like 13 million for one year. VV will be gone, Pollock might stay for 5 million ( i think thats his number) or he will be gone too, Eloy might be traded but who knows, but I dont think they go another year without a 2nd baseman or Right fielder. Could care less about Sheets Burger and any other AAA player, they all suck. Upping payroll might help, I mean one more big splash before JR hits the nursing home and the team goes up for sale is what I am hoping for. Be kind of cool to see him just open the check book and have fun for a year or two before throwing it up for sale. 

2 hours ago, fathom said:

I’m going to be pissed if they trade Eloy before trying him with a brand new hitting coach.  As each day passes, I’m more convinced Menechino is a horrible fit for this team.

I usually don't blame coaches. Even without a coach some of these guys should know that it's ok to experiment with a different stance,stride, bat plane or whatever. However, that being said , if Menechino is preaching contact and going oppo over everything else that's only going to work with guys like Vaughn, Tim , Robert and Abreu each of whom can also pull for power.

Eloy is way too much oppo and CF who hasn't shown much proclivity to pull the ball for power unless you count barely left of center. I don't think he is very good at pulling his arms in to pull when necessary. He always wants to extend his arms and is way too vulnerable on inside pitches.

23 minutes ago, Tony said:

I ask again, why would we believe they would get it right by “starting over?”

Because Hahn and Kenny have a job until Jerry kicks the bucket so we have to work with what we have. They probably won't, but it's better than the alternative. I am and always have been of the opinion that both should have been fired in 2016. 

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Because Hahn and Kenny have a job until Jerry kicks the bucket so we have to work with what we have. They probably won't, but it's better than the alternative. I am and always have been of the opinion that both should have been fired in 2016. 

Definitely sooner than that but definitely before a rebuild.

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Definitely sooner than that but definitely before a rebuild.

Nah, I typically give a GM 5-6 years. Hahn took over in 2012. 

He failed badly enough that he should have been fired in 2016. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

KW should have been long gone. Not promoted.

Agreed, but Kenny is Jerry's adopted son, haven't you heard? 

Kenny was going to go to Stanford but he went to his folks and convinced him to sign out of HS. Jerry told Kenny's parents that he'd take care of him, and he has. 

It's admirable that Jerry did that, but Kenny should be staying out of baseball operations at this point. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

It is much easier to find better coaching fits, or anyone who isn't awful, but we know that isn't happening.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a roster reshape this winter, sadly led by the same antiquated philosophies holding this current squad back.

2 hours ago, quickman said:

Well, I was around in 97 during the white flag trade, at that time I think we were only 3 or 4 games out of first with two months of baseball to go. We traded big time. You never know with a Reinsdorf team.  Still JR is 80 now and doesnt have time for another complete rebuild , but maybe something like the twins did this offseason is more like it. That said, Keuchel will be off the books next year no way they keep him and they will make sure he doesn't hit 170 innings. Abreu will most likely go year to year like Nelson Cruz did and they will cut his pay and sign him for like 13 million for one year. VV will be gone, Pollock might stay for 5 million ( i think thats his number) or he will be gone too, Eloy might be traded but who knows, but I dont think they go another year without a 2nd baseman or Right fielder. Could care less about Sheets Burger and any other AAA player, they all suck. Upping payroll might help, I mean one more big splash before JR hits the nursing home and the team goes up for sale is what I am hoping for. Be kind of cool to see him just open the check book and have fun for a year or two before throwing it up for sale. 

Pollock if he's an everyday player and not benched might end up closer to $8 or $9 million with plate appearances bonuses.  Depends if they hit him higher or lower in the order with this offense, of course.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Agreed, but Kenny is Jerry's adopted son, haven't you heard? 

Kenny was going to go to Stanford but he went to his folks and convinced him to sign out of HS. Jerry told Kenny's parents that he'd take care of him, and he has. 

It's admirable that Jerry did that, but Kenny should be staying out of baseball operations at this point. 

But he and Paddy were the ones responsible for Abreu Robert and Tatis, Jr., moreso than anyone. Marcus Semien as well.