Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Soxsi75

Marshall Needs To Be Sent Down

Recommended Posts

Not to rain on the parade of the fact that we won last night or that we're playing well right now, but Marshall needs to be sent down. He doesn't have command of anything he's throwing right now and last night proved he can't even be trusted to pitch with an eight run lead.  If he goes down, maybe he can find himself again at Charlotte. At least the minor leagues have started back up again with real competition instead of just the "Schaumburg alternative site," which truly was nothing more than scrimmaging. But he can't be trusted with anything. If he stays up, the only games or situations he should be allowed to pitch should be games we don't have any chance of winning. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone pull up the thread of people advocating extending him prior to the season?😮

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He doesn't have options, so it would be a DFA.  I think they'll give him a bit more time before they send him packing.  

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would like to see what Tyler Johnson can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

He doesn't have options, so it would be a DFA.  I think they'll give him a bit more time before they send him packing.  

Hate that rule of "not having options" because of reasons like this, but I guess it is what it is. So have to go with my second option I mentioned. He can only pitch in games we have no chance to win. Mop up when we're down 5 runs. He shouldn't be out there when we have ANY kind of lead or if the game is close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zisk said:

Would like to see what Tyler Johnson can do.

You saying there aren't any other options?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zisk said:

Would like to see what Tyler Johnson can do.

He’s sporting an 11.22 FIP in AAA right now so going to say he’s not ready just yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

Hate that rule of "not having options" because of reasons like this, but I guess it is what it is. So have to go with my second option I mentioned. He can only pitch in games we have no chance to win. Mop up when we're down 5 runs. He shouldn't be out there when we have ANY kind of lead or if the game is close. 

Yeah, I mean options are there to protect the player.   But I hear ya. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think relievers are fickle creatures. I probably would have sent Jose Ruiz packing as he pissed me off through the years.  But, He is looking pretty damn good right now. 

I would just switch Ruiz and Marshalls rolls as of now. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kwill said:

I think relievers are fickle creatures. I probably would have sent Jose Ruiz packing as he pissed me off through the years.  But, He is looking pretty damn good right now. 

I would just switch Ruiz and Marshalls rolls as of now. 

Agreed!! Was thinking the exact same thing!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, zisk said:

Would like to see what Tyler Johnson can do.

Tyler Johnson needs to figure himself out right now.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

They can always put him on the 10 day IL for rest, or to work on mechanics.

Would like to see the Sox go with 9 relievers until Engel returns, DFA Jake Lamb. There are two DHs, bring up Reynaldo Lopez or Steiver for one or both starts.

By pulling Kopech to start tomorrow, and being cautious with Crochet (1 outing in 15 days), you’re using six primary bullpen arms, and will burn out or injure players with over usage. Heuer pitched the last three games, 17,11 and 18 pitches, and has pitched in 15 games, on pace for 71 regular season games.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They can always put him on the 10 day IL for rest, or to work on mechanics.

Would like to see the Sox go with 9 relievers until Engel returns, DFA Jake Lamb. There are two DHs, bring up Reynaldo Lopez or Steiver for one or both starts.

By pulling Kopech to start tomorrow, and being cautious with Crochet (1 outing in 15 days), you’re using six primary bullpen arms, and will burn out or injure players with over usage. Heuer pitched the last three games, 17,11 and 18 pitches, and has pitched in 15 games, on pace for 71 regular season games.

Stiever, no way...not ready for prime time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They can always put him on the 10 day IL for rest, or to work on mechanics.

Would like to see the Sox go with 9 relievers until Engel returns, DFA Jake Lamb. There are two DHs, bring up Reynaldo Lopez or Steiver for one or both starts.

By pulling Kopech to start tomorrow, and being cautious with Crochet (1 outing in 15 days), you’re using six primary bullpen arms, and will burn out or injure players with over usage. Heuer pitched the last three games, 17,11 and 18 pitches, and has pitched in 15 games, on pace for 71 regular season games.

Wut? You are throwing away games using Lopez and steiver.  No reliever is in danger of over work in the middle of May.  Just switch Marshall with Ruiz problem solved.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

"Throwing away games" in May? Don't think so. You can floor the gas pedal 162 games, and expect anything in the gas tank come September and October. Baseball is a grind.

Can also bring either up, or someone else, as long man to eat the innings you lose with Kopech starting.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

"Throwing away games" in May? Don't think so. You can floor the gas pedal 162 games, and expect anything in the gas tank come September and October. Baseball is a grind.

Can also bring either up, or someone else, as long man to eat the innings you lose with Kopech starting.

Good lord.  There is no need to bring up AAAA gas cans so you can cut your hated Lamb.  This is some WSI level agenda posting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They can always put him on the 10 day IL for rest, or to work on mechanics.

Would like to see the Sox go with 9 relievers until Engel returns, DFA Jake Lamb. There are two DHs, bring up Reynaldo Lopez or Steiver for one or both starts.

By pulling Kopech to start tomorrow, and being cautious with Crochet (1 outing in 15 days), you’re using six primary bullpen arms, and will burn out or injure players with over usage. Heuer pitched the last three games, 17,11 and 18 pitches, and has pitched in 15 games, on pace for 71 regular season games.

I don't think now they can go with less relievers, they have too many games coming up without days off.  They are gonna need those arms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The issue as I posted in the game thread is that Crochet and Kopech seem to be on some set calendar and as such are unavailable on certain days.  Ruiz was viewed as the mop up man.  This shortens the bullpen greatly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don't think now they can go with less relievers, they have too many games coming up without days off.  They are gonna need those arms

I agree, that is why I want a 9 up, they currently have 8, but Kopech starting makes it seven (Crochet's absence made it 6 except for Tuesdays game).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The issue as I posted in the game thread is that Crochet and Kopech seem to be on some set calendar and as such are unavailable on certain days.  Ruiz was viewed as the mop up man.  This shortens the bullpen greatly.

 

It would help if they had another swing man.  The problem with Kopech is that we really don't know if they are limiting him because they want him starting later in the year or if this is just the plan he's on with his rehab after missing last year and the surgery.  Regardless, the effect is the same and really the easiest solution as noted upthread is just for now to switch Ruiz and Marshall.  Let Marshall be the mopup guy for now if they need someone to own an L and hopefully with this level of SP it doesn't occur often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still a believer in Marshall, but he'll need nights like last night for opportunities to get on track. Knowing Ruiz is succeeding is helpful to take marshall's former place, but stuff-wise, his pitches are still moving a lot. I think he's just in a rut with command and it's making him too cautious.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It very well may be that Marshall had his good 2 years, and that's it, and it's fortunate that the Sox were there for his 2 good years.  That said, there really is no one in AAA to replace him that I can tell.  So just hang on for another month or 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d give him two more stress less outings, see how he responds. Unfortunately he might be just returning to his pre 2019 form. Foster looking like doo doo also, but a major league bullpen tends to be a carousel from year to year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kwill said:

I think relievers are fickle creatures. I probably would have sent Jose Ruiz packing as he pissed me off through the years.  But, He is looking pretty damn good right now. 

I would just switch Ruiz and Marshalls rolls as of now. 

Agreed, Ruiz is having a fantastic season!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marshall is fine for now, we still need arms to throw meaningless innings in blowout games whether were up or down. Hopefully, he can get back on track but I don't see the urgency to remove him from the roster at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×