Adam Eaton "Racial" Tweet Controversy

Jose Abreu

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The irony is that one of the main reasons Donald Trump is doing so well this primary season is for representing the antithesis of this trend...being in a position (billionaire status definitely helps here, since he doesn't have a boss) to say whatever he wants, whenever he wants to say it.

Fwiw, this was an area Michael Jordan was a master at...largely managing not to offend anyone, at least during his playing career. The flip side is that he was criticized within the African-American community for not being more outspoken about social and economic issues for someone who was in a position to be so influential as a role model and global marketing icon.

Of course the argument was that he merely kept his thoughts to himself in the service of Nike profitability.

If you're going to take a shot at the White Sox from high in your media tower, this is a pretty ridiculous one.

Kenny Williams/Dave Wilder, Kim Ng, Minnie Minoso, Tony LaRussa, Ozzie Guillen as manager...the White Sox have always been at the forefront of minority hiring and outreach.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 02:25 AM)
It's not what he said it's the fact that he said it. In this politically correct paradigm you should know better than to talk about race if A.) You're a professional athelete and B.) you're a white male. There is no upside from his comments. I don't think they're offensive, I don't think they're important but the guy needs to sensor himself on certain topics. We, regular people, have that luxury. He doesn't. His past transgressions matter.

I really don't understand why it matters. Just because he's a white athlete he can't talk about equality?

Fairly certain it was all in reference to the whole Boycott the Oscar's thing. A lot of public figures have talked about it, why can't he?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 06:39 AM)
I really don't understand why it matters. Just because he's a white athlete he can't talk about equality?

Fairly certain it was all in reference to the whole Boycott the Oscar's thing. A lot of public figures have talked about it, why can't he?

i for 1 am in agreement. that is or this is the confusion of the whole tweet. how is it a racist remark ???

prove that, then there is a case, if not, it is BS.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 12:53 AM)
It doesn't matter. Most of the stuff we talk about on here really doesn't matter. He has no incentive to talk about it.

You say "public figures" are talking about but I am sure you mean actors. So actors are talking about something happening/supposedly happening in the acting world. If there was a race issue being addressed in baseball, then he obviously he has every right to be involved.

I guarantee you he wishes this situation didn't happen. There's reason for that.

I agree, but his incentive was really (unrealistic) trying to stop racist conversation and appreciate everybody at the Oscars as an American. There was at least reason behind the original tweet.

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 09:52 PM)
So someone uses his status as "celebrity" to try and promote a message about peace and love among all human beings and that is considered racist?

Am I missing something here.

And this is exactly why we never get anywhere on race relations in this country.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 08:04 AM)
Yeah this thread title really needs to be changed. You can claim his comments were dumb, shortsighted, unnecessary or whatever you want, but in no way were they at all racist. Very misleading.

I think you're misinterpreting it. I made the title and I don't think the tweets are racist. The controversy (which is undeniable) regards the tweets being perceived by many as racist, hence, Adam Eaton Racist Twitter Controversy. If a mod wants to add a softening word between "Eaton" and "Racist" or remove "Racist" altogether, then so be it.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 08:08 AM)
I think you're misinterpreting it. I made the title and I don't think the tweets are racist. The controversy (which is undeniable) regards the tweets being perceived by many as racist, hence, Adam Eaton Racist Twitter Controversy. If a mod wants to add a softening word between "Eaton" and "Racist" or remove "Racist" altogether, then so be it.

How about' 'racial' instead of 'racist'?

QUOTE (aryzner @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)

They love turning a non-story into a story as long as it includes the White Sox.

well at least the sox FO has a built in diversion of not getting a OF'er.

QUOTE (aryzner @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 09:00 AM)

They love turning a non-story into a story as long as it includes the White Sox.

Rosenbloom sucks but he also basically has to write one of these a day. It's not a surprise he can only burp out 2 or 3 dumb lines, especially in slow season.

edit: so I'm saying that I don't think they pick on the white sox. Bulls get it way worse right now.

Edited by bmags