Chris Sale scratched from start

Baron

The whole Robin is the one that has to fight for us in that department...that he (Ventura) was essentially "selling out" by backing ownership/marketing over the concerns of players that were clearly expressed on multiple occasions before that day?

Curious the spin is defending Sale more than backing Ventura/Hahn.

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 09:04 PM)
The whole Robin is the one that has to fight for us in that department...that he (Ventura) was essentially "selling out" by backing ownership/marketing over the concerns of players that were clearly expressed on multiple occasions before that day?

Curious the spin is defending Sale more than backing Ventura/Hahn.

1.) I don't see it as "spin" - just an article citing pretty damned objectively what Sale said in his recent interview.

2.) It is a managers job to put his players in the best position to win. I'd say that's a pretty universally accepted objective part of managing a pro sports team as well.

3.) According to Sale - he brought up this uniform issue to the team during offseason fitting - stating then that, "he wouldn't wear them on his day to pitch." He brought it up the day before the game... Then again before the game on the day of. I just see this as new information.

4.) In the end - he still said what he did was wrong... And it was.

I'm in no way defending Sale's actions - they were absurd. At this point thou - it's time to just f***ing move on. Hopefully Sale can use this in that way as well. Move on ( like he claims to be seeking to ) and respond more maturely next time.

Or, f*** it -- just hire Eclhart Tolle as an "Ego Consultant" for the entire team.

There, that's the best solution possible.

Sale is actually right. Robin had to have Sale's back on this. What if Sale would have hurt his arm wearing that s*** jersey? It would have come out that he hated the jersey and didn't want to wear it and somebody woulda been in deep trouble. Don't laugh. He hated the jersey. He might have gotten hurt that night and been able to blame whomever wanted them to wear the collars.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 10:58 PM)
I don't understand what the big fuss is about his statements. He took responsibility, said there was regret on his end, expressed no continued ill will, and still believes in his underlying concern.

^This sums it up best^

I don't like the childish side of Sale and for me it has gotten old but I like his comments. f*** it, if he can move on from it then so can I. :)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 02:56 AM)
Sale is actually right. Robin had to have Sale's back on this. What if Sale would have hurt his arm wearing that s*** jersey? It would have come out that he hated the jersey and didn't want to wear it and somebody woulda been in deep trouble. Don't laugh. He hated the jersey. He might have gotten hurt that night and been able to blame whomever wanted them to wear the collars.

Sale handled this totally wrong. If he was against the uni's so much, he should have taken a bunch of them out to the field and burned them in front of the fans.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 01:56 AM)

You don't speak out of school on this. Throwing Robin under the bus is completely inappropriate.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 11:56 PM)

Then Sale should have refused to play in that uniform Saturday and left or been scratched. If he cut up his own uniform to accomplish not playing and to make a point, no problem. The "flu" excuse probably would have worked.

He had no right to destroy the rest of the uniforms.

It sounds a little like the some of the players probably didn't want to wear them just because they didn't like them, and Sale was going to be a great "team leader" by refusing to wear them.

He handled it all wrong and should have worn them. On the other hand, they knew this day was coming all season, and they should have had plenty of time to alter the uniform any way he (they) wanted....and even throw bullpen sessions leading up to it. It shouldn't have been a day of game revolt. Terrible.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 10:26 PM)
What is the compromise? It was a long term planned give away day. Of course you are wearing the jersey that day. Sale is an idiot to think otherwise.

The compromise could've been as simple as starting him one day sooner after the AS break. Then his start in the rotation wouldn't have fallen on that day and this whole mess could've been avoided.

They've known about this promotion since ST and they've known about Sale's objections to wearing the uniform for just as long. Steps to prevent the situation could've and should've been taken. That's absolutely on the FO and Robin.

Sale handled the situation poorly and I do not condone his actions but it should've never gotten to that point either.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 01:56 AM)

Having been in the medical field for 30 years I can say that wearing that jersey would not cause him to hurt his arm. Sale is complaining that he wouldn't pitch as effectively.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 23, 2016 -> 10:18 PM)
You seriously believe that wearing a different uniform makes a difference in winning?

This is the difference in winning? Wearing a different jersey?

I'm sure KW didn't care about the promotional day other than "ok Brooks."

I bet he'd be winning more in that comfy Texas jersey or a Baltimore jersey. The jersey is why those teams have a few more wins.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 07:26 AM)
Sale handled this totally wrong. If he was against the uni's so much, he should have taken a bunch of them out to the field and burned them in front of the fans.

Actually blowing them up would have been a great promotion. Against Detroit would work. Allow anyone into the game for .98 and any replica jersey. Better if there is a doubleheader.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 12:25 AM)
1.) I don't see it as "spin" - just an article citing pretty damned objectively what Sale said in his recent interview.

2.) It is a managers job to put his players in the best position to win. I'd say that's a pretty universally accepted objective part of managing a pro sports team as well.

3.) According to Sale - he brought up this uniform issue to the team during offseason fitting - stating then that, "he wouldn't wear them on his day to pitch." He brought it up the day before the game... Then again before the game on the day of. I just see this as new information.

4.) In the end - he still said what he did was wrong... And it was.

I'm in no way defending Sale's actions - they were absurd. At this point thou - it's time to just f***ing move on. Hopefully Sale can use this in that way as well. Move on ( like he claims to be seeking to ) and respond more maturely next time.

Or, f*** it -- just hire Eclhart Tolle as an "Ego Consultant" for the entire team.

There, that's the best solution possible.

They aren't going to change an entire promotion day just because Chris Sale doesn't like something. He needs to f***ing get over it, and realize that this is the stuff that pays his salary. He doesn't get a choice. There is no negotiations. This isn't an option.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 07:45 AM)
You don't speak out of school on this. Throwing Robin under the bus is completely inappropriate.

Chris Sale made the big deal about keeping stuff in the clubhouse earlier this season, but here he is publicly throwing Ventura to the dogs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)
Chris Sale made the big deal about keeping stuff in the clubhouse earlier this season, but here he is publicly throwing Ventura to the dogs.

Ithink it's becoming pretty obvious that with his actions and to a lesser extent Eatons actions, that they are very pro union and very anti management. His rationale and comments are going to be likean argument in the buster, very one sided and biased based and he will see his views and actions as correct.

This is reminding me of last year when Rick Hahn was a genius until the moves didn't work out, then it was all KW's fault.

Now Sale is an idiot, must be traded...until he said it's Robin's fault. Then, you know Sale really didn't do anything any sane person would have done if his manager told him he had to wear the uniform the team put out.

Edited by Dick Allen

Sale acted like a toddler having a fit in the store because his mommy wouldn't buy him candy. The club had the backbone to send him home. Sometimes the hero fails and the evil empire wins. This is one of those times.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 10:45 AM)
This is reminding me of last year when Rick Hahn was a genius until the moves didn't work out, then it was all KW's fault.

Now Sale is an idiot, must be traded...until he said it's Robin's fault. Then, you know Sale really didn't do anything any sane person would have done if his manager told him he had to wear the uniform the team put out.

Welcome to pro union Chicagoland. It's always the fault of the boss and management!

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
Welcome to pro union Chicagoland. It's always the fault of the boss and management!

I think it is more universal than that. We cheer the players. The club promotes players.

I was really looking forward to seeing the old uniforms. Does anyone know if they were planning to wear the white pants or blue pants with those jerseys? Either way it would have been cool. Kinda partial to the all blue but those were the road uniforms. Also I really hope this doesn't stop them from wearing the uniforms again. Yeah they are bad but they are the first uniforms I saw the sox wear.

QUOTE (Baseball palace of world @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)
I was really looking forward to seeing the old uniforms. Does anyone know if they were planning to wear the white pants or blue pants with those jerseys? Either way it would have been cool. Kinda partial to the all blue but those were the road uniforms. Also I really hope this doesn't stop them from wearing the uniforms again. Yeah they are bad but they are the first uniforms I saw the sox wear.

Welcome to Soxtalk!

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)

I haven't seen anyone agreeing with what Sale did. It seems to be pretty universally accepted that Chris was wrong. But management definitely shoulders some of the blame here as well.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 10:52 PM)
I don't think Robin should be the manager, however you shouldn't throw your manager under the bus like that

When you're a lame duck like Robin, you allow players to do it. Really shows how Robin isn't in control of the clubhouse whatsoever.