Could you root for Sox losses

Princess Dye

During games, I root for the Bears to lose. It's easy. They're bad, there aren't that many games, and football is my third or fourth favorite sport.

With the Sox it's more complicated for me. The Cubs turned losing into Bryant, Baez, etc. They may rip off 3 ringz in 5 years, and it happened with losing, smart drafting and THEN free agent signings.

But to mimic it, we have to be very bad for at least a few years. To jump right back in in 2018 is taking half measures (but not like the usual Sox 'half measure', granted)

Now, the Sox have been cutting guys that those bad Cubs teams had at the forefront (i.e. Mike Olt) so it may be very difficult for us to be THAT bad. Even after a total firesale, we probably still have quality contributors like rodon/anderson/saladino - and then other guys like melky, lawrie and shields who are still veterans and capable of creating wins.

So a couple questions: how bad can we be, and can you root for badness, or is it not in your makeup to do so?

Edited by Jose Paniagua

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 09:59 AM)
During games, I root for the Bears to lose. It's easy. They're bad, there aren't that many games, and football is my third or fourth favorite sport.

With the Sox it's more complicated for me. The Cubs turned losing into Bryant, Baez, etc. They may rip off 3 ringz in 5 years, and it happened with losing, smart drafting and THEN free agent signings.

But to mimic it, we have to be very bad for at least a few years. To jump right back in in 2018 is taking half measures (but not like the usual Sox 'half measure', granted)

Now, the Sox have been cutting guys that those bad Cubs teams had at the forefront (i.e. Mike Olt) so it may be very difficult for us to be THAT bad. Even after a total firesale, we probably still have quality contributors like rodon/anderson/saladino - and then other guys like melky, lawrie and shields who are still veterans and capable of creating wins.

So a couple questions: how bad can we be, and can you root for badness, or is it not in your makeup to do so?

Sox fans won't actively root against the ball club, but the losses (and believe me, there will be plenty of them) won't sting as much knowing it leads to a higher draft slot

No, I could never root for my team to lose. However, it does make me a lot less upset when I think we will benefit out of it in the long run. This year I will be a lost less invested in wins and losses and more curious as to how individual pieces perform. Anderson still isn't a sure thing, I still think Sanchez has a chance to be a good player given his track record in the minors, and it will be interesting to see if the Sox can dumpster dive again this year (Latos) but profit off it at the deadline.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
Sox fans won't actively root against the ball club, but the losses (and believe me, there will be plenty of them) won't sting as much knowing it leads to a higher draft slot

The casual fans won't like the idea of losing. They may understand that the team is rebuilding and expect a losing season, but they won't see the big picture and understand that having one of the first few draft pics could be huge for the future. I would say standby for much hang-wringing and belly-aching over the team losing.

Personally I get it, and I've seen the success of the Cubs and how they did it. I will be more than okay with losses provided I see some development of the guys of the future.

I don't want to see this team losing for years just to get a high draft choice. How many of those high draft choices turn out to be good? (Remember Jared Mitchell?) I've been told by numerous people that JR hates losing. It'll be curious to see how he reacts if this team keeps losing for years. I still think the team is going to be sold within 3 years. By that time this team won't have any big contracts on the books. It's alot easier to sell a team if it doesn't have any big contracts to payout.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 10:08 AM)
I don't want to see this team losing for years just to get a high draft choice. How many of those high draft choices turn out to be good? (Remember Jared Mitchell?) I've been told by numerous people that JR hates losing. It'll be curious to see how he reacts if this team keeps losing for years. I still think the team is going to be sold within 3 years. By that time this team won't have any big contracts on the books. It's alot easier to sell a team if it doesn't have any big contracts to payout.

I would not mind being the worst team in Baseball if it meant we get to draft Seth Beer #1 overall in the 2018 draft

He was an absolute stud as a freshman this season at Clemson

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
No, I could never root for my team to lose. However, it does make me a lot less upset when I think we will benefit out of it in the long run. This year I will be a lost less invested in wins and losses and more curious as to how individual pieces perform. Anderson still isn't a sure thing, I still think Sanchez has a chance to be a good player given his track record in the minors, and it will be interesting to see if the Sox can dumpster dive again this year (Latos) but profit off it at the deadline.

HE'LL YES!!!!!! If we don't get the ist pick in the draft I'm going to be upset. I hope all the young guys that will be builiding around like Rodon and Anderson do good along with anyone i think we will be trading like maybe Abrue or Jones if they are still on the roster. It won't even be difficult to do. I don't want to miss a chance on if the next Harper or Brynt is coming out. I will be rooting against them BIGTIME.

Edited by SoxSteve

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
I would not mind being the worst team in Baseball if it meant we get to draft Seth Beer #1 overall in the 2018 draft

He was an absolute stud as a freshman this season at Clemson

Yeah hopefully he keeps hitting that way the next 2 seasons and we continue trading off important pieces.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)
Yeah hopefully he keeps hitting that way the next 2 seasons and we continue trading off important pieces.

Beer put up a 1.235 OPS as a freshman

That is beyond Babe Ruth esque

If there is a time to tank for a player, here it is

Thigns can change of course, but Beer is looking every bit the part of a future stud

Depending on who they trade off, they could easily be a 50-60 win team next season, and I am more than ok with that. I will actually go out to the stadium and have fun again because I know the team has a direction and a purpose. People think that the Sox will need to suck for a few years to accumulate the talent necessary to really turn this around and I honestly disagree. 2017 will be awful, but in 2018, this team will be quite competitive once again. They will probably need some more development from bats to be a playoff team at that point, but I think between the pitching and potential good defense, they will be pretty solid. 2019 I think they definitely have the makings of a playoff team. Next couple of years are going to be pretty exciting, and while I wont actively root for them to ever lose, I am completely ok with it.

Losses are great....as long as there is visible progress. The best thing to do during a rebuild is probably to tune out the team as a whole and concentrate on individuals. If we lose 105 games but Rodon looks like a constant TOR guy, Anderson shows improved plate discipline, and the prospects that come up as the season goes along look promising I'll be happy. It all has to be for the bigger picture...progress is key.

Oh, and minor league box scores...they will be a must check every night this year.

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 10:22 AM)
Depending on who they trade off, they could easily be a 50-60 win team next season, and I am more than ok with that. I will actually go out to the stadium and have fun again because I know the team has a direction and a purpose. People think that the Sox will need to suck for a few years to accumulate the talent necessary to really turn this around and I honestly disagree. 2017 will be awful, but in 2018, this team will be quite competitive once again. They will probably need some more development from bats to be a playoff team at that point, but I think between the pitching and potential good defense, they will be pretty solid. 2019 I think they definitely have the makings of a playoff team. Next couple of years are going to be pretty exciting, and while I wont actively root for them to ever lose, I am completely ok with it.

We are all wishing the rebuild will move that quickly, but more than likely fans need to be prepared for a more lengthy amount of time to get back to being competitive.

I see the 2017 and 2018 Sox being a bottom 5-8 club

2019 I think we get to .500 or slightly above

2020-2023 we compete for the division each season

Sox fans should prepare to be very patient, as rebuilding takes time. These prospects are unlikely to come up to the big leagues and dominate right away, there will be growing pains and a waiting game for players to develop.

Definitely going to feel different going to games than last year (though I never really expected them to win). Now I won't have to see guys like Sale, Eaton and Abreu on one team playing making me disappointed that they can't put a good product around them. Now it'll be something to do on a Friday or Saturday with no expectations enjoying a nice night/day at the park with a hot dog and cold beer in each hand.

I would have zero interest attending, watching on TV, or listening on the radio to a White Sox game if I didn't want them to win.

I get the concept, but people have been cheering for the Bulls, Bears and Sox to lose for years. It gets old. Too gung ho about losses. If it leads to Sean Beer and he's a superstar, and leads the White Sox to the playoffs every year, you can all tell me you got me. But there seems to be a pretty big competition to see who can be the worst team in baseball these days.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
I would have zero interest attending, watching on TV, or listening on the radio to a White Sox game if I didn't want them to win.

I get the concept, but people have been cheering for the Bulls, Bears and Sox to lose for years. It gets old. Too gung ho about losses. If it leads to Sean Beer and he's a superstar, and leads the White Sox to the playoffs every year, you can all tell me you got me. But there seems to be a pretty big competition to see who can be the worst team in baseball these days.

I was thinking the same thing. I probably won't watch much on TV except for when someone interesting is promoted, we are playing a team who has a player I enjoy seeing play/pitch (Mike Trout as an example), or nothing to do after a long day of work.

I'm already actively doing so and the season hasn't even started yet. I want them to be as bad as possible to get the best player possible to add to the core of the franchise for the compete window, which could be as early as 2019 depending in part on what the team gets out of the next two drafts. I'm hoping the White Sox get the #1 pick and the best player is a college hitter, such as Seth Beer who many here have talked about. That would accelerate this process greatly IMO.