Fangraphs Article

Y2Jimmy0

This is exactly why going for it one more time would be foolish, it's going to be a crazy seller's market this offseason. The 2017 trade deadline or even next offseason might not be as strong, as more teams could become sellers. Right now there are only a handful and none of them have the trade chips we have available to move. For once we need to take advantage of market conditions and sell like crazy.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 12:07 PM)
I didn't even think of Jones as a comparable to Giles of last off-season. If we were to receive a similar deal, whoa.

I don't think he would command as much as what Giles brought back, but he has a lot of value on the market. It would be foolish of the Sox to keep him if the package is there.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 04:22 PM)
Can you imagine the type of haul we would getting moving everyone but Eaton?

Regardless of how good we were in that situation, at least the story would be different.

Why the hell wouldn't you move Eaton too?

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 08:41 PM)
Right... move him too. I used to think about saving only Tim Anderson and Carlos Rodon, but I'd ship them out too if the package was right.

No one should be safe.

NO. You don't trade Tim or Rodon. That's laughable. They're part of the young core. We drafted and developed both. You need home grown players.

We could absolutely revamp this farm with young players by moving the likes of Sale, Q, Jones, Abreu, Frazier, Melky and Eaton. I'd keep Eaton, however, if someone gave you something too good to pass up you deal him as well.

To be 100% honest, I've been leaning more toward the White Sox should be buyers and get the guys like Encarnacion and Rich Hill and try to get a Ramos or trade for a Lucroy and sign Cespedes or something unreasonable. The more I see posts and articles giving sound reason as to why the Sox should sell, I believe I am now part of the group that wants the Sox to sell. The only player that I would hate to see go is Quintana, and a little bit Abreu. Both are hard working guys who go about their elite business in a quiet and humble way. But hearing how much talent the Sox could possibly get in return is very alluring. Maybe the Sox didn't make those trades at the deadline for a reason and actually knew what they were doing...waiting to get a better package in the off season.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 07:28 PM)
Why the hell wouldn't you move Eaton too?

Eaton is a tough call, he will be 28 by the start of opening day next year and is under contract if you max out his options for 5 years at 38.4 Mil, if you suspect he has a similar aging curve to say Alex Gordon his surplus value is nearly identical to Q if not a tick higher when taking into account both inflation and how his offseason is a sellers market. The only way he would get traded in my eyes would be something like Giolito and Robles from Washington. It makes sense for the nats since Werth is a FA after this year and is on the decline, and turner would be better served at SS so Eaton could split time between CF and LF and then move over when Werth is a FA or push Harper to left in the near future as well.

The reason you wouldn't move him or Anderson or Rodon is because they could be a part of the next contending team in 3 years and he is a face of the franchise that appeals to the blue collar base.

Edited by beautox

QUOTE (beautox @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 08:01 PM)
Eaton is a tough call, he will be 28 by the start of opening day next year and is under contract if you max out his options for 5 years at 38.4 Mil, if you suspect he has a similar aging curve to say Alex Gordon his surplus value is nearly identical to Q if not a tick higher when taking into account both inflation and how his offseason is a sellers market. The only way he would get traded in my eyes would be something like Giolito and Robles from Washington. It makes sense for the nats since Werth is a FA after this year and is on the decline, and turner would be better served at SS so Eaton could split time between CF and LF and then move over when Werth is a FA or push Harper to left in the near future as well.

The reason you wouldn't move him or Anderson or Rodon is because they could be a part of the next contending team in 3 years and he is a face of the franchise that appeals to the blue collar base.

I wonder whether Eaton would be a good person to have around if you moved all these other pieces.

QUOTE (beautox @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 11:01 PM)

That's a good point

I've moved into the total rebuild camp because it really is a unique opportunity, but it poses some really interesting questions.

First off, I think most of us would agree that it makes sense to hang on to Anderson, Rodon and Eaton. But, of course, everyone has a price and you should always listen to offers.

Now, let's say Hahn decides to go full nuclear option. Hypothetically ... They trade Sale and Quintana in megadeals to the Dodgers, Red Sox or Astros. They package Eaton and Abreu to, say, the Nats for God-knows-what. Jones and Melky get sent to San Francisco (OK, OK, so the Giants aren't big Cabrera fans after his PED suspension in 2012, but this is all a fantasy-baseball-esque dreamscape anyway). Robertson goes to a contender. Frazier, Lawrie ... maybe they stay because they don't have tons of value in this market. But maybe Hahn revisits that at the deadline. Avi ... still has zero value.

With ALL of those pieces on the move, the White Sox could realistically acquire anywhere from 10 to 25 prospects, a significant portion of them being high level to elite. Now, not all of them are going to be MLB-ready, obviously, and the big-league roster is now essentially bereft of any veteran presence. The interesting thing to me is figuring out how in the heck you go about putting a team on the field for the next two seasons. It reminds me of expansion teams, where they have to feed off the scraps. I mean, it would be one UGLY season, like 50 wins. A season where we're all looking at Charlotte and Birmingham box scores every night.

But the wave of talent -- considering it would be buttressed by likely back-to-back top-five picks in '18 and '19 -- arriving over the next two to four years would be IMMENSE.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 09:45 PM)
To be 100% honest, I've been leaning more toward the White Sox should be buyers and get the guys like Encarnacion and Rich Hill and try to get a Ramos or trade for a Lucroy and sign Cespedes or something unreasonable. The more I see posts and articles giving sound reason as to why the Sox should sell, I believe I am now part of the group that wants the Sox to sell. The only player that I would hate to see go is Quintana, and a little bit Abreu. Both are hard working guys who go about their elite business in a quiet and humble way. But hearing how much talent the Sox could possibly get in return is very alluring. Maybe the Sox didn't make those trades at the deadline for a reason and actually knew what they were doing...waiting to get a better package in the off season.

They haven't earned ANY benefit of doubt, but if Hahn is capable of trading Sale, Quintana, whomever else for a great package of talent, that'll go a long ways towards rebuilding trust in this organization.

QUOTE (FLsouthsider @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 11:38 PM)
I've moved into the total rebuild camp because it really is a unique opportunity, but it poses some really interesting questions.

First off, I think most of us would agree that it makes sense to hang on to Anderson, Rodon and Eaton. But, of course, everyone has a price and you should always listen to offers.

Now, let's say Hahn decides to go full nuclear option. Hypothetically ... They trade Sale and Quintana in megadeals to the Dodgers, Red Sox or Astros. They package Eaton and Abreu to, say, the Nats for God-knows-what. Jones and Melky get sent to San Francisco (OK, OK, so the Giants aren't big Cabrera fans after his PED suspension in 2012, but this is all a fantasy-baseball-esque dreamscape anyway). Robertson goes to a contender. Frazier, Lawrie ... maybe they stay because they don't have tons of value in this market. But maybe Hahn revisits that at the deadline. Avi ... still has zero value.

With ALL of those pieces on the move, the White Sox could realistically acquire anywhere from 10 to 25 prospects, a significant portion of them being high level to elite. Now, not all of them are going to be MLB-ready, obviously, and the big-league roster is now essentially bereft of any veteran presence. The interesting thing to me is figuring out how in the heck you go about putting a team on the field for the next two seasons. It reminds me of expansion teams, where they have to feed off the scraps. I mean, it would be one UGLY season, like 50 wins. A season where we're all looking at Charlotte and Birmingham box scores every night.

But the wave of talent -- considering it would be buttressed by likely back-to-back top-five picks in '18 and '19 -- arriving over the next two to four years would be IMMENSE.

Well, this is typically what happens when a team completely tears it down from the top down. The next few years would be ugly (probably REALLY ugly), but the future would be really bright in theory if they make the right trades.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 08:06 PM)
NO. You don't trade Tim or Rodon. That's laughable. They're part of the young core. We drafted and developed both. You need home grown players.

We could absolutely revamp this farm with young players by moving the likes of Sale, Q, Jones, Abreu, Frazier, Melky and Eaton. I'd keep Eaton, however, if someone gave you something too good to pass up you deal him as well.

Exactly. If someone wants to bowl you over for Eaton, you take a look at it because he's a little injury prone. But he is part of the main core, and is controlled just as long a Rodon is.