2017 MLB DRAFT

Boopa1219

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 08:14 PM)
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/top-ranked-col...-235801741.html

Top Oregon State pitcher outed as convicted sex offender from when he was just 15.

Wow... molested a girl for two years when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. I'm all for second chances but I also see sex offenders in a very low way. Hope he has a good life helping people and staying on the right path... also hope he never plays in the majors.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 11:39 PM)
Wow... molested a girl for two years when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. I'm all for second chances but I also see sex offenders in a very low way. Hope he has a good life helping people and staying on the right path... also hope he never plays in the majors.

It was a family member of his, whether that makes it better or worse, I have no idea. Whether it matters, I'm sure it doesn't.

http://www.athleticsnation.com/2017/6/7/15...w-hanging-fruit

Here's an interesting take on Beck...all centered on inability to hit pitches low in the strike zone.

Then says he still likes Beck over Haseley, Smith, etc.

But wants them to draft Brent Rooker at six. What?

http://www.athleticsnation.com/2017/6/5/15...welcome-oakland

Makes long and detailed case for Rooker here...

Jerry brewer knows a lot about the baseball swing but he is not a scout and doesn't consider age, position, body projection, defense and other stuff that scouts do.

He is an excellent hitting coach but I wouldn't take his word for gospel when it comes to scouting.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 09:59 AM)
New Callis mock. Kendall again. So much consensus.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/235304580/ro...picid=151437456

Gross. Way too much swing and miss in his game. Don't want another toolsy athlete that will be great if we can teach him how to hit. I can just see him becoming another Mitchell or Hawkins.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 07:35 PM)
There are currently only 13 1b in the league with an OPS over .800. Only 11 last year at the end of the season. I think many on this board are too worried about position value over getting the best bat available.

Frank Thomas was 1B only, and not a good one. I think that pick at 7 worked out well. If they can hit, who cares? Besides, with the launch angle becoming a big thing, I think infield defense importance is going to start dropping a bit.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 10:45 AM)
Frank Thomas was 1B only, and not a good one. I think that pick at 7 worked out well. If they can hit, who cares? Besides, with the launch angle becoming a big thing, I think infield defense importance is going to start dropping a bit.

If we take a 1b that high I want them to be saying it's because he has a frank thomas/hof bat. If their ceiling is top 10 1b bat, there is just too much room that if they come under that projection at all they are fairly useless.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 10:23 AM)
Gonna be interesting to see some of the reactions on this board if the sox pass on Bukauskas for Kendall.

I think the organization feels that the #11 pick is likely best spent on a position player this year, although Bukauskas would be interesting if still on the board at #11

Two questions for people who are more familiar with some of the draft prospects:

1. Concerning Jeren Kendall's swing-and-miss issues: Does he have a good hit tool but happens to make a lot of outs on Ks (like Moncada), or is it that his hit tool isn't good and thus he strikes out a lot?

2. Taking out defense, who has the better overall bat: Evan White or Pavin Smith?

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)
Two questions for people who are more familiar with some of the draft prospects:

1. Concerning Jeren Kendall's swing-and-miss issues: Does he have a good hit tool but happens to make a lot of outs on Ks (like Moncada), or is it that his hit tool isn't good and thus he strikes out a lot?

2. Taking out defense, who has the better overall bat: Evan White or Pavin Smith?

Can only answer 1 - lots of debate. Law has said some teams consider him a 30 hit tool because of his swing and miss. Others would say he's like a Moncada (but I think TA is more helpful as Moncada has a fantastic eye and walks a lot), where he will always strike out, but he'll have good power, speed and defense.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
Gross. Way too much swing and miss in his game. Don't want another toolsy athlete that will be great if we can teach him how to hit. I can just see him becoming another Mitchell or Hawkins.

I agree with you, entirely. From an economic perspective; position players who can play good defense and have speed, can always be acquired relatively inexpensively.

It is the middle of the order, good hitters whose contracts create a strain on the payroll. Kendall does not profile as that kind of player.

My preference is for a potentially big run producer, ideally from the left side, regardless of the position they play.

I know some of you are not high on Pavin Smith, but if he were still there, I can't imagine that the Sox would take Kendall over him.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 01:02 PM)
My opinion means nothing, but since this is a Sox forum, I really hope we choose between:

Beck/Royce Lewis/Haseley/Hiura/Warmoth

why not burger? and do you think lewis drops that far as the top prep bat?

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 02:07 PM)
why not burger? and do you think lewis drops that far as the top prep bat?

I would take Burger too. I don't think Lewis falls, but one of the mocks today alluded to that possibility.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 10:21 AM)
My preference is for a potentially big run producer, ideally from the left side, regardless of the position they play...

Reading this I thought of Pavin before reading the rest of your post. I just hope they take the best available bat regardless of position or age. At this point my board goes:

Haseley

Smith

Beck

Burger

Kendall

Adell

Edited by hi8is

From Keith Law's latest chat:

Andy

1:38 It seems like Kendall has a really high ceiling, and a seemingly more possible floor of never making the majors. Does he have like a Cameron Maybin middle, ending up as a good fielder with huge Ks, but still a serviceable player?

Keith Law

1:39 That's a reasonable point of view.