Keppinger DFA'd

Chisoxfn

Could this be a precursor to a big trade?

Is there any advantage to DFAing a s***ty player like this, letting him get claimed, and THEN completing a discussed trade with the claim team, instead of just straight up trading with said team? Like somebody mentioned, no team is gonna claim this guy in the real world. But in conniving Front Office world, is there any reason to plan a DFA-claim-trade instead of throwing him in like Teahen. Just seems like the risk of the trade team backing out would be too great to approach it this way.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 14, 2014 -> 12:23 PM)

Is there any advantage to DFAing a s***ty player like this, letting him get claimed, and THEN completing a discussed trade with the claim team, instead of just straight up trading with said team? Like somebody mentioned, no team is gonna claim this guy in the real world. But in conniving Front Office world, is there any reason to plan a DFA-claim-trade instead of throwing him in like Teahen. Just seems like the risk of the trade team backing out would be too great to approach it this way.

no.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 14, 2014 -> 12:23 PM)

Big trade like what? Anything they are doing right now is for the future and player development. We arent "going for it" this year.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 14, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)

There is a reality you're missing. It is 99.99% certain that Jeff Keppinger will NOT be claimed by any other team. He will pass through all of the other MLB teams unclaimed, at which point he will be given the choice between assignment to one of the White Sox minor league teams (unlikely) or becoming a free agent.

When he signs then with another franchise as a free agent, they will sign him for only the minimum salary, leaving the White Sox on the hook for the entirety of his remaining $8.5 million contract.

If another team actually claimed him, that team would be assuming his entire $8.5 million contract, which no team is going to do.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2014 -> 12:29 PM)
DFA doesn't mean placed on waivers. Although he could have been.

Could have sworn if a player is DFA, they have to pass through waivers unless they have options

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 14, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
Could have sworn if a player is DFA, they have to pass through waivers unless they have options

Not necessarily. It's possible Hahn has tried to trade him and sees no possibility so they may have put him on release waivers today, but technically DFA gets them off the roster and buys a team time (10 days) to do something with him, like a trade.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)
Not necessarily. It's possible Hahn has tried to trade him and sees no possibility so they may have put him on release waivers today, but technically DFA gets them off the roster and buys a team time (10 days) to do something with him, like a trade.

[buzz]

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 1h

#WhiteSox have 10 days to work out a trade for Jeff Keppinger or put him on waivers. He is out of minor league options.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 14, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
Other candidates to be DFA'd by the end of the season

Scott Carroll

Frank Fransisco

Alejandro De Aza (I think this will spook him)

Moises Sierra

Felipe Paulino

Jordan Danks

Nester Molina

Jared Mitchell

Eric Surkamp

Huh?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2014 -> 12:44 PM)
[buzz]

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 1h

#WhiteSox have 10 days to work out a trade for Jeff Keppinger or put him on waivers. He is out of minor league options.

You got to think some team would be willing to take on Keppinger for $500k/season. Ask for nothing in return and hope you can recoup $1M of his remaining salary. I'd consider that a win at this point.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 14, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)
You got to think some team would be willing to take on Keppinger for $500k/season. Ask for nothing in return and hope you can recoup $1M of his remaining salary. I'd consider that a win at this point.

I wouldn't do that if I were the GM of any team in the big leagues. I'd consider signing Kepp after clearing waivers but only to a minor league deal so that I can send him to AAA and see if he can get at least a few hits. He's only hitting .256 with Birmingham, .707 OPS, in double-A ball right now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 14, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
And there it is, where was my post before the season started about him never playing a game with the Sox?

Good call. I wish I'd seen it so I could have relaxed. Not a Kepp fan.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 14, 2014 -> 04:26 PM)
There has to be more to this story, for JR to eat rest of contract Jeff had to rub somebody the wrong way.

White Sox activated INF Jeff Keppinger from the 15-day disabled list; designated him for assignment.

Keppinger is making $4 million this season and is set to make $4.5 million in 2015, so the White Sox are eating a lot of money with this move. The veteran infielder has dealt with shoulder issues since the beginning of last season and the Pale Hose might be convinced that he was never going to be healthy enough again to contribute. They now have an open spot on their 40-man roster.

Per Rotoworld

He rubbed fans the wrong way with his performance.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2014 -> 04:56 PM)
It was nice enough of him to tweet that. I don't understand why people have to rip on him in response. The internet gives a lot of people a lot of courage.

Exactly. It was a classy tweet. The anonymous Internet is a joke. Take a look at the comments on human interest stories on Yahoo. They are disgusting.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 14, 2014 -> 06:05 PM)

Acquiring him was a panic move, trying to acquire an alleged good on-base guy. The move failed so Jerry's pocketbook takes a slight hit re. Kepp. I doubt he DFA's anybody else making a decent buck. This one was needed cause there was no reason to have Kepp on the team if he wasn't starting and it would have been buzzkill to start him. I guess he could have replaced Beckham who is hitting .240 with six RBI in 75 at bats.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 14, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 17m

Hahn on Keppinger decision: "We are focusing on the future as opposed to trying to justify a decision from the past."

This is the best quote.

And best of luck to Kepp. It didn't work out, but he seems like a great guy.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 14, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
Good call. I wish I'd seen it so I could have relaxed. Not a Kepp fan.

Wait, this is possible?

I've mailed you a brick of pure Mexican heroin - it will arrive in an unmarked wrapper.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 14, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
And there it is, where was my post before the season started about him never playing a game with the Sox?

Don't hate me for saying this because it's based on a foggy memory but I think I recall a much earlier post than that maybe some time during last season that said the organization loved Kepp. Sorry if I'm wrong . Impossible to research. Must be cheaper to run this site with the search always off.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2014 -> 04:09 PM)
Because we have a ton of outfield prospects who need playing time right now?

Pick your poison... Sorry my spite for dumb players is showing

QUOTE (JoshPR @ May 14, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)
Pick your poison... Sorry my spite for dumb players is showing

De Aza's WAR each year here 2.6 (limited time), 2.7, 2.2. Perhaps that is an aging player, but it still is someone who was undoubtedly a contributor. I can understand Jordan Danks as purely a defensive OF, but right now we need a well-rounded guy playing everyday, and that's De Aza. If the bat does not return to form, this will be it for him..but in the context of 2014 he absolutely is getting whatever leash necessary.

If Trayce T was ready, that'd be a different story...but that is a not-yet situation.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 14, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
De Aza's WAR each year here 2.6 (limited time), 2.7, 2.2. Perhaps that is an aging player, but it still is someone who was undoubtedly a contributor. I can understand Jordan Danks as purely a defensive OF, but right now we need a well-rounded guy playing everyday, and that's De Aza. If the bat does not return to form, this will be it for him..but in the context of 2014 he absolutely is getting whatever leash necessary.

If Trayce T was ready, that'd be a different story...but that is a not-yet situation.

Valid points all around, which is corroborated by the Sox front office having to go to the waiver wire to find a warm body to play while Eaton is on the DL.